Best 9inch year to buy for my bronco

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: Best 9inch year to buy for my bronco

Post by AussieRod »

kylesgorter wrote:True that! I think ill run my 8.8 till its good and dead and then I think ill take a page outa yikes book and swap to 10.25 floater. Not convinced on 9in and I doubt ill have the mass $$ for a built 9
Yikes' Sterling isnt a floater. ;)
kylesgorter
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Post by kylesgorter »

Damn that sucks.... Mine will be! Haha what kind of axle retention does his have. I thought all sterlings were floaters guess I got incorrect info on some of this stuff
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

kylesgorter wrote:Damn that sucks.... Mine will be! Haha what kind of axle retention does his have. I thought all sterlings were floaters guess I got incorrect info on some of this stuff
His is a hybrid. It's a 10.25 center, with 9" outers.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Sterlings and Ford use the same spline pressure angle.

I'm actually replacing my builtish 9" with a Sterling center. Going with 5 lug Dana 60 full floater outers which use a different pressure angle.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
kylesgorter
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Post by kylesgorter »

Does that mean custom length tubes, d60 spindles and prob disc brakes? That would be awesome on big bertha
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Thats for the Bronco. The crew does fine with a stock Sterling.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Has anyone bent an econoline housing? If so, where?
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

dtbback wrote:Has anyone bent an econoline housing? If so, where?
They can all be bent or broken, it just depends on how hard you want to beat it. It usually happens in the tube where it is welded into the banjo center section, even though it is fish mouthed in there.

We have bent and cracked two aftermarket Speedway Engineering housings, both had 0.250" tubes, one was DOM tubing, and the other was 4130. The first cracked at the weld as described above, so the second had wider trussing. The crack occurred at the end of the trussing on the second one. The second one had more than 1/2" of toe in bend at the tire before it was replaced. Have not had any trouble with the early Ruffstuff housing with 0.3750 tubes and only their formed truss across the back in more than 5 seasons. We also gained a full two inches of clearance to the ground at the center of the axle.
fomoco51
Bronco Info: 1992 bronco project

Post by fomoco51 »

I've found alot of 31 spline econoline 9" rears. I heard that the newer econolines with a 10.25 are wide as well, but can't find any info on em.
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: None Anymore!

Post by S00TLYFE »

kylesgorter wrote:True that! I think ill run my 8.8 till its good and dead and then I think ill take a page outa yikes book and swap to 10.25 floater. Not convinced on 9in and I doubt ill have the mass $$ for a built 9
i pulled an f150 9" in the boneyard and stashed it, after doing research i realized i probably would have been better off with an aftermarket housing though. Couple buddies have had good luck with factory 9s with a tabzone truss, and have even run stock housings, they beat on the trucks hard, but they are behind 4.0 and 3.0 ranger motors running 35s.
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)