Tailgate Wiring Harness!!

Bajabound
Bronco Info: 1993 Super charged 5.8

Post by Bajabound »

:?:
Ok so I'm new here so thank you for the time!
I have recently bought a 1993 Bronco XLT 5.8
AND LOVE IT

When shopping for broncos with a budget I was either finding stockers that are great but no parts.
Or kinda desert ready/abused Broncos
I found one that lets just say needs some tlc but had some good parts... strong motor etc...
I was hesitant to buy this bronco for these exact reasons below.

The guy took the shell off, and the tailgate (sold them for all i know) and built a cage that would not let the shell or tailgate come back onto it.
It was a hideous safari looking cage :/ i immediately hacked it off
So for now theres no cage

I knew this was going to a pain in my ass but it is proving to be more annoying than expected.
Getting to the point!
I bought two tailgates from different people both of them have the same three flat pronged circular plug that goes from the tailgate itself and plugs into the Broncos harness, behind the rear drivers side taillight.

Why do have two tailgates?
I bought a shell and it basically came with a tailgate for free with glass....score

When I got home and realized the thing was bent to hell so I found another one on craigslist. Better starting point
Anyway both of the tailgates, one proposed from a 94' and the other unknown year had the same style plug.

NEITHER of this tailgates plug into my 1993 broncos harness.
i have crawled under neath it several times and I do not have the same plugs I have more narrow plugs.
I have a few unused plugs my broncos harness .
They are the only ones that could power the tailgate motor with larger diameter wiring, like the tailgate harness.

Confused and curious

i went to the junkyard and looked at a Bronco late 80's model and low and behold and the wiring harness fit my tailgates.
From what i can tell i have bad info that all tailgates in those years are the same?
My tailgates i bought randomly are both the wrong ones?
It looks like I'm missing a 2-3ft section between the rear of the taillight (drivers side) to the plug between the gas tank and the rear hitch in that area.
I am dying from exhaust blow back through the cab and its cold etc etc.
My wife won't even ride with me lol

SOOOOO WHY WILL NEITHER OF THE TAILGATES FIT MY BRONCOS HARNESS?
And what do i do here?
Does ford sell the part of the harness i need?
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

This might help

You can always grab the connector from the junkyard that fits yours and splice it into the tailgate.