Bronco Rear Tank Swap

nubreed71
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Bronco Rear Tank Swap

Post by nubreed71 »

Only sorta Bronco related since the tank would come out of a Bronco...but does anyone here know if I wanted to swap a Bronco tank into my F-150, do I basically just need to go to a pick a part and pull a tank, complete with pump assembly and sender unit, and skid plate, straps and I'm good to go? Just need a little custom fab to attach the straps/skidlplate?
snowman429
Bronco Info: 93 Bronco alot of work

Re: Bronco Rear Tank Swap

Post by snowman429 »

It should go right in.
otter
Bronco Info: Currently in a holding pattern

Post by otter »

LMC truck sells a direct bolt in 38 gallon rear tank. It comes with everything needed to use the stock pump and sending unit. It's listed for the 80-89 trucks but I don't see why it wouldn't work on the newer trucks. It sell for $179. This is what I am planning for a little bit down the road.
otter
Bronco Info: Currently in a holding pattern

Post by otter »

Rockauto.com has them for $127
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

80-89 have different pump and sending unit. 2 5/8" opening vs 3" if I remember correctly. I'm not sure how hard it would be to adapt the older pump/sending unit to your newer trucks.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

You have to move the cross member to but a Bronco in on a truck. You are better off with the 38 gallon Spectre tank that is sold on Amazon and everwhere else for a cab and chassis truck. It comes with new hardware and tank strap spacers.
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

cs_drums wrote:80-89 have different pump and sending unit. 2 5/8" opening vs 3" if I remember correctly. I'm not sure how hard it would be to adapt the older pump/sending unit to your newer trucks.
That's my understanding as well Brian. From what I've been told it's easier to get a tank from the appropriate year for your truck so that you don't have to mix and match fuel pump and sending units.

fabbing an extra cross member out of angle iron to make the bronco tank work should be pretty straightforward. I'm mostly wondering if the pump/sending unit will work with my truck.
jkrell
Bronco Info: Ford F150 Flareside

Post by jkrell »

I found a great write up on this topic a while back on the web...I have it in a word document, I wish I could post it here but it would let me, anybody know how? I have the 38 gallon spectre tank sitting in my garage but haven't done the swap yet. Looks pretty straight forward.
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

I think I know the word doc you're talking about. I'd love to see it...can you email it to me at towards@gmail.com? Or better yet, do your swap and then school me on how to do it! :-)

Which tank did you get? F26e? F26d?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

jkrell wrote:I found a great write up on this topic a while back on the web...I have it in a word document, I wish I could post it here but it would let me, anybody know how? I have the 38 gallon spectre tank sitting in my garage but haven't done the swap yet. Looks pretty straight forward.
Email it to gofastbroncos at gmail and I'll post it.
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

I emailed the write ups to you guys today!
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

Found a link to the write up

http://www.northtexaspowerstrokes.com/m ... allontank/

My only question is about the float replacement...looks like that part is 130 bucks, wondering if I can just extend the stock float? Seems doable.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I've seen guys extend the stock float before. With basic fab/mechanic type skills you should be able to figure it out. There also is probably a write up on it a few different places on FTE (ford-trucks.com)
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

As I understand it, from looking at the bag full of small parts that came with my F26D tank, it includes stuff to extend the stock float. I plan to go that route before plunking down $125 for a new float.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I thought you were doing a Bronco tank?

The 38 gallon cab and chassis tank is different in shape than a Bronco 33 gallon tank.

Nothing needs fabricated with a 38 gallon tank. The 33 gallon Bronco tank requires the rear x-member to be moved forward about 4" or an additional cross member to be added in (what I did).
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Originally the plan was for a bronco tank, but after more research, it seems that the 38 gallon spectra unit will be a more direct swap, and actually less expensive overall, so I opted for that instead. You're correct...I can just do the 38 gallon unit into the same spot as my existing 19 gallon tank, and can use my existing straps. Just need to swap out the bolts for longer ones and spacers, which are included with the 38 gallon tank.
Jbfab
Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.

Post by Jbfab »

Is the specra the F26E? I also wanted to do the bronco tank on my four door but dont want to move my x member. I have a list of things to do and thats just not something i want to add to the list. I look forward to photos of the install.
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

I went with the Spectra F26D since it was $20 less than the F26E. It's the same as the F26E, but has a vent tube inside the filler neck. You just have to twist that vent tube to pop the spot welds and remove it.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I know this is a old thread, but I was thinking of doing just the opposite as the original post asked.

I was thinking of putting a f150 38 gallon tank in my 86 Bronco chassis. I would assume the cross member would have to be pushed back 4 or so inches, but would it fit width wise?

I was even thinking of a Superduty 40 gallon tank. If the width works, then moving the cross member is not a big deal for me.

As far as pump and sending unit. I have that Holley Universal In-Tank fuel pump and I am thinking of the New Holley Lidar fuel sending unit. No more float to worry about.

What do you think?

David

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

IMO I don't think the extra 5 -7 gallons is worth the fabrication efforts, especially when you can have the extra five gallons with a Jerry can.

To reply to the originating post and for my personal information:

"The 1996 Ford Bronco has a gas tank capacity of 32 gallons. However, some gas tanks for the 1990-1996 Ford Bronco have a capacity of 33 gallons2. The size of the gas tank for the 1996 Ford Bronco is 31 7/8 W x 22 1/4 L x 15 3/4 T."

The 1996 F150 rear tank dimensions: 34 3/4 W x 27" L x 7 7/8 T

So looks like the rear crossmember needs to be moved forward 5 5/8" or a new crossmember needs to be put in and I think the bronco tank support can be used.