8.8 spring perch/pad degrees

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Does anyone have hard data for the degrees of the factory shim/block and degrees required for lifts such as 2" and 4"? I may have opportunity to degree the factory spring perch/pad and lose any shims or blocks as I reassemble with custom 2 1/2" leaves. This for 1996 if it matters.

Thanks for your help.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

I want to say 24° off the pinion line. The stock perches are like 10°? I can measure when I get a chance
Stan the Man
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco, trail ready/sand loving.

Re: 8.8 spring perch/pad degrees

Post by Stan the Man »

I just had my perches hacked off and re-welded. The perches are at 10º, but I'm not sure what angle the shim is.
chucks187
Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.8 with a slightly above the Poverty Line set-up.

Post by chucks187 »

Did anyone ever get a for sure number? is 24 degrees of the pinion line were we wanna be without the shim?
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

I'm still working on the right person/place to wrench on my 8.8, but found this in the Ford manual:
IMG_4842 (Large).JPG
IMG_4842 (Large).JPG (321.05 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Sorry, I haven’t had worked on a bronco in a while. That last post showed 10.8° perch plus 12.5° shim which puts you at 23.3° off the pinion line. For a driveshaft with a double cardan joint you want the pinion to be inline with the driveshaft. But you also want the u joint to move a little at ride height to keep the needle bearings greased. So I issue angle it a few degrees off. Maybe 1-2°.

Ideally you would want to get the axle under the truck and, with the perches loose, jack up the axle into the springs up to ride height. Just make sure you measure both distances between the brake backing plates and perches to get it centered. Don’t measure from the pumpkin out because the pumpkin is not centered in the axle. You can put the driveshaft back in and jack the pinion up until it is inline with the driveshaft or you can use an angle finder to set it at 14° off level(kind of difficult if you are on any kind of incline or front/rear not the same height.)