Adding a tank

Gilbee01
Bronco Info: 1996 bronco EB

Adding a tank

Post by Gilbee01 »

I have a 96 bronco with the std tank and I do a lot of outdoors in the Rockies but what can I do about putting in a side tank.
Is that possible in a bronco?
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Re: Adding a tank

Post by Tchajagos »

I believe you can either get a larger rear tank or some jerry cans. You probably could if you can find a small one but the work that is involved to put it in along with adding all the plumbing and sheet metal work to add the door, it would be more expensive and take a lot longer than either of the option above. If you need more fuel for extended trips I would build a swing out bumper or roof rack where I could mount a few gas cans. I would not mount them inside the cab though.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

JBG has a 45 gal steel tank, that might help.
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-302 ... -tank.html
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

They sold an aftermarket 70 gallon rear tank but the company (northwest) that was making them sold that division. Now days Solo Motorsports makes one, and possibly aero tanks, I emailed solo recently about the same thing, the reply email said to call down and discuss the options reguarding size. So I suggest you may want to do the same. I myself am going to make my own out of heavy guage aluminum and install baffles for both strength increases but more so to minimize slosh. If I can get 45-50 gallon size I will be happy but that's on my to do list still. I figure its gotta be 600$ so I mine as well just make it for that kind of price.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Your link reminded me of where I got that ball park price Rod. I couldn't remember till I saw the brand name posted with the link.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

Rmc wrote:They sold an aftermarket 70 gallon rear tank but the company (northwest) that was making them sold that division. Now days Solo Motorsports makes one, and possibly aero tanks, I emailed solo recently about the same thing, the reply email said to call down and discuss the options reguarding size. So I suggest you may want to do the same. I myself am going to make my own out of heavy guage aluminum and install baffles for both strength increases but more so to minimize slosh. If I can get 45-50 gallon size I will be happy but that's on my to do list still. I figure its gotta be 600$ so I mine as well just make it for that kind of price.
With our various enlightened governments putting Ethanol in our gasoline at ever increasing percentages for the sole purpose of wrecking this planet and or causing our extinction faster then otherwise; I would recommend that you build a Gasoline tank out of Stainless rather then Aluminum. Diesel makes no never mind on the material.

Dust
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I'm guessing the ethanol will eat the aluminum?
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

that JBG tank is for sure a NWMP tank-- that logo on the side is the NWMP sticker. If you are much of a fabricator you can easily replicate the NWMP tank as its not too impressive if you ask me. I know for $629 and about $75 in shipping I would tend to think at least a little about making one.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

Rmc wrote:I'm guessing the ethanol will eat the aluminum?
Yes though it will take time.
The action I have seen is:
Most vehicles with custom aluminum tanks spend long periods sitting.
Aluminum tanks are typically not fabricated to be sealed thus they are vented to the atmosphere.
Aluminum tanks tend to sweat or condense water vapor into its liquid state.
Liquid Water and to a lesser degree Vapor readily combines with ethanol to form Formic Acid and
it is that compound that will eat the tank and every piece of 'rubber' in the fuel system from any rubber line to the injector seals...
The effect on the tank can manifest as an oxide and you can see this crud in a used tank, it is the white powder in the filters screens and bottom of the tank

A steel tank is far more resistant to corrosion but not completely.
This depends on what fuel you keep in the tank. Race gas and some brands of premium pump fuel are ethanol free.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Thanks for the feedback Dust, I did a little looking around after you mentioned that and I would agree. The article I read was about boat fuel tanks saying the exact same thing. Thank you for the heads up. Stainless it is.