What kind of oil should i run in a stroker motor?

Hauls Assington
Bronco Info: Under Construction

What kind of oil should i run in a stroker motor?

Post by Hauls Assington »

The guy I got if from was running valvine synthetic 50 weight racing oil.

I put mobil1 15w 50, and ran the motor for a little while, i am going to change it again tonight because there was a tiny bit of moisture in the motor when i change the oil the first time.

Walmart has mobil1 15w 50 for like 26$ for 5 quarts.

Also, what is the best oil filter?
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

That seem super heavy... i run Royal Purple 10w40 in summer months here in AZ. Wix brand filters seem to be the oil filter of choice but u buy whatever one has the grippy stuff on the outside.
big-d
Bronco Info: 1987 F150, 351W/418 Stroker, E4OD, F250 1356 W/fixed yokes, Sterling 10.25, D50 TTB 4" over

Re: What kind of oil should i run in a stroker motor?

Post by big-d »

We ran synthetic 50 weight in the class 8. The engine builder and tuner both suggested running it. We had oiling issues whenever we switched to anything lighter. It was a 408 stroker, gone through every other race...

I wouldn't go that heavy unless my engine is a race only type though. (Runs in full race mode only, or for long periods of time)
Hauls Assington

What type of issues did you have with the lighter oil?

I
big-d
Bronco Info: 1987 F150, 351W/418 Stroker, E4OD, F250 1356 W/fixed yokes, Sterling 10.25, D50 TTB 4" over

Post by big-d »

It has been about 6 years, IIRC the engine builder said that there were obvious signs in the motor of the oil loosing too much viscosity during the race (408w built from a stock block). Again this is a race only motor being run to its limits when running. This was also being run in middle of summer in Nevada. We were running a heat exchanger behind the skid plate, under the radiator. A different setup might have kept lighter oil cooler? We never had any issues running the 50 weight, so that is what we stuck with.

I have always used 10w40 in the winter and 20w50 in the summer in my personal trucks. Probably not what should be run, just what I have always done.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

We have run 20w50 in the two Class 8 engines, one was a F150 408 ford stock block with GT40 heads and a Chevy 1/2 ton 383. Once I get the 408 in my Bronco I will probably run the same along with the GT40 heads. I am building it so I can race it in the future in Code just for fun, maybe one race a year if that.

I have enough race experience to know that I can't afford to be competitive for a whole season unless I get a major sponsor, which is unlikely.
Hauls Assington

Right on, thanks for the info! I have always done the 10 40, 20 50 regimen myself. I think i might do the 50w summer, 15-50 winter on this motor. I have a 408w also but .060 over so really its a 414. It has a block from a crown vic police interceptor that is supposed to tolerate big bore a little better than a standard block. In reality it will see more mild conditions than anything, but we see 110 in the summer here, and i want this thing to live long and prosper!
Hauls Assington

Also, what brand of oil were you guys dacing with?
Hauls Assington

Racing*
big-d

Post by big-d »

Royal purple synthetic.

I have a 418 that is not running yet in my F150. I will most likely run 20w50 year round in that too. 4.1" stroke .030 over. I am in the process of moving to Utah now, so that motor will see much colder weather then AZ.
Hauls Assington

Nice!, I like the idea of the 418. What cam and heads are you running on it? Injection? What carb if not injection?
Hauls Assington

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/06/hello-world/

This is an interesting article!

"Motor oils contain zinc and phosphorus as high-pressure anti-wear additives. But in recent years, the amount of ZDDP (zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate) that is allowed in street oils has been reduced to prolong the life of the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors (both of these metals are contaminants that can reduce the life of the catalyst and sensors). Motor oils contained 1,500 parts per million (ppm) of ZDDP back in the 1980s.

In the 1990s, that was reduced to 1,200 ppm, and in 2005 it was cut again to 600 to 800 ppm. The rationale was that modern engines with roller cams or OHC cam followers don’t require as much ZDDP anti-wear additive as older engines with flat-tappet cams. The reduced levels of ZDDP were also deemed adequate for most passenger car flat-tappet cam engines. But as many racers learned the hard way, today’s street oils with reduced ZDDP are wiping out cams in performance engines with flat-tappet cams, radical roller cams and engines that are using lots of valve spring pressure."

I'm running flat tappet solid cam. So it looks like I need some ZDDP!
big-d

Post by big-d »

I have a couple gallons of Rotella oil for Diesel engines in my garage waiting for my next oil change in my daily driver. (94 F150) I have not done my own research, but was told that the diesel oil still has high levels of ZDDP in it.

My engine was used when I got it. The short block is all forged and balanced. Built by speed-o-motive. The heads are just worked over E7's, stock intake/Tb for now, Long tube headers, MAF conversion with 90mm Lightning MAF sensor, 4 hole 24lb injectors from a 97 460. Comp Cams speed density cam (I can look up the part # if needed). I still need the computer and a few other details done before I fire it up.

The previous owner had 19 lb injectors and stock exhaust manifolds on it. He couldn't get it to run right off of speed density and had a mass air conversion done. ( he did not know that the short block he ordered was a stroker...??) it put 344lbs of torque and 257 hp to the ground through a c6, np205, 9" with 3.73 gears and 35's on a chassis Dyno.
Hauls Assington

Yeah looks like I will be rolling with rotella, after reading this, as theracing oils with ZDDP are 15$ a quart!!!

That torque number is huge on your motor!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

If you are in the market for a sbf stroker and can afford it, The new Boss 427 Crate engine is a great option. I was talking to Glen from Complete Fabrication and the block is built to be pushed out to a 460ci and still remain strong and reliable. It is a super strong light weight big cubic inch motor. They are running it in Chris Wilson's class 3-8 Early Bronco. They are still running it as a 427ci at this time, as far as I know.
Hauls Assington

Ok i found this list of flat tappet friendly oils. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3- ... ils-5.html

Looks like the mobil 15w-50 is on the list, its cheap and i think im going to run it.
Mesozoic
Bronco Info: '79 Bronco: 408C-ZF5-NP205 SEFI-EDIS8; 4" lift, Dana 44/Ford 9" w/4.10s, locked

Post by Mesozoic »

I run Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic diesel engine oil in my street 408, but it's a Ford 400 (Cleveland) and the oil galleys are massive, so that is generally the thinnest oil you would want to run in one of those engines. I run that oil in the summer in Arizona as well as in the winter, even on trips to Colorado and Canada. It's also flat tappet and I've not had to add any ZDDP additive to keep it running well.

For a SBF with much improved oiling I would not hesitate to run 10W30 for street use and probably step up to 20W50 for competition use... or utilize an extremely effective oil cooler to keep the oil below 200*F. As far as brands go, I would choose Valvoline Synpower over Mobil 1 these days, but Redline has the best formulation IMHO.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I have run thick oils in my engines for years with great success. Normally 20-50w or something close. It hurts fuel mileage a little but I don't care about that. Zinc is good to have in oil, although it more important if you don't have a roller cam.