Spindle data

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Spindle data

Post by PaulW »

I dug this out of my archives. I hope it is new. I don't remember if I posted the info.
The info is in the form of attachment so its out of a logical order
========= ====== ========
Super Motor comments go with the photo of the spindles:
Spindle Differences '80-96

In addition to the ~'92 loss of a spindle stud (leaving 5) and the addition of 2 notches in the spindle flange (Bronco only)
for the 4WABS sensor used on '93-96 Broncos only, the spindle was also redesigned in ~'95 to match the revised 2-piece inner wheel seal.
F150 spindle flanges were never notched or drilled for the 4WABS sensor, but are otherwise identical to the corresponding Bronco's.
I suspect the slot was lengthened around '86 for the self-locking spindle nut, but I haven't confirmed that.

'87-early '88 spindles for manual (top-hat flange-style) hub locks are significantly shorter overall, take a 1-piece hub/rotor, and have 6 stud holes.
===== ========== =====
PaulW's comments go with the table of dimensions below:
The dimensions at the bottom of the page were made by me from a large collection of spindles. Included were new aftermarket, and salvage replacements.
And 96 the which still had the original spindles. Lots of dollars were spent to get this data.
What does all the above mean?
It means that there are lots of Ford spindles out there and some aftermarket ones, like Yukon have it all wrong.
And the F150 and Bronco are not interchangeable.
So what to do?
I called the fab shop and they said we put them in the lathe and machine the step distance’s to match the damaged one.
The never put a replacement spindle without measuring to match the old one.
Attachments
SM Spindles.jpg
SM Spindles.jpg (110.93 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Spindle words.jpg
Spindle words.jpg (83.5 KiB) Viewed 440 times
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: Spindle data

Post by VintageIronFab »

http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
shockseals.com

Re: Spindle data

Post by shockseals.com »

One more picture to add to the thread...I plan to make a spacer for the old style 5 bolt so it will still work in a pinch. Anybody know where late model 5 bolts can be bought NOS or remakes? Does anybody know the late model ford part number?
Attachments
IMG_4304.jpg
IMG_4304.jpg (855.59 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com