Header gasket blowout party

Gilbee01
Bronco Info: 1996 bronco EB

Header gasket blowout party

Post by Gilbee01 »

I have blown out 2 sets of exhaust header gasket for a hedman set on my bronco 5.8. I noticed that the bolts don't stay in and this is prob causing the issue. What's my options here? ( I have torqued them to spec and have tried to rotate them).
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Header gasket blowout party

Post by PaulW »

Install with tq wrench run motor till hot, re torque, done
PW
Gilbee01

Post by Gilbee01 »

Tried that .. Still came loose
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Or your gasket is blowing out if it is a cheap gasket then the bolts lose torque. I usually use factory mustang gaskets and arp header studs. Makes putting on cheap headers easier. Also as Paul had stated heat up and re-torque.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

Stage 8 bolts with the locking clips always solved my issues with this. If the headers aren't flat and have some stress in them from welding they will be hard to keep tight.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Use percys seal 4 good header gaskets...reusable and I believe are guaranteed against blow out.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I like the others said, remove the header see if its flat, if not surface grind, flycut or belt sand to flat agian. In a pinch remove them and rub the mating surface back n forth agianst the concrete. Any low spots will show as unscratched. Quick n dirty check that works as long as the concrete is finished with few high spots. Or use a straight edge, if you see light there warped. Fix the warp fix the blowout issue.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I blew out 2 gaskets before I checked to make sure the header flange was flat.... not so much. I had and old belt from my belt sander I just and laid flat on a work bench. Sprayed it with some blach primer and sanded it flat like that. A good exhaust shop should be able to do it for you though.
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

Had a similar issue with a 22R. I ended up using a copper gasket and copper gasket maker.
Gilbee01

Post by Gilbee01 »

So here's the update.. Put on extra thick retro flex gasket on drivers side and leak was gone.. Also put on stage 8 locking bolts. Also works great.... However the pass anger side sprang a leak now. Thought ok.. Too easy.. Nope I was wrong.. Gasket fell apart when I pulled it out of package and there is really no room to work for a 280 pound giant. Long story it took 5 hours to remove Exhaust header , break gasket, kick fender in rage mode, go buy cheap set becuase the store didn't have a new good set, install it, and now still have a leak...
Coueshunter
Bronco Info: 96 bronco in the strarting

Post by Coueshunter »

shockseals.com wrote:Use percys seal 4 good header gaskets...reusable and I believe are guaranteed against blow out.

This! Stocked at Auto ZOnes... best there is
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have seen a couple warped Headman header flanges that had the same issue with blowing out. Even with a good gasket. Like said by others, check the flange and if needed get it machined flat. I like safety wiring bolts but the locking bolts work well.

On my JBA headers, no problems with backing out with regular header bolts. Evan after 100k miles. I wonder if the flange design contributes to them loosening or what?
-JD5353-
Bronco Info: 1992 EB, current build, 44/50 beams, 10.5 axle, 6BT swap, gofast

Post by -JD5353- »

Half decent header with a good thick non warped flange, and Teflon tape the header bolts. Works well.