Mirrors

acme
Bronco Info: Class 10 racecar and a ton of other stuff

Mirrors

Post by acme »

We'd like to swap the good old swing out truck style mirrors with a flag style since the ones we have are slightly hammered and due for replacement. Any suggestions for a flag style replacement on a '91. Anyone try the "Flag Style" from LMC?

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=97
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Mirrors

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

While I can't help with the LMC quality on mirrors I can give a little opinion on the flag mirrors & that is they tend to "wear" prematurely & get loose. I'd ask LMC if there's have the ability to tighten the ball & keep them from flapping in against your window while at speed. The mirrors (factory) on my '89 ranger used to do this & it drove me absolutely batty. I guess some of these mirrors have a way to tighten them so they don't do this (it also makes adjusting them take some more effort) and some do not.

The only other head's up is on LMC & it's something I've learned over years of talking with guys on the 70's truck rebuilds, etc. That is: LMC is a re-seller. They don't actually make any parts. All they do is take somone elses part & mark it up & re-sell it. They buy 2nds/blems from other manufacturer's to keep costs down. I know guys who have ordered parts from LMC & they come in a Dennis Carpenter box as LMC buys the blems from them it seems. The part in question (window seals/scrapers) were actually cheaper straight from Dennis Carpenter after looking. Know guys who have experienced this with a vast array of parts.
Point is - if LMC has it, you can typically find the same part cheaper somewhere else.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Amen- always shop parts unless you just like paying too much for the same shit.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Mirrors

Post by cs_drums »

I got the cheap convext mirror for racing and bolted them on place of the stockers with the included bracket. I love it. $$12 a piece at ORWImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Brian - is that a 4", 5" or 6" mirror? Looks like a 4" from the pic, but not a good scale reference to judge it off of.

By the way those mirrors are even cheaper on eBay or at truck stops/big rig or RV supply places.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
cs_drums

Mirrors

Post by cs_drums »

Yeah I think they are 4" impulse buy cause I too was dealing with floppy mirrors. Between that an the big convex rear view I'm happy

cs_drums

Mirrors

Post by cs_drums »

Maybe 5" actually I'd say bigger better I just got what they had