replacing fuel injectors

Redgrom
Bronco Info: 96 bronco 351 and way to many future plans

replacing fuel injectors

Post by Redgrom »

Hello, chasing a check engine light from a cylinder mis fire (found the vacuum leak but still have the misfire code). New plugs and wires and old plugs looked good for the milage so hoping its not something worse but have been contemplating rebuilding the motor at some point. The shop I had look at it thought it might be a bad injector and recommended replacing all of them. Any reason to replace them all if I'm not stepping up to higher pressure injectors and all that would go along with them? Also should I stick with motorcraft or try a 3rd party? Shop did reset the check engine light and said to come back if it returns before doing any work but thought i'd ask here first since it doesn't seam like a terribly bad job and its not a daily driver but will be due for smog in about 4-5 months.
Thanks!
Redgrom

Re: replacing fuel injectors

Post by Redgrom »

code is P0300, random misfire detected
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Assuming there were actual diagnostics involved, if a shop told me they "thought" it might be an injector, I'd likely find another shop. Granted, P0300 is the last code a mechanic wants to diagnose, but replacing parts on hunches can be a never-ending ordeal with poor results.

To answer the injector question, you can buy a set of Ford injectors relatively cheap.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Redgrom

Post by Redgrom »

Thanks for the reply, I was told its a tough one. He wanted me to keep running the truck and see if I noticed anything else before throwing $ at it. It does have a slight intermintent lag and mild power loss when first starting out before the engine warms up. This only lasts a few seconds at most and is tough to predict and of course never does it when the mechanic is in her.
Redgrom

Post by Redgrom »

Also can you give me a link to a relatively cheep set of ford injectors? The ones i've seen are about $130 each! thought that was kinda high. Fordparts.com wants $234 each unless I can't read and that's for all 8.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

You did not mention if a compression test had had been done. Do that if it hasn't been done yet. An occasional misfire will sometimes occur as a valve is just starting to leak.
Redgrom

Post by Redgrom »

Haven't done the compression test yet, I'm guessing that's on the short list when the code returns
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

eBay man-- a 19# Orange ford are basically all the same
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Just search on eBay- #19 ford fuel injector - whole sets of injectors on there-- all the same
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Redgrom

Post by Redgrom »

Thanks!!!!
Redgrom

Post by Redgrom »

Did the compression test and all cylinders were within 5 lbs, guess its time to order some injectors