Sag pump conversions

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: Sag pump conversions

Post by VintageIronFab »

What I wanna know is why that kit doesn't have milled flats in the tubes?? Sorry that seems crazy to me!

Regarding the pump--if one pump seems funky I'd just immediately swap it out-- this is not a fluid quality issue at all.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Sag pump conversions

Post by cs_drums »

The main reason I stick with regular Mercon V is it the same as tranny. From a combat medic background when space is limited, carry as much multi use items you can. So rather than carry a quart of PS fluid and a quart of trans fluid just carry 2 quarts of trans fluid
Border Bronco
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 351 Proto Fab rear bumper. Threat Motorsports C&T, Coil spring, Deaver Q-80 SAW

Post by Border Bronco »

There never was a fluid issue per say. In a conversation with Paul, I asked what fluid he was using since I have to take this thing apart again.

I like the idea of Mercon V, for the reasons listed.

I am going to swap out what I believe is a bad pump. Im on the fence about adding hydro boost and steering ram. In the interest of not doing the pump again, I am going to go with a Howe pump.

I too wish those tie rods had flats milled in them.

I'll update when I get the pump swapped out
Border Bronco
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 351 Proto Fab rear bumper. Threat Motorsports C&T, Coil spring, Deaver Q-80 SAW

Post by Border Bronco »

update: I mentioned I was going to go with Howe, but after researching I have decided to go with PSC, purely for economic reasons. Howe makes really great stuff, but for just shy of half the price I have decided to try PSC. I was geared up and ready to knock this project out today. I didn't realize it was going to rain today, so I didn't get anywhere close to completion. I don't have a covered area to work on the truck, so I was limited to the garage which is just big enough for my junk and no vehicle. So, with all that said I spent some time fabricating a bracket to mount the remote reservoir. I hope to have another update tomorrow with more pictures.
Attachments
IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0793.jpg (126.02 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
IMG_0791.jpg
IMG_0791.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg (131.52 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0788.jpg (139.96 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
IMG_0787.jpg
IMG_0787.jpg (151.43 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
IMG_0785.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg (135.3 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Bracket looks really good!
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

yikes wrote:The reservoir is Howe's standard unit. It's not their biggest or best, but more than enough. I like having the spin-on filter integrated in to the res.

I like that combo reservoir/filter unit too Brian. What specific Howe model number is it? I see they have two versions that use the large 4.0 filter and three versions that use the smaller 3.5 filter. We're going to Solo tomorrow and part of the to do list is fab of mounting for the remote engine oil filter and future space for a P/S res.

I may have to provide spec to Bobby for the one we want to use now, so he can prep it properly.
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

subbed because im working on piecing this together right now. my pump puked all weekend at hammers.
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
S00TLYFE

Post by S00TLYFE »

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but have yet to find a definitive answer on what hoses to run. Want to know what you guys did. I ordered the 89 E series hose since that's what the pump came out of, those did not work. I've been gone for work again but will hopefully have the thing running and driving by Monday so I'd like to get this locked down if possible this week so I can order a hose by this weekend. Have not tried the OG hoses that were already on the truck yet.
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
Border Bronco

Post by Border Bronco »

I ended up going to a hydraulic hose shop for tractors and had one custom made, it will handle up to 4000psi, not that it's needed but figured if it's that robust it should last a while for $43.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

the 95 E150 high pressure hose fits on my 96. Got mine at NAPA
I wonder how many times that info has been posted?
S00TLYFE

Post by S00TLYFE »

PaulW wrote:the 95 E150 high pressure hose fits on my 96. Got mine at NAPA
I wonder how many times that info has been posted?
Glad to get a definitive answer because I didn't see this on this thread or the one on FSB, could have missed it but I usually try to be thorough before I go reviving old threads.
S00TLYFE

Post by S00TLYFE »

Thanks btw Paul
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Atleast 785,000 times Paul....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

I still say that the -AN conversion is well worth the mild effort and added cost.

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Border Bronco

Post by Border Bronco »

I second that!
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

The reason being- literally any place that builds hoses can make -AN hoses. Even better is the ability to spec out the hose with whatever quality you are wanting vs. whatever the quality level the parts store company decided to save $0.225 per unit :-)

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

VintageIronFab wrote:The reason being- literally any place that builds hoses can make -AN hoses. Even better is the ability to spec out the hose with whatever quality you are wanting vs. whatever the quality level the parts store company decided to save $0.225 per unit :-)
Happen to have a parts list for -an conversion? I'd rather do that than deal with hose clamps etc. Also, i don't have piles of old parts sitting around to fiddle with, so i'd like to have a shopping list to just grab everything i need in one go.