Steering wheels!

DirtyMexican

replace stock steering wheel?

Post by DirtyMexican »

how hard would it be to replace my stock steering wheel with something like a momo, grant, etc on a 1990 bronco?
gunit

Re: replace stock steering wheel?

Post by gunit »

DirtyMexican wrote:how hard would it be to replace my stock steering wheel with something like a momo, grant, etc on a 1990 bronco?
Not hard at all if you are not using cruise control.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

gunit wrote:
DirtyMexican wrote:how hard would it be to replace my stock steering wheel with something like a momo, grant, etc on a 1990 bronco?
Not hard at all if you are not using cruise control.
If you dig around, you can find options for cruise control. I know that Grant had a set up, or you can do like Steve did. He had a bracket made for his.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Changing the steering wheel is a piece of cake.

This is what the cool kids use to keep cruise control.
Attachments
cruisebracket6.jpg
cruisebracket6.jpg (88.75 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

How about on air bag equiped trucks?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

You're kind of screwed. I don't know that it would be worth replacing. I tend to like later model steering wheels as they are anyway. The only reason I replaced mine was because it was so skinny. Yours probably has a nice grip on it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
DirtyMexican

Post by DirtyMexican »

my steering column broke on me after an incident and when i replaced the column it came with a really skinny wheel. i hate it. my old one was perfect but bent up now. that looks like a pretty bitchen set up Steve.
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

Tis' easy!
Grant hub using adapter for sparco wheel.
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Cruise Control with a custom steering wheel.

Post by Deleted Account »

Ok i know somone around here knows the place that make the button adapter to put the cruise buttons on a billit bracket.. I think steve posted it. but ill be damned if i can find it...
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: Cruise Control with a custom steering wheel.

Post by tcm glx »

mkiefer wrote:Ok i know somone around here knows the place that make the button adapter to put the cruise buttons on a billit bracket.. I think steve posted it. but ill be damned if i can find it...

It was a grant piece, no longer in production I think, but I have seen them on ebay from time to time Keifer.
DirtFiend602
Bronco Info: 86' go faster

Post by DirtFiend602 »

There are quite a few still floating around... maybe ill buy a whole lot of them, I bet they'll be a coveted item soon...
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The Grant stuff was ugly and I refused to pay the price for aftermarket crap. I used a replica bracket for a Saleen Mustang on mine. It uses factory switches (better than aftermarket). I'll see if I can find contact info for the guy that was making them.

Not my steering wheel....
Attachments
cruise-control-switch-bracket.jpg
cruise-control-switch-bracket.jpg (75.54 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
cruisebracket6.jpg
cruisebracket6.jpg (88.75 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:The Grant stuff was ugly and I refused to pay the price for aftermarket crap. I used a replica bracket for a Saleen Mustang on mine. It uses factory switches (better than aftermarket). I'll see if I can find contact info for the guy that was making them.

Not my steering wheel....
Wow, that looks pretty darn good! Almost wish I had cruise control! :cry:
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

It does look good. Nothing a guy with a plasma cutter & sander couldn't whip up if he had to!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:It does look good. Nothing a guy with a plasma cutter & sander couldn't whip up if he had to!
The part where the switches fit are pockets and would require milling. The guy I got mine from is a machinist... the part has been long discontinued so he borrowed one and duplicated it. I don't know if he ever did more runs or not, but it was a really nice part.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Well if you have a mill that can work too. If you aren't using yours & you're cool with it - I could borrow it, convert it to a cad file & people can use that to have new ones laser cut or water jetted. Both of these methods are better than the plasma I mentioned before - I was just saying if one wanted to - he could with that stuff.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

They are just momentary switches... and the clock spring is already there... just sayin.

It's super easy to put them on the dash too... if your one of those cool guys with a removable wheel.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:They are just momentary switches... and the clock spring is already there... just sayin.

It's super easy to put them on the dash too... if your one of those cool guys with a removable wheel.
If I'm not mistaken, they have different resistances. They all use the same wire through the steering column, so they have to send a different signal to make the cruise control respond appropriately.

I was originally going to put them in the dash until I remembered about the Saleen Mustangs using the aftermarket bracket.

And yes, Tom, cruise control ROCKS!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:
philofab wrote:They are just momentary switches... and the clock spring is already there... just sayin.

If I'm not mistaken, they have different resistances. They all use the same wire through the steering column, so they have to send a different signal to make the cruise control respond appropriately.

I was originally going to put them in the dash until I remembered about the Saleen Mustangs using the aftermarket bracket.

And yes, Tom, cruise control ROCKS!

The older ones didn't....no biggie... just need $4 worth of resistors from Radio Shack.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
DirtFiend602
Bronco Info: 86' go faster

Post by DirtFiend602 »

This. I'd buy one!
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Well if you have a mill that can work too. If you aren't using yours & you're cool with it - I could borrow it, convert it to a cad file & people can use that to have new ones laser cut or water jetted. Both of these methods are better than the plasma I mentioned before - I was just saying if one wanted to - he could with that stuff.