Relocating your Battery ideas??

Prerunbronc
Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.8 coilovers, deavers, 2.5 fox, full glass, air bumps, 9" rearend

Moving battery to the back

Post by Prerunbronc »

How many of you have moved your battery to the back I am running out of room in my engine compartment and thinking of putting a optima in the back of the bronco.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Re: Moving battery to the back

Post by Dust »

I put the Batt in my Highboy behind the seat in the cab.
Do Not Use a Red Top! Not enough amp and (my opinion) junk quality.
Size the cable and then choose the next size larger if your run is over about 6-feet or if you have a winch.
Heat reduces cable capability so watch the heat sources and a cut cable is a welder so protection is important.
Solder and heat shrink connections.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Prerunbronc wrote:How many of you have moved your battery to the back I am running out of room in my engine compartment and thinking of putting a optima in the back of the bronco.
=======
Both Chris and I have dual yellows mounted in the far rear corners. Be sure you have raelly big wires and have them very well protected.
Paul
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

PaulW wrote:
Prerunbronc wrote:How many of you have moved your battery to the back I am running out of room in my engine compartment and thinking of putting a optima in the back of the bronco.
=======
Both Chris and I have dual yellows mounted in the far rear corners. Be sure you have raelly big wires and have them very well protected.
Paul
Todd's has them mounted in the rear corners also.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Here is a laugh
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showth ... -nightmare
The guy re-wired the engine instesd of extending the battery cables.
Lots of sound ways to splice the cables or just buy long cables for the old location to the new location, and just leave the relay and engine wiring alone.
Paul
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

mine is is the rear pass corner.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

My opinion. Under is better.
Prerunbronc
Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.8 coilovers, deavers, 2.5 fox, full glass, air bumps, 9" rearend

Post by Prerunbronc »

I had thought about putting it under but was worried about hitting it on rocks. Have you ever had any problems?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

My first setup - under. made of 1/8" sheet steel with folded up sodes. It held 2 optimas.
The pics show the attachemt to the transfer skid and the floor crossmenber. I used 1/2" angle to keep the batts from shifgting. I used a floor jack to raise and lower it. After a few trips I decided to add the Al plate on both sides. While I used it it never had and hits from rocks or other. The biggest drawback was it had to be lowered to change the fuel filter. I use pretty long welding cables so lowering it did not present any issues. Lots of zip ties were required to manage the cables. Of course the thing did not fit when the Bronco was stretched so now the batts are on the floor in the rear far corners with longer cables.
Paul
Attachments
P6230100.JPG
P6230100.JPG (56.95 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
P6230099.JPG
P6230099.JPG (57.47 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

mkiefer wrote:My opinion. Under is better.
Mark - How did you route the cables? Getting ready to do mine, but not sure which path to take.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Battery relocation options

Post by Polarcub »

Thought I would see where folks have relocated their batteries too I plan on doing this soon but have yet to convince myself where. I have it basically between 2 spots
A) Behind the rear seat or...
B) Under the floor under the rear seat

I see downsides to both locations...I am inclined to go with mounting it inside behind the rear seat between the shock mounting structure but I am not thrilled with having a battery inside the vehicle.

If I go under the truck its a PITA to change the battery or access it even witha trap door....Your thoughts?
Jeremy
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Battery relocation options

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Run an AGM battery & inside the cab is no big deal at all. That being said in my buddies blazer I was sinking then (duals) into the body just inside the tailgate on either side. I'm pretty sure this would interfere with the shackles on the broncos though.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Steve running an AGM which is why I am considering it...I like the idea of sinking it I never really thought of that. In the rear like you did with the blazer would interfere with the shackles for sure but I may have room to do that behind the seat I will have to look closer. Thanks for the idea. The plan is to have room for two since i am eventually going to run dual.
Jeremy
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I like them sunk when possible. The ones in the blazer were going to be partially sunk - kind of like the one in my alfa (pic below), due to space limitations, but when possibly I like them completely sunken with a trap door (piano hinges & a dzus tab make this trick!
Attachments
x 162.jpg
x 162.jpg (84.54 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

You can vent outside the vehicle if you want, or just run an AGM battery.

You can put it on the left side of the truck in front of the axle, inside the vehicle anywhere (in front of the passenger seat on the Piece), or outside the frame rail on either side.

Don't limit yourself to Optimas, batteries come in lots of shapes and sizes.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

philofab wrote:You can vent outside the vehicle if you want, or just run an AGM battery.

You can put it on the left side of the truck in front of the axle, inside the vehicle anywhere (in front of the passenger seat on the Piece), or outside the frame rail on either side.

Don't limit yourself to Optimas, batteries come in lots of shapes and sizes.
Never thought of the frame rails or under the passenger floor hmmm Thats why I wanted to see what everyone else has done or thought out......I used to run the odyssey's when they first hit the market and loved them then the quality went down hill they changed names IRC at one point too. My dad was using them in the fleet trucks at the time so i got a killer deal o them. Probably when this yellow top is done I will look towards something else (probably from you) haha. In fact once i get some cash together i was going to talk to you about an AGM for my little trailer. I have a lawn and garden battery for now as my 12 needs are very meager literally 2 lights and a power port and I didnt have the dough for a full size at the time. Thanks for the ideas Philo

@ Steve thats a slick install on the battery you guys have definitely given me some ideas
Jeremy
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

If you go under the floor in rear seat area make sure you cycle your suspension fully. Not a lot of room between pumpkin and floor fully bottomed on some rigs. Shockseals had a underneath mount for sale and Baja F250 has pics of underneath side mount if you change your mind on going under. Also keep in mind running batt cables/fuel lines driveline failure. They can really beat stuff up when they go.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

MOSS2 wrote:If you go under the floor in rear seat area make sure you cycle your suspension fully. Not a lot of room between pumpkin and floor fully bottomed on some rigs. Shockseals had a underneath mount for sale and Baja F250 has pics of underneath side mount if you change your mind on going under. Also keep in mind running batt cables/fuel lines driveline failure. They can really beat stuff up when they go.
You bring up the very points that concerne me with going under.....Looking at things briefly last night I am considering outside the frame rails just aft of the radius arm mounts. Plenty of room and it looks like I can route the battery cables where they will be protected. I have this bad habit of overthinking things at times and mulling things over and over haha
Jeremy
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Polarcub wrote:I have this bad habit of overthinking things at times and mulling things over and over haha
It's not a bad habit at all - it's called proper planning & it will save you the same amount of time if not more in the end typically! Repairing stuff & doing it over takes longer than thinking it through the 1st time around!
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

My first setup was behind the transfer beside the DS Clearance from the ground was better than the transfer skid. THe box was mad to fit 2 Optimas tightly . THe disadvantage was the box had to be dropped to change the fuel filter. Extra cable length allowed it to sit on the floor for that task. The read of the box bolted to the crossmenber and teh front bolted to the transfer skid. 1/8" sheet was used. The diamond plaste is for a rock guard.
PaulW
Attachments
P6230101.JPG
P6230101.JPG (57.01 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
P6230100.JPG
P6230100.JPG (56.95 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
P6230099.JPG
P6230099.JPG (57.47 KiB) Viewed 2178 times