New rear gear recommendations

Needles929
Bronco Info: 95 Part Deux

Post by Needles929 »

Just pulled the cover off to find a spider gear chewed to crap! What should I replace it with? I am not sure that I want a locker cause it is a daily driver. Of course if anyone has a steal on a LS unit let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
biggiek
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Re: New rear gear recommendations

Post by biggiek »

There are some threads on here in regards to gears for tire size etc. Most run 4.56 with 35's but depending on driving habits bump to 4.88. In regards to a locker I am running the factory LS which is alright but there are numerous out there as you know. I would recommend scouring race dezert dezert rangers and facebook for a used set up that is how i got mine. I bought mine for 250 with 4.56 gears and the LS but spend another couple hundred reconditioning it.
Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

biggiek wrote:There are some threads on here in regards to gears for tire size etc. Most run 4.56 with 35's but depending on driving habits bump to 4.88. In regards to a locker I am running the factory LS which is alright but there are numerous out there as you know. I would recommend scouring race dezert dezert rangers and facebook for a used set up that is how i got mine. I bought mine for 250 with 4.56 gears and the LS but spend another couple hundred reconditioning it.
Thanks for the input. I am not a rear end guy at all. Just starting to research... I would like some more input as well. I need to do this quick and dirty as this is my daily driver for a while.

My rig has 33x12.50's now and probably won't get upgraded to 35's until after some suspension work is done. For driving habits, I mostly drive back and forth to work and mild off road on weekends. I won't be pushing any limits with the truck until I dive further into the build. Paying two mortgages right now and just relocated to AZ.

I do travel from AZ to So Cal a couple times a month and will be driving the Bronco to the dunes with a small trailer and bikes. I will probably just replace some parts in the factory 8.8 for now. I would rather not dick with the factory tone ring so I considered going with a relocation kit for the VSS.

What would be a good versatile rear end set up for what I do? Basic LS unit with 4:56 and just ditch the tone ring?....
95 Part Deux. Starting from scratch.
Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

Sorry guys, I am an idiot... To much work and lack of fun.

I was still thinking of rear end in my Ranger and completely dismissed the 4wd factor. I won't be re-gearing anything right now, just replacing what is broke. It drove less than a block from the time I heard something funny. The ring and pinion look okay. The spider has just 1 1/2 teeth missing/broke which damaged the tone ring as well.

I will probably just replace the spider and side gears with some Yukon's. I know jack about the tone ring though. How does that even attach?
95 Part Deux. Starting from scratch.
Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

I want to do this the right way and replace all bearings and seals. So I can only afford to replace everything with some Yukon stuff and keep the stock open diff. Good thing my bench doubles as a white board! Lol
I have never done this before but I would guess that there are way to many shims. Now for the tone ring... I can't find squat on removing it. You don't have to unbolt the ring gear right??

Yes I see that there some wasted shims... the axles look somewhat new also. What a waste! Replace half the essentials when doing the gears and not the rest! I don't understand it.

Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

Needles929 wrote:I want to do this the right way and replace all bearings and seals. So I can only afford to replace everything with some Yukon stuff and keep the stock open diff. Good thing my bench doubles as a white board! Lol
I have never done this before but I would guess that there are way to many shims. Now for the tone ring... I can't find squat on removing it. You don't have to unbolt the ring gear right??

Yes I see that there some wasted shims... the axles look somewhat new also. What a waste! Replace half the essentials when doing the gears and not the rest! I don't understand it.

Here you go Newbies like me! Lol
https://youtu.be/8iirGahHbCw

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk