Batteries

yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Batteries

Post by yikes »

A subject of many varying opinions.

I'm planning to relocate my battery and would like to go to a dry cell. After reading a few threads, there seems to be a general consensus that the Odyssey batteries are not happy in off road vehicles. Optima owners seem to prefer the yellow top over the red 2:1. I've been interested in the Total Power batteries and have yet to find a negative comment about them. So anyway, I'm uncertain what is the best route to take. No, I haven't considered Interstate either.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Re: Batteries

Post by Dust »

Went through 3 Red tops in 3 years under warranty. Even new they would not start a 429 if the temprature was under 20°F and would not even light the headlights under zero.
finally the distributor let me upgrade to a Blue Top which has just flat worked since and that includes sub-zero starts not having been used for 2 weeks. That Battery is mounted behind the seat in my 4x4.
In everything else where the battery is in a more "Normal" location I'm running conventional Interstate's; zero complaints! I don't know what I'll run in the Bronco as the Battery will be in the back, the Blue Top has worked.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

dont know much about the others, but my red top has been a good battery.it is located in the back of my bronco,but i am going to relocate it to the front foot rest(going to modify the floor board.i think it is too far and i have had some issuse with charging.
a yellow top is going to replace it. i have had it in the truck for almost 3 years .
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Dust wrote:In everything else where the battery is in a more "Normal" location I'm running conventional Interstate's; zero complaints!
Same here. But not necessarily Interstate. I used to run "dry cell" batteries in everything I owned but got tired of them because they can be finicky and certainly don't like to be drained or charged fast. These days it's plain Jane (and much cheaper) batteries unless a specific application requires something special.

That said, I had VERY good luck with NAPA (Exide) Orbital batteries. I used them in everything from my Old Camaro to the wife's Escape. I think they're a better battery than the Optima and the warranty is good at NAPA stores across the U.S.

The Optima batteries are probably the same way, but I always liked that the Orbital has two holes in between the cells that you can run long bolts through. I used them to mount a battery upside down on a car once... worked great and was easy to do.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

That's right. I remember you talking about those before Steve. I'll have to head to the Napa after work and check 'em out. Thanks for the input fellas. Another question: Do dry cells tend to corrode the same as the lead/acid?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

yes the "dry" cells can corrode and from what a buddy (electrical nut) was telling me a lead/acid can often be "shocked" back to life in this case but the "dry" cells can't.

I'm still very up in the air on what to run in my trucks as well.

I know I am going duals in the crew cab (tow rig, chase truck, family camping rig), but I am undecided abotu duals in the supercab (desert toy).

I will probably run lead/acid in the crew and optimas in the supercab, but I'm not sure yet. The plan had been an odessy or 2 until I heard the complaints about off road.

My other problem is I'm bad with batteries - meaning I let my stuff sit for weeks on end sometimes and don't even really start it or keep a battery tender on it. That is BAD hard on batteries and i think I need to buy a battery tender, but old habits die hard...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Dust

Post by Dust »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:yes the "dry" cells can corrode and from what a buddy (electrical nut) was telling me a lead/acid can often be "shocked" back to life in this case but the "dry" cells can't.

I'm still very up in the air on what to run in my trucks as well.

I know I am going duals in the crew cab (tow rig, chase truck, family camping rig), but I am undecided abotu duals in the supercab (desert toy).

I will probably run lead/acid in the crew and optimas in the supercab, but I'm not sure yet. The plan had been an odessy or 2 until I heard the complaints about off road.

My other problem is I'm bad with batteries - meaning I let my stuff sit for weeks on end sometimes and don't even really start it or keep a battery tender on it. That is BAD hard on batteries and i think I need to buy a battery tender, but old habits die hard...
Forget the Red Top, of optima go Blue or Yellow.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

The local NAPA doesn't have the Exide Orbitals and haven't ever carried them. So who's got the best deals on Optimas? Ebay? Haha!
Dust

Post by Dust »

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

From what I have seen/read about the optimas the red top is for everyday type use. Yellow tops are deep cycle for starting and blues are Marine.

Forgive me as I am a battery (all electrical really) numb nuts - but would there be any negative effect in running a yellow or blue top on something that gets started/driven pretty much every day and using the yellow top as the primary?

Also, just to spread more hearsay on the optimas - I have heard that you have to watch out for the knickoffs being sold as optimas on ebay, etc. I have also heard that since optima was bought a few years back the quality has gone way down hill and all batteries are really hit and miss with them now...
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

That thing seems to have issues. When I put in my zip code and it refreshed to the map no "dots" or marks for a dealer showed up. If I zoomed out a couple times the dots would show up (in areas that were shown on the more zoomed in map) but clicking on them did no good.

I also clicked on the "where to buy" link and got an error message.
Dust

Post by Dust »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:From what I have seen/read about the optimas the red top is for everyday type use. Yellow tops are deep cycle for starting and blues are Marine.

Forgive me as I am a battery (all electrical really) numb nuts - but would there be any negative effect in running a yellow or blue top on something that gets started/driven pretty much every day and using the yellow top as the primary?

