Exhaust Systems

agavelouis
The Champ
Bronco Info: 1994 5.0 Bronco. Solo Motorsports all the way around

Exhaust Systems

Post by agavelouis »

What system are you running? Did everything come from a single company? I am looking for headers back and want to ensure fitment on my 94 with the 302

I see the Bassini (sp) stuff that a few of you are running with good results.

I could care less about power gains, as I am more interested in longevity and no drone after 250 miles of 75mph, prerunning, then 250 miles . Quieter is the name of the game for me.

Anything else to be looking at besides the Bassini kit?

Should I just get headers, then have a shop build a cheap Y-Pipe? I have a Magnaflow Hi-flow cat, and big oval muffler from them, so I can go with some sort of catless Y-Pipe and be good.

Ideas? I am AZ based, don't have to smog persay.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Exhaust Systems

Post by philofab »

I have a Magnaflow muffler on my Bronco, no cat, and Pacesetter/Summit shorty headers. It's nice and quiet going down the road, but sounds good if you really lean into it. I used the Stage 8 locking header bolts and have never had to do anything to it. No blown header gaskets and the collectors use ball flanges so it was easy to make the y-pipe.
agavelouis
The Champ

Post by agavelouis »

I was looking at those Philo. Thank you! I know you said you made your Y-Pipe, so I may just do it myself.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

agavelouis wrote:I was looking at those Philo. Thank you! I know you said you made your Y-Pipe, so I may just do it myself.
I can't remember if I made the primaries out of 2" or 2 1/4", the rest is 2.5". I used a bend pack exhaust bender to bend everything and a pre fabricated y to put the O2 sensor in. I bought everything but the headers from Allied Exhaust in Phoenix. SDHQ may have an account with them?
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

If you don't care about performance and want it quiet there's a company by the name of ford that makes one that fits perfect and is pretty quiet. Lots of people throw them out so in theory you could get what your looking for for free if you can wait. =)
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Seabass wrote:If you don't care about performance and want it quiet there's a company by the name of ford that makes one that fits perfect and is pretty quiet. Lots of people throw them out so in theory you could get what your looking for for free if you can wait. =)
He can't wait. His current y-pipe broke pretty bad at Parker.
agavelouis
The Champ

Post by agavelouis »

philofab wrote:
Seabass wrote:If you don't care about performance and want it quiet there's a company by the name of ford that makes one that fits perfect and is pretty quiet. Lots of people throw them out so in theory you could get what your looking for for free if you can wait. =)
He can't wait. His current y-pipe broke pretty bad at Parker.

Haha, broke pretty bad? The son-ova-gun is in 7 pieces!

Seeing as the "Ford" one lasted about 1000 miles in the dirt, I was looking for something maybe a little more stout. I think my manifolds are actually cracked anyway and where a lot of my exhaust leaks were coming from. Not to mention that they are caked with Utah mud from the previous owner.

I can get Pace Setter headers direct from our sources, and I can get exhaust fab stuff all day long. Problem is the Magnaflow Y-pipe with cat is cheaper than buying the pieces to make one, then I can probably sell the cat for a few bucks that comes with it.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

agavelouis wrote:I can get Pace Setter headers direct from our sources, and I can get exhaust fab stuff all day long. Problem is the Magnaflow Y-pipe with cat is cheaper than buying the pieces to make one, then I can probably sell the cat for a few bucks that comes with it.
The Pacesetter headers directly replace the manifolds. I built my y-pipe with the manifolds and then swapped the headers on later. If the Magnaflow Y-pipe fits the factory manifold it will work.

I also removed the EGR & Air injection system when I did the exhaust. The only pain was the connection on the intake manifold, as I had to pull the upper intake off to get the fitting off. I cut it flush to the nut and welded it up, then used it to plug the hole.

I also plugged the air injection lines on the back of the heads. Once the lines are off I think a short 5/8 bolt threads in?
agavelouis
The Champ

Post by agavelouis »

philofab wrote:
agavelouis wrote:I can get Pace Setter headers direct from our sources, and I can get exhaust fab stuff all day long. Problem is the Magnaflow Y-pipe with cat is cheaper than buying the pieces to make one, then I can probably sell the cat for a few bucks that comes with it.
The Pacesetter headers directly replace the manifolds. I built my y-pipe with the manifolds and then swapped the headers on later. If the Magnaflow Y-pipe fits the factory manifold it will work.

I also removed the EGR & Air injection system when I did the exhaust. The only pain was the connection on the intake manifold, as I had to pull the upper intake off to get the fitting off. I cut it flush to the nut and welded it up, then used it to plug the hole.

I also plugged the air injection lines on the back of the heads. Once the lines are off I think a short 5/8 bolt threads in?
Cool. Thank you again Philo.

After I get this tided up, she is up for sale unfortunately.
agavelouis
The Champ

Post by agavelouis »

Posted this in my Bronco build thread.....

Well, got the exhaust installed

Pacesetter 5.0L Bronco shorty headers (70-1312) and Magnaflow Bronco 5.0L Y-pipe (93307).

