Kids booster or kids seat feedback

funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I am not sure if this is the correct location for this .....please move it if needed.

I am looking for some feedback on Kids Seat options for the new Truck. I figured I can't be the only Dad that needs this info so here we go. I would like to keep the back seat in to allow adult use and try and use the belts as well. my understanding is this

Booster Pad
or
Kids mini seat that sits on seat?

I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old both are like Parents Tall. I can add new belts or second set if needed as well. I have talk to a few buddies on here and have a good foundation of info from those talks.

Thanks for any feedback, I have added a picture of the current set up in the rear of truck.

Willie
Attachments
IMG_0262.PNG
IMG_0262.PNG (137.33 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I just ran a standard car seat like a regular daily driver. Use the lap belt to cinch it in and use the integrated harness from the seat.

I had a kids seat that sat in the bucket bet I thought the standard car seat worked better especially in rear bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Kids booster or kids seat feedback

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Most, if not all of the vendors have stopped making the "kids" seat for liability reasons. They can still be found used (just sold mine a couple months back) and they still work well. Keep in mind when PRP was making the kids seats I think they had 3 sizes. The "premie" or baby one, the kids & then the pre-teen. The smallest one should fit the 3 year old, but the 5 year old may need to go kids or pre-teen. Premie or kids can sit within a typical seat. People typically use the smaller 5 point harnesses through the big seat & around the little and kid to hold kids in. This may mean you'd have to keep a kids harness mounted within the bigger seat, which may not work for having an adult use the big seat.

I haven't tried the booster pads but have seen them. May work for the 5 yr. old.

It also seems a lot of guys do what Brian is saying & strap the regular car seat into the off road seat. Should work fine & keep them safe just like in a regular car.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

I did the same with a daily driver type car seat and lap belt to secure. Its sits them up high enough to see out the windows too. I just bought the car seat the had the highest bolsters to keep him in nice and tight.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I felt pretty secure with Jacob in the Recaro Car seats...started with the smaller one, then moved him up when he out grew it...with the tether location I had for the back, that thing wouldn't move at all, and I liked the head bolsters that would keep him from flopping from side to side... the bigger one would probably work well for your sasquatchian offspring ... although they are probably 5ft already
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

This is the last one Jacob was in ... and technically he could still be in I suppose
http://us.recaro-cs.com/child-seat/performance-sport
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

Thanks Guys, I am a fan of the use the safety stuff I already have.

Or if I do buy something it can be used in any vehicle I have!

It makes me feel good the sasquatchian blood line will be safe. Hah

Robert I am thinking the Racaro booster you sent with the belts would work best for both vs the booster no belts....thoughts? It also looks like a more comfortable seat.
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

I would strap them in as tight as possible...so I forced Jacob into the 5pt as long as I could...and he never complained about comfort
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

copy
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
alpinejd3
Bronco Info: 1991 EB Prerunner

Post by alpinejd3 »

Willie I am cutting the tabs off the two PRP boosters I have, your welcome to borrow one and test it out to see how you like it. I started my son in them when he was about 3 and felt that with the harnesses setup right for those boosters it was the best way to have him in nice and tight.
alpinejd3
Bronco Info: 1991 EB Prerunner

Post by alpinejd3 »

Also forgot to mention I have found that the reverse pull harnesses work better for the kids boosters and the kids in general. Cruise up one day and check out the bronco and try out the reverse pull setup and borrow one of the boosters.