Alternator question

Bajaluv
Bronco Info: Bone stock, ready to build

Alternator question

Post by Bajaluv »

So I felt it was time for an alternator upgrade in my 91 bronco. But when I hit the buy now button lol, I did not know I purchased a 2 terminal or single wire.

Basically my question is, is this a good upgrade? What are the pros and cons of going to this style wiring? Ambridge wise I think I made the right choice but does anybody run a single wire alternator ? ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bajaluv

Alternator question

Post by Bajaluv »

Basically I would take the existing wiring and roll it up, zip tied it out-of-the-way.

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: Alternator question

Post by VintageIronFab »

If 130-200 amps works then just buy a 3G unit- it's literally change virtually nothing bolt on unit.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Bajaluv

Alternator question

Post by Bajaluv »

Yea that's the perfect range, I was just curious on the 1 wire connection VS good ol 3g. I did some research and haven't really found an CONs to this style.

Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: Alternator question

Post by 300 »

I run two of the Powermaster 105 amp single wire alternators on the race Bronco. They are basically a Delco 12s alternator stuffed in their own Ford case that bolts right in the older Ford motors. I like them and continue to run them. They take a beating and when I pull them apart after each race they have a shovel full of gravel and dirt in them. I have the 150 amp version on the shelf ready to bolt in, they use the same case. The only problems I have had were with the rotor, probably due to the mechanical damage from the gravel. Mind you this is an off road only application over 15 or 20 thousand race miles. The 105 amp unit will make 70 amps at idle. I load test each one before I put it back on.

I ran the Ford 65 amp alternators before this, and they just weren't up to the abuse, again usually because of vibration or physical internal damage. The wiring and external regulators are still in place on the truck because sometimes stuff happens and all you can find in Mexico is an alternator off a tractor. Otherwise the single wire works very well. We had surging problems with the combination of the 65 amp Ford alternators, external solid state regulators and Optima batteries. Changing any one of those items solved it, but the single wire is completely smooth.

They make higher amperage units, but I really didn't need the output, didn't want the extra rotating mass and anything over 100 amps will start slipping without multiple belt pulleys or wide serpentine belts. The 3G is a good unit, but when you are looking for parts in BFE, your chances of finding Delco parts are always going to be better.
Bajaluv

Alternator question

Post by Bajaluv »

300 wrote:I run two of the Powermaster 105 amp single wire alternators on the race Bronco. They are basically a Delco 12s alternator stuffed in their own Ford case that bolts right in the older Ford motors. I like them and continue to run them. They take a beating and when I pull them apart after each race they have a shovel full of gravel and dirt in them. I have the 150 amp version on the shelf ready to bolt in, they use the same case. The only problems I have had were with the rotor, probably due to the mechanical damage from the gravel. Mind you this is an off road only application over 15 or 20 thousand race miles. The 105 amp unit will make 70 amps at idle. I load test each one before I put it back on.

I ran the Ford 65 amp alternators before this, and they just weren't up to the abuse, again usually because of vibration or physical internal damage. The wiring and external regulators are still in place on the truck because sometimes stuff happens and all you can find in Mexico is an alternator off a tractor. Otherwise the single wire works very well. We had surging problems with the combination of the 65 amp Ford alternators, external solid state regulators and Optima batteries. Changing any one of those items solved it, but the single wire is completely smooth.

They make higher amperage units, but I really didn't need the output, didn't want the extra rotating mass and anything over 100 amps will start slipping without multiple belt pulleys or wide serpentine belts. The 3G is a good unit, but when you are looking for parts in BFE, your chances of finding Delco parts are always going to be better.

I really appreciate your feedback. Rolling up the existing wiring for future issues abroad totally makes sense. My bronco will not receive the abuse that your race Bronco does, so I feel very confident about this install. Again thank you for your input.