Exhaust manifolds came off without too much effort, as my stock y-pipe was broke at the collector and well they kinda just fell out. Ha

I don't know the specifics, or what I was missing from stock, but it seems like there may be many variances in the builds of the Bronco's pre-96. I removed the air pump not too long after I bought the Bronco, but never unhooked what I thought was any EGR stuff. Previous owner my have got to it before I did, as he had cut the cat out, replaced the O2 senser and had purchased but yet to install new spark plugs. My guess was he wasn't having any luck getting it smogged due to a bad cat and was trying anything that his friends could scheme up.

Anywho - Pacesetter headers

Went on pretty easy. Instructions pretty much worthless, and I tossed them right off the bat. Biggest thing to remember is to keep all of the bolts loose to allow a little bit of play until you have the last one in. Make sure you have O2 bung plugs, as the headers come with an O2 port on each side. I chose to put my headers on Saturday after work and searched all day Sunday for an autoparts store that carried these with no luck. I have them at work, but we are closed Sunday's so I just had to wait a day to play.

Magnaflow Y-pipe

Well, not much to this obviously. Comes with a slip on Cat that you don't have to install if you don't want to. Fit about 90% of how it should have. After some persuasion, it all worked out.

My stock stuff was 3", so the first thing I did back in July was put a Magnaflow 3" offset oval muffler on her, and a Magnaflow 3" Hi-flow Cat to help with the gassy fumes that encircle Bronco's at all times. The new Magnaflow Y-pipe is a 2.5", so I just took it to our shop next door neighbor who does exhaust work for the coupler to my previous stuff.

I am not a fan of a lot of engine noise in general, especially drones while driving for hundreds of miles at a time. I wouldn't say that the new header setup is any louder than the manifolds that were on it (may be due to cracked manifolds and exhaust leaks on the stock stuff). No drone, not loud = happy camper.

7.5/10 - Would recommend to a friend. Black coating on headers is not high temp so it bakes off - had to massage the fit on the Y-Pipe.

About 3-5 hours to remove old and install new in your garage. *I don't have stock coil buckets. Will take much longer if you do*
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

I've developed a crack in my factory y-pipe, which means its te to dust off the Bassani y-pipe amd get it installed. I want to convert to a single cat system.I was looking at one from Catco. Can you guys recommend a good exhaust shop and a cat?
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

The bassani stuff pretty damn well- so what I would say is price out the exhaust shop vs. the bassani-- you'd hate to risk spending a small amount more on a legitimately nice bolt on part to have a shop build a shit non-mandrel bent exhaust. Some great exhaust shops but there's a ton of junk work out there too.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

VintageIronFab wrote:The bassani stuff pretty damn well- so what I would say is price out the exhaust shop vs. the bassani-- you'd hate to risk spending a small amount more on a legitimately nice bolt on part to have a shop build a shit non-mandrel bent exhaust. Some great exhaust shops but there's a ton of junk work out there too.
I scored a Bassani Y-pipe on Craigslist a while back. Its been waiting for this day to arrive. I was asking for a cat & shop recommendation. I want to make sure that I avoid amy future complications by choosing the correct cat and a good shop.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Be careful here Will and read up on state smog laws. Last I remember you are not allowed to use a generic replacement cat here in CA. Has to have a CARB number & be a certain replacement thing. You can fail the visual part of the smog inspection if the "proper" part isn't used. No clue how they can say one cat is legal & another is not, but hey, it's commiefornia & they do what they want & we suffer the consequences.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
THEJESUS
Bronco Info: WHITE 1992 BRONCO XLT w/ 4" LIFT ON 35" TOYO OPEN COUNTRY'S

Post by THEJESUS »

I did the pacesetter shorty headers from summit also. With a custom 2.5in y pipe to a 3in pipe with a MagnaFlow muffler it sounds really nice at idle and not too loud when driving. When I get on it is when it sounds amazing! I get a lot of compliments on it. If you are local to Murrieta I got mine done at best muffler in Lake Elisnore they charged me about $350ish maybe less. Where can I pick up stage 8 header bolts?! my exhaust gasket keeps going and drives me crazy.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!
Deslboy
Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 351. Currently being built. Solo c&t beams, solo radius arms, solo shock hoops

Post by Deslboy »

I am running the Gibson headers. I had a set of JBA's on when I bought it. They were cracked around the egr tube port and they leaked. In my opinion, Gibson is a much better product and much cheaper than the JBA. I was able to get to all but 1 header bolt with a ratchet and socket. Also the flange is thicker on the Gibson.
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

I bought the summit headers (pacesetter) as well after reading good reviews elsewhere.

Jesus, when you ask about the fasteners, I believe they're talking about arp ones, I also spent the extra $ and got good quality gaskets, the name is escaping me at the moment but they're graphite, I had similar issues on my el Camino when once I switched to them I never had a problem again after that
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

For what it's worth I think summit is your best bet
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
THEJESUS
Bronco Info: WHITE 1992 BRONCO XLT w/ 4" LIFT ON 35" TOYO OPEN COUNTRY'S

Post by THEJESUS »

Thanks I'll have to get me a set!
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Gaskets
....Remflex.....
Only way to go