T-case Grinding

THEJESUS
Bronco Info: 1992 BRONCO XLT

T-case Grinding

Post by THEJESUS »

Alright so I went to go help my buddy get unstuck from mud on Friday. I got to the spot locked the hubs then put it into 4 high it went in smooth or at least I thought it did. I went down into the mud and I put the truck in reverse to line up to the truck and the bronco didn't budge. I would give it gas and nothing would happy I then put it in drive and it would go a couple feet then make a grinding noise. Is my T case going out? it has 100k plus miles on the t case im sure and im not sure last time fluids were changed. I plan on changing the fluid this week to see if I find any metal shavings. Any ideas of what this can be? Has anyone else had this issue? Also, to add to that I can never get my truck into 4L Its a manual Tcase so when I push down the lever it gets stuck and will not pop back into place. I always have to go under the truck and play with the shift arm. I have the hardest time putting it back into 2H or even 4H.

Thanks in advance for any info. I will check back as much as I can to answer any questions if more info is needed.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

T-case Grinding

Post by Tchajagos »

I don't have a manual xfer but don't you have to put the trans in neutral before dropping it to 4low or is that just the electric xfer case? Sounds like the shift linkage isn't lined up right or maybe corroded.
THEJESUS

Re: T-case Grinding

Post by THEJESUS »

Yes you are correct you have to put in neutral before which I do but just wont ever engage in 4L. Im going to start with replacing the shift lever. This actually might fix my problem.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 222 times
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Also check that the bushings on your shift rod to the t case are in good shape and aren't beat out causing shifting issues
THEJESUS

Post by THEJESUS »

I will check that out as well! I plan to get under the truck this afternoon so I hope to find the issue.