Relocating your Battery ideas??

Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

PaulW wrote:Yes, GPS and race radio need +12 all the time.
I might suggest a 6 position Bussman fuse block (auto store). The tap into the fat wire near the steering column for a +12 always on to feed the Bussman. (Strip & solder and tape up completely and label). Not a pure solution because the the radio likes to have power directly from the battery. So if you want a pure solution then you will need a feed to the new fuse block from your new fat wire. Not easy at the new switch, but a waterproof equivalent of the Bussman in the engine compartment neat the lug splice would work. Then you will need a feed thru the firewall to the new Bussman under the dash. its obvious why the pure solution is to much work for little gain in performance. All my rigs tap the fat +12 wire under the dash for an extra Bussman.
BTW, the best place for the batt switch is under the driver seat what the feed to the switch from underneath is possible and easy. Never in or on the console. Console mount is best used for a full up racer where it is handy. They usually run their fat wire out back inside the cab. Operate the switch by feel once you memorize the 4 positions.
Thank you sir! The information provided is very appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

VintageIronFab wrote:I wouldn’t ever run those stereo shop battery terminals. Nice looking but I’d only use the military style battery terminals if you want to completely eliminate battery connection issues.
Are you speaking of the brass terminals, Matt? Like the ones I have pictured.

Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

While on this topic.. does anyone know if the Odyssey pc1200 is enough battery for a bronco?

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: Relocating your Battery ideas??

Post by VintageIronFab »

Yea those in the pic clamp down on the cable via a non hardened Allen screw into a non hardened body that just don’t have the balls a HD battery lug has— too much room for corrosion and resistance IMO.
Attachments
1AD6C846-EFB2-45F1-8748-90768FB3DF7E.png
1AD6C846-EFB2-45F1-8748-90768FB3DF7E.png (481.71 KiB) Viewed 924 times
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
wookiee156
Bronco Info: 1988 full sise aka "The Blue Mare" soon to be prerunner / chaserig

Post by wookiee156 »

I am planning on putting my 2nd battery behind the driver side headlight by deleting my cruise control vacuum valve there’s a lot of room for the washer resi as for the rad overflow I’m thinking of using a Subaru style overflow bottle (mounts on rad) any thoughts?
arse_sidewards
Bronco Info: 94 F150, 133"+8ft, 4x4, 4.9, E4OD, lots of rust

Post by arse_sidewards »

wookiee156 wrote:any thoughts?
Yeah, don't do it.

Deleting the cruise control doesn't exactly buy much space because the wiring harness and master cylinder are still in the same vicinity. Your new battery is also going to be in the way when you decide you want room to stuff a taller shock at full compression.

There's also no reason to mount an extra 40lb brick on the fenders. They have enough weight to deal with. Convert to group 31 batteries and do a pair of boxes on the frame. Group 31 the standard battery for trucks and industrial use so they're cheap compared to other batteries of the same specs. As a side benifit the weight will be down low.

A basic L-channel frame to support the battery is all you need.
'94 F150, 4.9L, lockers at both ends
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Just to keep this thread going.
I finally relocated my battery to the passenger side rear, of the cargo area. I’ll post pictures of what I did tonight. And some details as to what size wire and the route that I took.

Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Here’s a few photos as to how I relocated my battery.
I used 1/0 battery cable. Could’ve used 2/0 or 3/0 I believe.
Anyway.. this was the first time I’ve done this. Maybe later in the future I’ll make something more cleaner.
Enjoy!

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Not sure how you'd make it much cleaner. Nice work Andy.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Hi Andy,
Nice work, however.
The side terminals on Optimas are for low current use only due to the small conductor size between the top terminals and the side ones. For general use and especially for high amp loads like starting and other thing like lots of lights or winches always use of the top terminals are required. Lots of others have made the same mistake and the result is pretty bad causing melting and eventual open circuit. Optima is the only battery manufacturer that has this issue.
Most of us use the side terminals for the low current buss. Like GPS, Radios, and instruments, etc.
Don't fight the reality just change the wire ends and reroute the cables.
Sorry for the bad news
Good luck, Paul
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Interesting info. I've never heard that about the optimas before. Granted I've never run one, but still I figured that should be more widely known info.

Good thing for Andy is it looks like he has enough slack in the cables to leave things where they are, grab a couple of the military battery terminals like in the pic above & easily shift the attachment location.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Not sure how you'd make it much cleaner. Nice work Andy.
Thanks !

Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

PaulW wrote:Hi Andy,
Nice work, however.
The side terminals on Optimas are for low current use only due to the small conductor size between the top terminals and the side ones. For general use and especially for high amp loads like starting and other thing like lots of lights or winches always use of the top terminals are required. Lots of others have made the same mistake and the result is pretty bad causing melting and eventual open circuit. Optima is the only battery manufacturer that has this issue.
Most of us use the side terminals for the low current buss. Like GPS, Radios, and instruments, etc.
Don't fight the reality just change the wire ends and reroute the cables.
Sorry for the bad news
Good luck, Paul
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

My story
The home-built aircraft people use Optimas and in the development process they discovered the small conductors. The goal was to trim the top of the battery to so it was not so tall and would fit in a "too small" space. Meanwhile look on the Internet and find many comments on what I said. Most of the reports came from guys using the side terminals for a winch. The result was the battery was destroyed with lots of sparks.
Use the Optima side terminals for your always on buss with a #10 or 12 wire routed to a multi fuse panel for the final feed.
Regarding Batteries in general:
I gave up on Optima years ago - to many failures since the production moved from Denver to Mexico. There are many more up to date modern brands out there now. Ask Philo for a recommendation. I have not asked, but I bet he sells the latest brands including Optima.
Paul
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yup. For any looking - Philo can and will help you out. He has great prices in the couple times I've used him over the past few 8 or 9 years or whatever it's been now. And I think he can get & will sell you an optima, but my guess is he'll push you towards something better for cheaper.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Military terminals is all I can say- leave the shmansy audio Chinese junk for street trucks!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)