Smog law change.

fomoco51
Bronco Info: 1992 bronco project

Smog law change.

Post by fomoco51 »

So they are trying to push the smog law up to 1981 now. I am now thinking of finding a 80 to 81 bronco and swapping everything over so she would be smog exempt. Then I could actually build a decent power plant for it. Also was kicking around the idea of swapping a 78/78 bronco body onto my chassis, just not sure of how it would all go together. But I did find a 81 bronco for 500 bucks that I may go buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

That would be so cool if the do. I would love a 74 to 79 f250 Supercab. Right now, only the 74 and 75 are smog exempt, then I could find one in better shape with a 460ci already in it.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Smog law change.

Post by SteveG »

Who's "they"?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

Dang.. Only 8 years off haha
Potato.
fomoco51
Bronco Info: 1992 bronco project

Smog law change.

Post by fomoco51 »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
93Broncobuff
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's

Post by 93Broncobuff »

Sick
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'll buy in when it actually passes. Stuff like this has come up many years in the past & the demoncraps running this state always find a way to shut it down. Remember when '75 was supposed to be the starting year for the "rolling" exemption??? Had that passed we would have been somewhere around 1982 or later for exemption currently I think
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Smog law change.

Post by Tchajagos »

I think smog laws are a good thing so our air doesn't end up looking like China. I think that California has gone a bit too far with it though. When you have to have carb approved intakes and exhausts and the correct cat it takes on a way different direction where it's all about the money. My Suzuki sidekick failed smog because it had the wrong catalytic converter. It passed the sniffer without an issue but the cat it has is for a passenger vehicle, which is what it is registered as in the dmv. I guess the smog records indicate it is a light truck so requires a different cat. How freaking stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Ya, like the 20 year old vehicle exemption. My 86 a would have a 502ci in it then :-)

David...
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

If I was a CA resident there's no way I wouldn't have a "residence" somewhere else in the state that has no smog. It's terrible in the Phoenix area and it's all about getting very creative in where the vehicle is registered :-)
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Tchajagos

Smog law change.

Post by Tchajagos »

Nowhere in California is exempt if I recall. Only a handful of zip codes are exempt from biennial smog but require change of ownership. Usually if you spend more than $450 on smog repairs they will give you the registration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Tchajagos wrote:I think smog laws are a good thing so our air doesn't end up looking like China. I think that California has gone a bit too far with it though. When you have to have carb approved intakes and exhausts and the correct cat it takes on a way different direction where it's all about the money. My Suzuki sidekick failed smog because it had the wrong catalytic converter. It passed the sniffer without an issue but the cat it has is for a passenger vehicle, which is what it is registered as in the dmv. I guess the smog records indicate it is a light truck so requires a different cat. How freaking stupid.
We've discussed this a bit before here. I agree... I'm all for clean air, but not for bureaucratic red tape BS. Make the test a sniffer only test for whatever that specific model is supposed to adhere to and call it good. To me it doesn't matter if I have a chevy, ford, porsche, or whatever motor in my ranger if what is coming out the tailpipe meets or exceeds what was supposed to be coming out of that same, stock ranger. Common sense ideas like this will not fly far in our crackpot state though.
Wrightracing.net

I am with you Steve. You should not fail because your air cleaner is not BAR approved. The funny thing is a well built modern high horse power engine burns every bit of fuel posible and in the end can run as clean as stock, it just takes a good tuner to do it right.

David...
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Preach it Steve
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

[quote="Tchajagos"]Nowhere in California is exempt if I recall. Only a handful of zip codes are exempt from biennial smog but require change of ownership. Usually if you spend more than $450 on smog repairs they will give you the registration.
========
Are you sure about that? Have you talked to others that have rigs registered in no smog zones? I know it is being done by several.
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

I'm registered in a smog exempt zip, however, I would still need a smog cert when I sell the truck. I think there is some work arounds for immediate family transfers and if it's staying in the same zip, but don't quote me on that.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Tchajagos

Smog law change.

Post by Tchajagos »

Anyone have experience with smogging a full time 4wd? I read that they don't put it on the rollers for awd/fulltime 4x4. What if it's converted to fulltime?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Never dealt with it personally, but makes sense as they can't really put a full time 4wd on the standard rollers. I'm sure there could be some shop out there somewhere that has a front & rear roller system, but I've never seen one & it would have to be adjustable length/spread of rollers wise so as to work with different wheel bases. My guess is they jack up the front of the vehicle & put it on stands on the front. That could get a little nerve racking with the bit of lunge on the rollers at acceleration etc. though! Never thought about how they handle this before now, but brings up a very good question. May be worth a call to a smog shop or 2 & saying that you own a full time, all wheel drive vehicle - how do they handle this. With all the Subi's, etc. out there now will full time AWD they must have some way to do it. I know for sure the local shop I used to deal with (that has the standard roller) did my brother's full time AWD Subi WRX and I can say it would blow my mind if it didn't go on the roller.
drewbee88
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.

Post by drewbee88 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Never dealt with it personally, but makes sense as they can't really put a full time 4wd on the standard rollers. I'm sure there could be some shop out there somewhere that has a front & rear roller system, but I've never seen one & it would have to be adjustable length/spread of rollers wise so as to work with different wheel bases. My guess is they jack up the front of the vehicle & put it on stands on the front. That could get a little nerve racking with the bit of lunge on the rollers at acceleration etc. though! Never thought about how they handle this before now, but brings up a very good question. May be worth a call to a smog shop or 2 & saying that you own a full time, all wheel drive vehicle - how do they handle this. With all the Subi's, etc. out there now will full time AWD they must have some way to do it. I know for sure the local shop I used to deal with (that has the standard roller) did my brother's full time AWD Subi WRX and I can say it would blow my mind if it didn't go on the roller.
They basically do a 1500 rpm and 3k rpm for a certain peeios of time. My wagoneer was not full time and, but the shifter was hidden under the seat and I always told the smog guy it was awd, and some years of the wagoneer were quadratrac awd. Its similar to what they do in mountain counties that don't have bi annual smogs. As they do not have dynos usually.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

So they just rev it in neutral at those RPMs for a certain amount of time? Interesting.