Sag pump conversions

yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Re: Sag pump conversions

Post by yikes »

This is a great pump so far...TC on a factory bracket, cut for a drop out adapter.

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

Yikes, is that what you are running? I was hoping you would chime in. I saw the adapter for that and the cut out. Thanks for the input. Is that a Lee unit?
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

Also what pulley did you use? Stock belt?
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

It's a Howe prep'd pump. Uses a stock belt, Howe pulley.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Brian, Very nice install. Super clean. Tell us about its res.
BTW, Lee's company is gone. He retired due to medical issue. Who is the new source for the pump?
==========
yikes wrote:This is a great pump so far...TC on a factory bracket, cut for a drop out adapter.

cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

You did a lot nicer job trimming than many I have seen haha.

I want to here what PSC has to say about the N-style pump before I night the bullet on the TC style. From the looks of it it would mitigate having to cut so much away and is about the same price.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

PaulW wrote:
funinthesun95 wrote:Paul I think is talking about this see below..... the Can I have on my bronco
=
Kinda hard to follow this discussion. I think he thinks he has a bracket issue and I suggested he look at the can adapter. Bottom line is he will have to do what the rest of us do and that is start buying stuff and see what fits.
I have that PSC can on my EB replacing the stock Sag can.
Now the discussion is about the horseshoe bracket adapter.
That horseshoe adapter is a PSC version of a long forgotten one that was made of cast iron. I have the original cast iron one in my pile of stuff. I never figured out how to make it work with the Ford cast aluminum bracket.

Anyway there are many kinds of brackets and many bracket adapters and so far only one CAN adapter to make the stock Sag pump work with a remote res.
The later pic shows a typical racer setup I described earlier. It is used with a remote res. and normally with a custom bracket and not a Ford bracket. No can is required. This kind of pump is common for a dual pump setup - one for steering and one for hydroboost. Small and easy to package. Normally very custom fab.

Got ya
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

I know this has digressed from the simple e150 sag discussion but hind sight it seems like the TC pump may be a better solution for someone planning on running a ram assist. Hind sight I could have bypassed doing the e150 pump and just modified my stock bracket for the TC to start
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

PaulW wrote:Brian, Very nice install. Super clean. Tell us about its res.
BTW, Lee's company is gone. He retired due to medical issue. Who is the new source for the pump?
After Lee closed up, I went to How, because I actually had some concerns about my Lee prep'd Sag pump. Howe converted me to the TC, due to it's durability. What I didn't know previously was the Sag pump uses bushing shaft supports, whereas the TC utilizes roller bearings. That was a big selling point for me. Jeff said they hold up much better in desert go-fast environments. I've replaced the pump 3 times in the last 5 years, so it wasn't difficult to make the jump.

Something to consider: Fin type coolers will cause problems when running a ram, as they may not flow enough to keep up with the volume of fluid necessary. Howe advised that I remove the cooler and add a cylindrical cooler in the future if needed.

The reservoir is Howe's standard unit. It's not their biggest or best, but more than enough. I like having the spin-on filter integrated in to the res.

birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Sag pump conversions

Post by birdco85 »

What's the TC pump from?
birdco85

Sag pump conversions

Post by birdco85 »

Never mind, google is my friend. That seems like I good pump to put on a powerstroke with the c2 pump. Especially if it takes minimum bracket trimming.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

birdco85 wrote:What's the TC pump from?

stock form T/C is Cadillac

but prob lots of GM use it I am sure.
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

Birdco I'm thinking the same thing my SuperDuty's pump is screaming
birdco85

Sag pump conversions

Post by birdco85 »

Mine is too. Been dreading putting another c2 in it
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

Is yours the original? I did a flush and it was good for a few weeks it hainus now!
birdco85

Sag pump conversions

Post by birdco85 »

I'm thinking it is.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

In my experience the standard Sag conversion still makes sense. Cheap and quick and takes care of most all situations short of racing or the serious prerunning that Brian does. My 96 has had a Cardone ham can Sag for 12 years and still work fine even with the ram addition. BTW. I use a Magnafine filter and a simple low pressure drop 4 pass tube style cooler.
Your experience may be different??
I am not thrilled with my install because I run it without a res - thus it leaks out the filler cap and makes a mess. I you are contemplating a Sag conversion for a tow rig then the res is overkill, IMO
birdco85

Sag pump conversions

Post by birdco85 »

The standard sag would work fine for the powerstroke but the problem is how much of the bracket needs to be removed to fit the reservoir. That's why in thinking the TC one and a remote reservoir.

I have the standard sag with econoline bracket for my bronco sitting in a box ready to go. Just haven't got the time yet.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

I've got a fresh ram prep'd Tommy Lee Sag pump, new stock pulley and custom pressure line for sale if anyone is interested. Pump has not been installed since TL upgraded it. Sat for a year plus, so I sent it to Howe for inspection. They said it's good to go.
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

P-pump or TC? Text me the price 760-419-094three