Winters Shifter Install

JakeEwing
Bronco Info: Family Of Fords. 3 F150s and a F350.

Winters Shifter Install

Post by JakeEwing »

Was looking to install a winters shifter in the future in my f150 with an E4OD and was wondering exactly how to do it. And are there any major risks to doing so? Thanks.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: Winters Shifter Install

Post by VintageIronFab »

O please anyone let's hear it! I've actually got an E4OD Winters on the shelf to install at some point and would love as much info as possible! New best deal FYI is $199 shipped from Summit Racing for the shifter unit.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Winters Shifter Install

Post by cs_drums »

No to bad but compared to other trans set ups a bit more work.

The main issue is that the New input shaft for the shift lever on the transmission is not keyed correctly to work with the MLPS sensor. You have to either make new spacers or clearance this aluminum spacers to come on out and I'll be a sensor to get it lined up right.

If you don't have a punisher valve body already installed I'd recommend doing it at same time because you're gonna have to drop the trans pan anyways. Changing out the gear selector shaft is nuts and bolts easy.

If you look up my thread 94 raptor killer, I believe I took several pictures of what I do to get the MLPS correctly clocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

subbed for hopefully future reference.
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
JakeEwing
Bronco Info: Family Of Fords. 3 F150s and a F350.

Post by JakeEwing »

cs_drums wrote:No to bad but compared to other trans set ups a bit more work.

The main issue is that the New input shaft for the shift lever on the transmission is not keyed correctly to work with the MLPS sensor. You have to either make new spacers or clearance this aluminum spacers to come on out and I'll be a sensor to get it lined up right.

If you don't have a punisher valve body already installed I'd recommend doing it at same time because you're gonna have to drop the trans pan anyways. Changing out the gear selector shaft is nuts and bolts easy.

If you look up my thread 94 raptor killer, I believe I took several pictures of what I do to get the MLPS correctly clocked.

Looked up that valve body and I am considering doing that too now. Quickly scanned through the thread and didn't see picture of how you dealt with the MLPS. Could you go more in depth with exactly what you had to do with the trans? Thanks!
cs_drums

Winters Shifter Install

Post by cs_drums »

The MLPS sensor has slotted holes that not only bolt it to the trans mission but allow you to rotate it in order to properly line up the sensor to the shaft i the neutral position. The shaft is keyed to locate the MLPS, unfortunately the art carr/winters shifter aren't keyed correctly and the slotted holes don't allow enough rotation to properly adjust the sensor. You need to open up the slots to allow enough rotation to properly adjust the sensor.

Here is the thread from when I fixed my issue...

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4712

cs_drums

Winters Shifter Install

Post by cs_drums »

Just to further clarify.....

The areas in red marked by the red areas are where I had to remove material to allow more rotation of the sensor. The green is showing where the two lines are lined up in the neutral position. The inner ring is keyed to the shaft and rotates with the gear shifter, the rest of the sensor is bolted stationary to the trans. Hope that helps....

VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

It's just amazing to me that Winters can't make the parts properly. I just bought a little Dremel so I'll but it out I guess :-). Thank you for the info on this as it really does speed up the process when you know the bs in advance!

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

So I’m getting closer and closer on my F150 being a driver and it just pains the hell out of me thinking I won’t have a floor shifter. I already have the shifter bought and I’ll just need to make a fully fabbed and covered console to match the interior. SO onto my question- the OD button - I can just take the button out of a factory column but I was wondering if something else would work well?? I’ve see the knobs for Art Carr/Winters that have a button for I’d guess a trans brake— any reason that wouldn’t work?

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)