C clip eliminator d44 issues

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Post by PaulW »

Edited
Axles you want are for the vintage trucks. You would be very lucky to find any for sale outside of a junk yard.
Why are you looking for a 3rd member?
For sure you are heading for a proper TTB solution. Here is how.
Go the junk yards that have old ford trucks Broncos, F250, & F350 for models in the 1980 time frame. Dont try to figure out the year just look for the bolts on the housing beside the axle. Get the whole front TTB housing with axles, & 3rd member and you will have what you need. You probably will have to hit several yards to find what you want.
While you at the yard collect a couple of extra passenger side axles . Its a 2 piece affair and you will have to use brute force to get the thing out of the bolted axles because the bearing on the inner axle to housing is a tight fit. We get them out by improvising a slide hammer to knock them out.
I hope this clarified what has to be done. Now you know why the getto fix with a spring in the slip joint is popular. Its a crappy way to improvise and actually works sometimes.

More details about the bolted and non bolted TTB diff:
The 3rd member is different for C-clip and bolted axle designs.
The bolted designs were in 1980-1982 trucks, both D44 and D50. In 1983, both D44 and D50 went to C-clip designs which included a different 3rd member casting.

Also the axle shaft is machined different between C-clip and bolted stub axles.
Not just the end where the C-clip goes, but the surface where the seal and bearing retainer go.
PaulW
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Not sure about the 1982. A week before I bought my 81 I found an 82 and sent my cousin to go look at it. He sent me pictures of the May 82 mfg date and the c-clip third. He said the entire undercarriage looked untouched. Strange.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

It's a Ford thing. I have noticed on several things that change over dates are not really hard facts. Things tend to get changed as they run out of parts.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I think a May 82 Mfg date is an 83 model year. I may be wrong.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

BDKW1 wrote:It's a Ford thing. I have noticed on several things that change over dates are not really hard facts. Things tend to get changed as they run out of parts.
Yup - 70's into 80's is full of this. They used the parts til they ran out of them & then the newer part took over. This could be mi year or whatever. They also do all sorts of weird stuff for special orders
shawn t
Bronco Info: no bronco's but a 1980 TTB F150 and a 1999 2wd F150 soon to become mated together!

Post by shawn t »

While I have these sitting in front of me here's the Spicer part numbers for the bolt in parts if anyone is interested.

Seal 35938.
Bearing Assembly 566075.
retaining ring 36121.

and the seal for the other side of the diff is 40710.

Parts for the C clip version are

Bearing 566121.

Seal 40773.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Shawn t-- hey thank you both for the workout videos-- but even better the part numbers ... LOL!!! Seriously though, finding some of those part numbers can be tough as they are really kind of an obscure application.
shawn t
Bronco Info: no bronco's but a 1980 TTB F150 and a 1999 2wd F150 soon to become mated together!

Post by shawn t »

If I had his money I'd let someone else dig out obscure part numbers!

If you are interested in a 35 spline D50 see my post in the TTB vs. the world thread.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I have a d50 ill give away. No use for it.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Rmc wrote:I have a d50 ill give away. No use for it.
Whole thing, beams, hubs and all? If so, I know someone that will take it. Where is it?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I was thinking just the center section. If the whole thing - I'll come grab it ASAP.

Chris - he's in So. Cal. Wildomar area I believe
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Just the Center section. Saves me a trip to the recycler. I can't see a need for it, I very rarely use 4wd anyway. It's not a bolt on axel type either if they ever made such a thing in d50. And Chris I just got this thing lol you know that.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

shawn t wrote:While I have these sitting in front of me here's the Spicer part numbers for the bolt in parts if anyone is interested.

Seal 35938.
Bearing Assembly 566075.
retaining ring 36121.

and the seal for the other side of the diff is 40710.

are these numbers for dana 44 bolt in stub axle or dana 50? They dont appear the correct ones for 44.

Anybody have the dana 44 bearing, seal, retainer numbers?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com