Starter confusion

Bajaluv
Bronco Info: Bone stock, ready to build

Starter confusion

Post by Bajaluv »

So while in Mex last week my starter went out. No bid deal I took a taxi over to Autozone and exchanged my core for a new one. At first they appeared to be exactly the same to the eye, but I was wrong. After installing the new one on the side of the highway it would only spin and not engage the fly wheel ? I pulled it and gave it a roadside bench test and it functioned properly. Not having my old one anymore I was baffled by this. So I grabbed another taxi and went back to the parts store to compare my core up close to the new 92-96 bronco starter. Image

So you can see the only real difference is the gear side and about 1/4" longer. There were no real markings on the old one but we googled a small model number and it came back 1989 Ford thunderbird ? So I immediately purchased my core back from AutoZone to take it with me. This blew my mind because about 11 months ago I installed a brand-new starter. But I failed to mention that I just about three months ago replace my transmission with one that I picked up from Classifieds on here. So what I can only assume now is the shop and installed my new to me tranny had to replace my starter in order for it to work? I haven't been able to contact them because it's a holiday weekend. So now that I'm back from Mexico and enjoying the rest of the holiday weekend I did some research on a ford Thunderbird and they came factory with an AOD transmission ? Is there a chance what I thought was an E4 OD is actually an A0D in my Bronco currently ? Does this sound crazy to interview Bronco buffs ? Please help with my confusion lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Re: Starter confusion

Post by BDKW1 »

Pic of trans pan?
Bajaluv

Starter confusion

Post by Bajaluv »

BDKW1 wrote:Pic of trans pan?
The trans pan installed is the deep B&M pan, don't have pics currently but it was transferred over from my old E4OD.

e2e2
Bronco Info: Stock height 1992 f150.

Post by e2e2 »

Might be a std trans starter. Autos are a little longer i think?
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

E4OD pan will not fit on an AOD. Sounds more like you just got the wrong starter from Vatozone.
Bajaluv

Starter confusion

Post by Bajaluv »

e2e2 wrote:Might be a std trans starter. Autos are a little longer i think?
Ok I'll look into that ! Thank you

Bajaluv

Starter confusion

Post by Bajaluv »

BDKW1 wrote:E4OD pan will not fit on an AOD. Sounds more like you just got the wrong starter from Vatozone.

This is why I reach out to you guys !! That's good info thank you. Starter change out should of been easy, I was baffled.

funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I forgot 89-91 had AOD option along with stick shift.

92-96 stick shift and e4od only?
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports