Mufflers

Torta Runner

Mufflers

Post by Torta Runner »

Hey guys I was thinking of getting a Flowmaster 10series or a 30 please I need to know what would be better thank you
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Re: Mufflers

Post by Nick »

Moved to appropriate forum.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Better in what way? Performance wise you will see no difference. Only diff will be the sound.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Rednek Renegade
Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco Xlt 5.8L 4V H.O. C6, NP2o8

Post by Rednek Renegade »

You could get a cherrybomb extreme which would be the same as a 10 series for half the price on ebay, i had one and it sounded bitchin. The 30 is going to be alot more quiet, if you want the best of both worlds get a super 44, its right between the two.
Project el cheap-o
Squarehead

Post by Squarehead »

I think I've got a 50-series, and it's relatively quiet, but with a deep rumble.
magic carpet XLT

Post by magic carpet XLT »

i ran a flowmaster 40 delta for a long time and never realized what i was missing till i just swapped in a magnaflow 3" straight thru. sounds much better and even though its just as loud (maybe louder at WOT) it doesn't drone as bad on the freeway either, which is a big concern to me as i drive to wheel and with no OD 3k can get very loud after 3-4 hours.
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

Anyone tried the Borla XR-1 Race muffs on a 302/351w?
gr8brnc
Bronco Info: 96 Bronco, 535hp, lots of glass, coil overs coming soon

Post by gr8brnc »

I have a borla on my 351, not sure which one though. It sounds awesome!
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

magic carpet XLT wrote:i ran a flowmaster 40 delta for a long time and never realized what i was missing till i just swapped in a magnaflow 3" straight thru. sounds much better and even though its just as loud (maybe louder at WOT) it doesn't drone as bad on the freeway either, which is a big concern to me as i drive to wheel and with no OD 3k can get very loud after 3-4 hours.
100% Agree! If you are making big numbers you are giving some away to that non Flow box.
They sound like crap, which is just my opinion.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

magic carpet XLT wrote:i ran a flowmaster 40 delta for a long time and never realized what i was missing till i just swapped in a magnaflow 3" straight thru. sounds much better and even though its just as loud (maybe louder at WOT) it doesn't drone as bad on the freeway either, which is a big concern to me as i drive to wheel and with no OD 3k can get very loud after 3-4 hours.
Andy, do you know which model magnaflow you have?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i have a 3" straight through magna flo on my bronco, it sounds good when you are on it at high rpms...but it does get annoying on the freeway. headsets are worn on long runs down the highway.
i would love to change it out for something quieter
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

bajascott wrote:i have a 3" straight through magna flo on my bronco, it sounds good when you are on it at high rpms...but it does get annoying on the freeway. headsets are worn on long runs down the highway.
I have a 2.5" MAgnaflow and full length exhaust pipe on mine. It sounds great at idle but sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it gets wound up. Now I wish I had gone 3".

Scott, do you have a full exhaust on yours?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

no it dumps before the rear tire out the bedside....im sure full length would be alot nicer. i may do that when i get a job lol
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

bajascott wrote:i have a 3" straight through magna flo on my bronco, it sounds good when you are on it at high rpms...but it does get annoying on the freeway. headsets are worn on long runs down the highway.
SteveG wrote:I have a 2.5" MAgnaflow and full length exhaust pipe on mine. It sounds great at idle but sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it gets wound up. Now I wish I had gone 3".

Scott, do you have a full exhaust on yours?
I have a 2.5 Magnaflow dumping right before the tire. It sounded way better before the short pipe after the muffler was added, but reduced the noise at highway speeds enough that it does not bother me. As an added plus it does not smell as much with the rear window down.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
magic carpet XLT

Post by magic carpet XLT »

Nick wrote: Andy, do you know which model magnaflow you have?
you can kinda see it tucked up under the skid, its just the 3" in/out 4" body straight thru. when you get the engine wound up a little bit it sounds absolutely wicked, it doesn't sound like a stock motor but it is. it just sounds uncorked.

my pops has a big magnaflow dual in/out on his big block truck and it has an awesome tone, perfect for a DD. also nice and quiet.
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

"I have a borla on my 351, not sure which one though. It sounds awesome!"

I'm thinking about getting the Borla 40944 XR-1 Race muffler and going full length instead of side exit this time. Is yours maybe a pro-xs model? Is it center in/out or offset? Oval or round case? Single or dual in/out? All the way back or dumped short?
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Something I recommend and another I do not recommend.
After much breakage of the hangers and finally the muffler was cracked at the inlet all around the pipe.
I got a SS bellows from Summit. Should solve the breakage.
The muffler eqwas the shortest one we could locate at the time. Dont like it It is a Flowmaster Lenght is 13" or 16" pipe to pipe. It was suggested that a magnaflow would be quieter.
3" from the Y to the outlet.
Paul
Attachments
IMG_1267 (Large).JPG
IMG_1267 (Large).JPG (93.83 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Here is what magnaflow did for me while they used my truck for some fixturing of cats and crossover pipes.

Corvette muffler in/out front. I wanted the muffler to exit in front of leaf springs and angle down at the body line and with the two cats this is the only way to make that happen. They nailed what I wanted and the tig welded SS looks bitchen. Sound isnt any difference really which I dont care one way or the other.
Attachments
muffw.jpg
muffw.jpg (281.02 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Very nice!

I used a stock Corvette muffler on an old 4 cylinder Ranger to do the same thing. It was such a nice, simple system. Great flow and great sound with none of that annoying 4 banger resonating. I was super specific when I had it installed and made sure it was super easy to remove, with nice flanges and it was tucked out of harms way. I sold the truck to a kid and a week later he had a hack cut it a part and cobble in a Flowmaster. I was so bummed!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Rednek Renegade
Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco Xlt 5.8L 4V H.O. C6, NP2o8

Post by Rednek Renegade »

SteveG wrote:Very nice!

I used a stock Corvette muffler on an old 4 cylinder Ranger to do the same thing. It was such a nice, simple system. Great flow and great sound with none of that annoying 4 banger resonating. I was super specific when I had it installed and made sure it was super easy to remove, with nice flanges and it was tucked out of harms way. I sold the truck to a kid and a week later he had a hack cut it a part and cobble in a Flowmaster. I was so bummed!

Got any pics? I have a 94 danger ranger with the 2.3L and it sounds like a old VW bug with the stock exhaust sys. Avoiding putting on a muffler cause I am afraid a Magnaflow will sound like a 4cyl. with a fart can. Any tips?
Project el cheap-o