Auto to man transfer swap

njackson580
Bronco Info: Still in the market since mine went M.I.A.

Auto to man transfer swap

Post by njackson580 »

Been looking for a while for the perfect bronco. Got a lead on one almost perfect. It's a 91 Eddie Bauer, 5.8/ e40d. How hard is it to change the electronic transfer case control to a manual control on the floor?
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: Auto to man transfer swap

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Easy. You need a manual transfer case with the stick and linkage. The hole is covered by a panel.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

The electric case isnt horrible. Mine never failed to operate... just excercise it regularly and the motor will last.
njackson580

Post by njackson580 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Easy. You need a manual transfer case with the stick and linkage. The hole is covered by a panel.
Awesome. So not could be done by someone mechanically inclined, but likes to work... Ahem... Under the influence? Haha
njackson580

Post by njackson580 »

Silverslk wrote:The electric case isnt horrible. Mine never failed to operate... just excercise it regularly and the motor will last.
I've seen them fail to many times. Not to mention, if I get stuck somewhere in 2 and need four, the auto system makes it difficult to get into four without travel space (to my knowledge of how the system works.) So manual hubs would also be going in.

In short, I prefer a manual 4wd system.
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

You need the manual hubs to prevent the hubs from unlocking when you go in reverse (like rocking out of snow or something) but the T-case isnt really a issue.... but if you've seen them fail many times.... then your mind is set. :)
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Silverslk wrote:You need the manual hubs to prevent the hubs from unlocking when you go in reverse (like rocking out of snow or something) but the T-case isnt really a issue.... but if you've seen them fail many times.... then your mind is set. :)
The auto hubs won't unlock unless you are reversing and the axle is not spinning. If the axle is spinning (IE transfer case is in 4wd) the hubs stay locked.

The manual transfer case will need to have a VSS provision on it I think, because that year has the VSS in the output housing rather than the rear end.
njackson580

Post by njackson580 »

Here's the bronco in question:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4699498750.html

And looky there : 4wd doesn't work. That's why I want manual.

Thank you guys for the help!
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

njackson580 wrote:Here's the bronco in question:

By the looks of the ad... you should put manual windows and remove the AC too !!! :D
njackson580

Post by njackson580 »

Silverslk wrote:
njackson580 wrote:Here's the bronco in question:

By the looks of the ad... you should put manual windows and remove the AC too !!! :D
Haha I gotta have power windows, especially in something as wide as a bronco.

However, turning the ac pump into an on-board air compressor could be quite useful...
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

The e tcase is fine. I have a Shifters in a tool bag for the worst case senario but it's 3 bolts if I need it.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I guess my question is if putting a manual tcase in a 96 FSB -- as a rule of thumb what's the best year and model to get a manual one from ??
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Doesn't matter as long as it's a Bronco 1356. The trucks all had different outputs.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

My search lasted for many months. Ever time I saw a 96 with manual transfer the all were leakers with puddles under the motor. I was looking in AZ & CA. The one I found came from a ranchers wife in ElCentro.
My advice is keep looking because the right one is out there.
njackson580

Post by njackson580 »

PaulW wrote:My search lasted for many months. Ever time I saw a 96 with manual transfer the all were leakers with puddles under the motor. I was looking in AZ & CA. The one I found came from a ranchers wife in ElCentro.
I'm still looking. Truth is, in waiting for some music equipment to sell to have the money. In my searches, it always seems the 90/91 Eddie Bauer editions have electronic 4wd. I want one with power windows and locks. Want the spare on the swing arm out back, not inside cabin. And the 5.8. Seems like the best way to get all that is Eddie Bauer, which also all seem to have the electronic 4wd.

Just wanted to be able to open my search terms to find what I want.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

njackson580 wrote:
PaulW wrote:My search lasted for many months. Ever time I saw a 96 with manual transfer the all were leakers with puddles under the motor. I was looking in AZ & CA. The one I found came from a ranchers wife in ElCentro.
I'm still looking. Truth is, in waiting for some music equipment to sell to have the money. In my searches, it always seems the 90/91 Eddie Bauer editions have electronic 4wd. I want one with power windows and locks. Want the spare on the swing arm out back, not inside cabin. And the 5.8. Seems like the best way to get all that is Eddie Bauer, which also all seem to have the electronic 4wd.

======
Broaden your search to XLT and find a fully loaded one. I never saw an eddie with manual hubs in a very long search. I found several at the time out in the farm country.
njackson580

Post by njackson580 »

PaulW wrote:
njackson580 wrote:

======
Broaden your search to XLT and find a fully loaded one. I never saw an eddie with manual hubs in a very long search. I found several at the time out in the farm country.
Thats what I've noticed. But I'm not sure I've seen an xlt with the spare tire on the swing arm out back. Only inside the cabin. Did the xlt ever come with the spare outside?
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Seems like searching for small potatoes depending on the build plan. It seams near impossible to find a late model without push button but how bad is it. I have never had an issue with ford stuff. The Cjevy vacumn stuff was horrible but is ford stuff really that bad. Also if it did happen to go bad a $60 shiftster in a gear bag is 3 bolts away from not worrying about it. I think your passing up a bunch of rugs with tons of potential holding out for a unicorn haha just my .02$
njackson580

Post by njackson580 »

cs_drums wrote:Seems like searching for small potatoes depending on the build plan. It seams near impossible to find a late model without push button but how bad is it. I have never had an issue with ford stuff. The Cjevy vacumn stuff was horrible but is ford stuff really that bad. Also if it did happen to go bad a $60 shiftster in a gear bag is 3 bolts away from not worrying about it. I think your passing up a bunch of rugs with tons of potential holding out for a unicorn haha just my .02$
Is it actually possible to just attach the manual linkage to the electronic t case? I was told by what I thought was a reputable company that the entire t case had to be changed.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

njackson580 wrote:
cs_drums wrote:Seems like searching for small potatoes depending on the build plan. It seams near impossible to find a late model without push button but how bad is it. I have never had an issue with ford stuff. The Cjevy vacumn stuff was horrible but is ford stuff really that bad. Also if it did happen to go bad a $60 shiftster in a gear bag is 3 bolts away from not worrying about it. I think your passing up a bunch of rugs with tons of potential holding out for a unicorn haha just my .02$
Is it actually possible to just attach the manual linkage to the electronic t case? I was told by what I thought was a reputable company that the entire t case had to be changed.
======
It wont work to use the standard shifter on the electric one. You can buy an mechanical device that attached to the side of the transfer. Climb under and move the thing with your hand and it over rides the motor. If you buy a rig with an electric transfer just add to the cost for a standard transfer with lever and swap the thing. Guys do it all the time. Get what you need off the web.
You make it to hard, just buy to your specs and keep looking. Not likely in CA look in AZ, NM, etc.
PW