Also, just to spread more hearsay on the optimas - I have heard that you have to watch out for the knickoffs being sold as optimas on ebay, etc. I have also heard that since optima was bought a few years back the quality has gone way down hill and all batteries are really hit and miss with them now...
Based on my experience (and the fact that the local distributor has basically quit supporting) the Red Top is a POS. They were good when first introduced years ago but today it is completly...
The Yellow Top is regularly used as a starter and the Blue is designed as a marine deep cycle/starter.
One other thing the distributor says if you are running dual Batt'z that in the Optimas they both need to be the same so no red and blue or yellow. He will not warranty any battery that was mixed... something to do with charging burning out the Redz.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I might be able to input some helpful information here. I sell a lot of batteries... more than my local Ford and Chevy dealers combined according to my distributor.

Optima and Exide Orbital batteries where once completely different. Both are currently made in the same factory with the same stuff. The only thing different about them is case shape and the stickers. The quality has gone way down in the last few years on both. I rarely ever had to warranty these batteries and I now do it at a fairly heavy rate. Part of the issue is that these batteries have to be charged slowly when discharged too far. Set your charger at 2amp and leave it for a while... any more amperage can destroy one. The only time I have seen AGM/dry cell batteries corrode is when the case is broken or they are overcharged constantly. If you do puncture the case use silicone or RTV to close the hole up. AGM/dry cells suck in cold weather. If you live in Canada or the Arctic buy a flooded battery.

The top color doesn't really matter, the bottom case does. A light gray bottom indicates a deep cycle cell and dark gray/black is a starting battery. If you let batteries sit for long periods you need a deep cycle or a battery tender type device. If you drive your truck every day a starting battery is what you need.

An optima will survive vibration way better than a flooded battery. As far as flooded batteries go brands do not matter. Batteries are only made in like 3 factories now and a lot of times one manufacturer will buy from another when low on stock and just re label them. Go with who ever gives you the best service or price, whichever you prefer. I doubt you will get both. The warranty period will give an indication of the quality of the product. Battery companies normally rate the warranty slightly less than the average lifespan of XX battery.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Autozone is the best bet for Optimas due to there ridiculous warranty. They restart my warranty every time I bring one back... I bought the first one in 2002!

Mixing deep cycle and starting batteries is a no no unless you have a battery isolator or manual battery switch you stay on top of.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

I ran a blue top Optima everyday for about six or seven years. I sold it with the EB and it still worked alright, but was getting weaker. I thought it was a very good battery. I had drained it down a number of times, but it always charged back up.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Not sure if there is a best battery. One thing for sure you should get an AGM one - not a flooded one. Optimas have a checkered track record since they changed the place they make them. About 2-3 years ago. I have had a dead yellow. But I now have 2 yellows that are working OK on the 96. I use a 1.5A maintainer on them whenever the Bronco is not in use. But then I do that for all my various rigs.
With batteries my next ones will be cheap with a long warrantee. Like Walmart. Cost rules. The AGMs will crank like crazy and using the biggest one that will fit solves the case of high drain when parked at the races.

The EB has an oversized yellow WM unit (better than the jeep for winch use). The Jeep has an Optima red (not a good choice for a winch rig). The TDI has a new deep cycle. as required for the high amp glow plugs. The SD diesel has two no name AGMs like all the others. Not having good luck there. One died in 1 year and got replaced under the warrantee. I used the no name because it was half the cost of the Motorcraft. 1/4 the cost of a yellow Optima and many times the reserve amp hours.
With AGM never run it down, as you will kill it. And always charge it with a smart charger at the lowest amp settin as possible 2a max. My success proves this is the best way.
Paul
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

If you are local to the 626 baja junkie (Kevin Davis) is a battery guy. Battery Sales Unlimited in Glendora...there is def an offroad discount.

I run yellow top.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Good posts! Lots of good info from you guys - thanks.
In talking with my buddy about batteries a week or 2 ago I learned some of what was posted, but had already forgotten a bunch of it. Now with it posted here I can just refer back when I forget again...

Also, based on the info posted above it looks like the crew will get 2 yellowtops and the supercab will get one or 2 yellow tops (grey bottom based on what Philo posted).

Before I was thinking a red top for starting and a yellow for running the winch, race radio, etc. Not after the recent posts though!
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Good posts! Lots of good info from you guys - thanks.
In talking with my buddy about batteries a week or 2 ago I learned some of what was posted, but had already forgotten a bunch of it. Now with it posted here I can just refer back when I forget again...

Also, based on the info posted above it looks like the crew will get 2 yellowtops and the supercab will get one or 2 yellow tops (grey bottom based on what Philo posted).

Before I was thinking a red top for starting and a yellow for running the winch, race radio, etc. Not after the recent posts though!
==========
For a winch the heaviest batt is the best because it will have the largest reserve capacity. For starting any agm will turn crank the highest compression motor out there. Would you believe a Panasonic 17AH that is about 10x4x6" and it will crank anything. Trouble is 17AH is not going to cut it for lights or a winch.
I would recomment a size 65 AGM for winching
Optima has nothing to compete with any size 65 and at nearly $200 a pop vs $65 for the size 65 its a no brainer. I use yellow Optimas because I got them for $35 each. That is what is called profit. Cost vs retail.
Paul
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Well - based on that post I will have to look into the size 65 AGMs from Kevin or another battery supplier.

Is it safe to assume these things will do fine as "starting" batteries as well? I have heard that when running duals the batteries need to be the same size/output (CCA's I would assume here) or they will drain/kill each other.