12 point header bolt??

RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

12 point header bolt??

Post by RyanDS650X »

Any reason why there would be only 1 like this? All the others are like the one on the right. I have to replace the header gasket on this side, just wondering if anyone else has ran into this and the best way to approach it. Clearance is to tight to get a socket on it... the others hav an allen in th middle ot them making it much easier. Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1350338807921.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1350338807921.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Re: 12 point header bolt??

Post by Phoenix0783 »

Is it a smaller socket size?

Arp makes some header bolts with a 1/4" or 5/16" head size with a full size flange that are spendy but worth it.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

No same size but due to the bend in the pipe i cant get a socket on it... it just seems strange for it to be th only one. I dont have a 12 point wrench either, yet haha.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

The one on the right looks like a Stage 8 brand locking bolt but missing the lock plate and e-clips. probably lost one and didnt want to buy a whole set.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

12 point box wrench should get it done, no?
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Yep i do see why not. Just thought it was odd that it was the only one. I think MOSS hit the nail on the head. I picked up some new header bolts so ill swap that oddball out when my gaskets get here.

-shockseals.com
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

:D That's something I would do to a buddy who buys a truck from me.....
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Haha im going to foreward this thread to to him right now :!:

-shockseals.com
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Shitcan the header bolts and get allens. Those + an extended ball drive allen socket will make your life sooooooooo much easier.......

Remember, get it good and warm then retorque.......
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Top tip. on some of those really tight ones, you have to put the bolt in the hole before you start bolting the header up........
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Thanks for the tips. The new bolts are hex and also have the allen in the middle so do the the ones on the headers currently. Other than anti seize on the bolts (i have aluminum heads) is there anything else i should know?? Thanks for the help guys.

-shockseals.com
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

I would highly recommend Remflex Exhaust Gaskets. No need to tighten header bolts. And I like my ARP 12 point bolts.

Last edited by Seattle FSB on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I've never had problems with standard gaskets and Stage 8 bolts. I've put a lot of miles on my truck with this setup and about 50K on a hotrod I used to have.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Seattle, the bends off your flange start much further away than mine so i could see how 12 points wouldnt be an issue for you. As for header gaskets i ordered edelbrocks since the headers and head are both edelbrock.

-shockseals.com
kylesgorter
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Post by kylesgorter »

I am a fan of the perched brand locking header bolts. They cost the same for a set as the stage 8 units which are also nice. The perchance are 12 points with an Allen set screw that spreads the end of the bolt as you tighten. I have used them with great success on several projects $65 per set.

I will also vote for remflex gaskets for the exhaust. There isn't a better sealing exhaust gasket out there. Torque, set screw to 20 ft lbs, and forget about it till your motor goes
David Kennedy

Post by David Kennedy »

When I originally put all that together, the Stage 8 bolt wouldn't fit in that one spot. And none of the Stage 8 hardware fit--besides the bolts. The one 12-point bolt allowed me to tighten it up without flipping the wrench every turn.

As an aside, I've always had problems with Ford small block manifold bolts breaking, and the Stage 8 bolts seemed like the best fastener option at the time.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

David Kennedy wrote:When I originally put all that together, the Stage 8 bolt wouldn't fit in that one spot. And none of the Stage 8 hardware fit--besides the bolts. The one 12-point bolt allowed me to tighten it up without flipping the wrench every turn.

As an aside, I've always had problems with Ford small block manifold bolts breaking, and the Stage 8 bolts seemed like the best fastener option at the time.
After i got the header off i could see why you might have used another bolt, the stage 8's were about a 1/4" longer than that 12point and made it much easier to remove especially due to the bend in that particular area of that header tube. I used a bolt of the same length as that 12 point to replace it and im glad i did, a longer bolt would have been a real pain in the ass to reinstall. Im just glad to have a little power back and no more lawn mower tick!

-shockseals.com
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

On my 72/5.0 the bolts are a mix because the Duff headers that the PO installed have terrible tube to bolt clearance. I should get some of the ones pictured above (assuming they are 12 point?). Now I have regular hex in places that fit my socket and allen/hex in the tight places. I still have to use an open end wrench on the close fit ones.
I am getting skilled are R&R the headers cuz everytime I look under the thing the darn right side has to come off. Going to have to do it again becaues the tranny dip stick tube is not seated. Sigh
Another header brand would be in order to fix all the hassle.
PW
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

PaulW wrote:Another header brand would be in order to fix all the hassle.
PW
Sigh, another lesson learned... :(
1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster