Max. Tire Size for Bronco's???

atomicjoe23
Bronco Info: Not yet. . .

Post by atomicjoe23 »

I'm looking into getting a Bronco and I'm curious about the maximum tire size for the Dana 44 TTB front end and the Ford 9". I have never had a Bronco or TTB before so just looking for some guidance; I have seen pre-runner/desert-race Bronco's with 39's on them quite a few time though. . .

It seems in the non-desert off-road world 37" seems to be the maximum recommended tire for a non-TTB Dana 44; I don't recall ever seeing a limit placed on the Ford 9".

I know the Ford 9" can be built as strong as you want and there are a LOT of options for beefing up the TTB front end as well so let's go with two scenarios:

First scenario, stock everything; second scenario, let's say cut & extended TTB with reinforcement plates, quality aftermarket gears, axles, etc. and a Ford 9" with 35 spline axles, quality gears, and top/back braces.

So you know why I'm asking. . .the plan is this Bronco will be donating it's chassis & drivetrain to body swap a vintage 4x4 (the wheelbases match, Bronco's are readily available at the right price, there are TONS of parts for them, and they seem to stay on the road for a LONG time. . .get's me a modern frame, EFI engine, better transmission. . .basically a much more reliable vehicle with better gas mileage while retaining the vintage style). I feel like the body I'm swapping will not look right with 35's. . .37's would probably look OK, but it's sitting on a stationary chassis right now with 40's and the proportions look good. . .this is why I'm asking.

This will be a general purpose fun rig; isn't a daily driver, won't see CRAZY rock-crawling and won't be raced in the desert. . .just general trail fun.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I’d say 35s for best reliability/piece of mind. You can run bigger but with out going full float your maxing out even a 35spline semi-float setup. I’d do backing plates or fabbed knuckle as well and 5/8 lugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Max. Tire Size for Bronco's???

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'd agree 35's max for real reliability.

What's the "vintage 4x4" that will be swapped on the frame? Scout or something?
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

will 9 inch be floater?
Motor HP?
Trail use will be fire road style?
do you enjoy vehicle prep?
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Just build/drive the bronco. Less headache and broncos are bad ass!

Most of the limitations on tire sailed comes from the body contacting the tires. Also the turning radius which is limited by the radius arms. Honestly, the bigger the tires the more pain in the but/more money to keep the truck happy. If you are going to jump/beat it those big tires wear out light duty truck bearings quickly.
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: None Anymore!

Post by S00TLYFE »

35s on a 4" with no glass, stock height, 33s if you trim the bumper.
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)