Radiator gunk

Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Radiator gunk

Post by Tchajagos »

What is going on here? It's like mud. Not oily at all and washes right off.

It was fine a few months ago when I bought it. Maybe it all came from the heater core when I used it? I haven't put anything in it. It had a newer radiator when I bought it I'm thinking either the previous owner used a ton of stop leak or some kind of chemical reaction. Anyone seen this before? 97 ranger 3.0l auto.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Re: Radiator gunk

Post by funinthesun95 »

Low coolant or a leak bringing air into the system can do that.

Mixing the different kinds of coolant can also cause a reaction. like mixing old school green with the new stuff cars use... red orange yellow

most likely leak or air
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
Garlic Bronco
Bronco Info: currently just a group truck 89 bronco 351 c6 gutted for playing in the sand

Post by Garlic Bronco »

looks to me like some one put bars leak in it at some point
If you can't be fast, Look fast!
www.UC4X4.com
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I would just start anew with everything vs. trying to clean parts-- ebay has some great deals on radiators, waterpumps, thermostats and heater cores with free shipping and no tax.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I say flush the whole system with a detergent made for cooling systems. If that gunk is from some type of stop leak, then you may have a leak somewhere, then deal with it properly and fix it. I know it is easier just to be a parts changer, but diagnostic skills are a great thing to developed.

In 30+ years of working on cars, trucks, motorcycles and anything with a motor I have never seen gunk like that in a cooling system. I don't think they read the instructions on the stop leak product. You don't fill the whole radiator with a case of the product. :-)