Should I rebuild Injectors? Other engine questions.

Texas_Baja
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco, White XLT 351. Building a trail / go fast truck.

Should I rebuild Injectors? Other engine questions.

Post by Texas_Baja »

1995 351w
160,000 miles

I'm pulling the motor to take care of some small items and remove the smog pump (hacked up by the PO). The motor runs very well, any reason I should consider going through the fuel injectors, i've seen a few rebuild kits on ebay. I would rather not if it might cause some issues. Thanks.

Obviously the intake is very dirty from the EGR, any reason to clean it out?
Few vacuum lines broke, to egr, etc, rubber line ok to go back with instead of plastic vacuum line?

I'm replaceing water pump, t-stat, belts, any thing else while the motor is out?
Froggmann
Bronco Info: 93 Bronco sorta ex DD, ex Chase Truck, in retirement. Nick (Brokenbronco) knows me.

Re: Should I rebuild Injectors? Other engine questions.

Post by Froggmann »

If the injectors are working fine then I wouldn't do anything with them. Fuel regulator? Yea replace that. Mine failed at about 180K and blew out 4 injectors.

While you have the intake off, it won't hurt to do a good cleaning. Be careful of the EGR intake tube I've had them stick and break on me.

Rubber vacuum hoses are fine. but something to refer what color they were will help later on while diagnosing things.

Take a good look at your freeze plugs, a few of them are inaccessable witht he motor mounts on .
kylesgorter
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Post by kylesgorter »

Rjm has a good injector rebuild kit which will do all 8 i thinks its cheap like 20 bux. Won't be a balanced rebuild like a lot of companies do matching the injectors together. They arent balanced from the factory so prob not worth it
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

Texas_Baja wrote:1995 351w
160,000 miles

I'm pulling the motor to take care of some small items and remove the smog pump (hacked up by the PO). The motor runs very well, any reason I should consider going through the fuel injectors, i've seen a few rebuild kits on ebay. I would rather not if it might cause some issues. Thanks.

Obviously the intake is very dirty from the EGR, any reason to clean it out?
Few vacuum lines broke, to egr, etc, rubber line ok to go back with instead of plastic vacuum line?

I'm replaceing water pump, t-stat, belts, any thing else while the motor is out?
Your Smog Pump is probably jacked due to missing or aged Vacuum Lines. Replace all of them with Silicone. Confidence test the TAD/TAB/Check Valves and relays.

Clean the Intake Manifold, Throttle Body and IAC and consider if port matching Intake, gasket and head is in order.

And rebuild the Fuel Injectors while you are in there. Simple to do with the RJM Injection Technologies kit.

Fuel pressure should be between 36 and 43.5 psi.

Have I got the polished HV water pump for you. March Performance Chrome HV Water Pump (PN P160).

All water pump, t-stat should be grade 8 ARP bolts and go with ARP Studs on the valve covers using Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus Valve Cover Gaskets.

Either that, or just put it all back together and hope for the best... :shock:
1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster