Sag pump conversions

Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Re: Sag pump conversions

Post by Seabass »

Curious as to why the van bracket won't work for you?

If your starting from scratch look into the adapter plate to run a tc sag pump. They're significantly more effecient.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

I've read the TC are less reliable. But the are much smaller and don't have a resivour, correct?
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

I've never heard that about reliability before. Where'd you hear that?

They are smaller and some come with a reservoir but the stock style most likely wouldn't fit on a bronco. The stock style would be too small by itself in my opinion anyways.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the canned ham sag pumps just letting you know before you open your wallet. I found the bracket right after I finished my van conversion.

If your feeling saucey you can mod your own pump. I've been in a bunch and am surprised at what remans/hi-po units go for.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Gees I should not say things from memory
I dug out the discard pumps from my junk pile and here are the results
Stock E150 - Can Ham Sag 3/4" dia shaft
Stock 96 C2 - 11/16" dia shaft
Un-documented unit off the Mustang motor in the EB - Can Ham Sag 11/16" dia shaft
BTW, I read where all GM Pumps use 3/4" shaft and the after market pumps made for Fords use the small shaft impeller. I have no idea what PSP sells or if they have shaft options.
Shafts protrude all the same. However you must press the pulley to the correct depth to match the other pulleys. Plenty of room for that adjustment - like at least 1/4". If needed shim accordingly. Harbor Freight pulley tool works great with the addition of a couple of washers.
I just installed a new style custom Sag pump on the BCB universal bracket and I had to shim the bracket to motor to get my Serp pulley to align. (on the Mustang motor). The BCB fancy bracket is for a low mounted pump which EBs prefer.
Consider removing the pump can and use a remote res. That mod makes various brackets work easier - like my BCB bracket. PSP sells the remote cans.
I wish I had gone to the small pulley for more poop at low speeds. Smaller pulleys are called "rockcrawler pulleys". Howe sells a nice one, but I forget what its diameter is.
How to find out how all this stuff works is to buy the various items and give them a try and use what works best.
Then spend all kinds of time installing and removing -- Ha

You said you need a special bracket for your application. Look at what the racers use. It is a pump with two threaded holes and no can. It very small and of course it uses custom hoses and a remote res tank. Visualize a housing just big enough for the impeller and some internal pockets. They fit in tiny spaces and require custom brackets.
Paul
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

CS-- why can't you use the E150 bracket. So if you're not CS-- this is just my opinion - to use that oddball pump and not get the E150 bracket is just dumb. That bracket is just so incredibly easy to do and if you convert to -6an lines it's even easier! Total DIY driveway install!
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

Well if like to think I'm not Dumb. As I said in my original post I already have done the sag pump conversion. That is my trucks current set up.

I am unable to use the e150 bracket as the supercharger I am installing replaces that bracket and is set up for the C2 pump.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

In that case a remote sag should fit in place of thec2
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

Should with the adapter from PSC. I call them to verify the allignment of the pulley. Not sure the resivour will fit. Within the cast webbing of the bracket. Not looking forward to cutting a not easily replaceable bracket though
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

CS - sorry about that I guess I read what I thought was something else and did what's annoying -- sorry again
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

No worries, it's a weird senario, stoked of the e150 sag but now I'm having to reinvent the wheel
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

cs_drums wrote:Should with the adapter from PSC. I call them to verify the alignment of the pulley. Not sure the resivour will fit. Within the cast webbing of the bracket. Not looking forward to cutting a not easily replaceable bracket though
g out.
==
The PSC remote adapter is nothing more than a can to replace the stock can. It has a -10 male AN sticking out. Easy to cut it off and weld it where you want it for better clearance. What I did was replace the AN with a hose barb and routed it to the res which is located where I wanted it. Gravity feed res to pump can and distance should be minimized.
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

The adapter I'm referring to is the mount adapter Image
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Sorry wrong adapter
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Paul I think is talking about this see below..... the Can I have on my bronco
Attachments
saginaw bronco pump.jpeg
saginaw bronco pump.jpeg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 830 times
howe set up 5.jpg
howe set up 5.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 830 times
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

Ok can anyone tell me what pump this is? He is a member but I haven't seen him on here in a while Image
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

I'm thinking it a N-pump style Saginaw. Hopefully Ryan will chime in
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

funinthesun95 wrote:Paul I think is talking about this see below..... the Can I have on my bronco
=
Kinda hard to follow this discussion. I think he thinks he has a bracket issue and I suggested he look at the can adapter. Bottom line is he will have to do what the rest of us do and that is start buying stuff and see what fits.
I have that PSC can on my EB replacing the stock Sag can.
Now the discussion is about the horseshoe bracket adapter.
That horseshoe adapter is a PSC version of a long forgotten one that was made of cast iron. I have the original cast iron one in my pile of stuff. I never figured out how to make it work with the Ford cast aluminum bracket.

Anyway there are many kinds of brackets and many bracket adapters and so far only one CAN adapter to make the stock Sag pump work with a remote res.
The later pic shows a typical racer setup I described earlier. It is used with a remote res. and normally with a custom bracket and not a Ford bracket. No can is required. This kind of pump is common for a dual pump setup - one for steering and one for hydroboost. Small and easy to package. Normally very custom fab.
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

The pic above is what looks like a sag pump that has fitting pick up and is bolted into a e150 bracket.

This pump would be ideal as I can use the psc horseshoe adapter to bolt it into the supersharger bracket and not have to cut the bracket.
Now if only someone could tell me what it is.....
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

Found it, it is the top of the line lee pump. Out of my price range. Back to the drawing board.
cs_drums

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

This is the N-style sag pump, waiting to here back from PSC on what the pro/cons when compared with the p-style (e150) it looks like it will be ideal as it will require very little if any trimming to the bracket. Image

If anyone has any info/experience with this style pump please chime in.