Ignition petering out: 94 xlt with 5.8l

lugobean
Bronco Info: stocker 94 xlt with 351w and e40d. nothin special... yet!

Post by lugobean »

Ok so I haven't been on in awhile, and of course what brings me back is bad luck.... Here's the deal, me and some friends drove out to glen Helen yesterday for the loorrs race (I saw a few fellow broncos in the parking lot) only thing was, I didn't even make it to the parking lot! The ignition was crapping out and it wouldn't run, idle, drive, anything!

Now I've heard the stories about the old ford ignition boxes going out, but my dad said he didn't see what he thought it should be under the hood. And I made it within 3 miles of the track in 95 degree heat after driving 100 miles at 70. Did the module get hot and not like it? Once it cooled down after the race I drove it home without a hiccup.

Help? I'm lost.
Chris Lugo
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Re: Ignition petering out: 94 xlt with 5.8l

Post by Seabass »

I had a intermittent miss and stall issue on my 96 that was the pip sensor in the distributor. I read that when they're failing they don't like heat. Maybe look into that.

If your ignition module isn't on the distributor look on the corner where the firewall and driver's fender meet.thats where mine is.make sure it has a good ground.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Sounds more like vapor lock?
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

How did you diagnose it as an ignition issue?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
lugobean

Post by lugobean »

I figure it's ignition because it developed a gnarly mis and just died on me.

At first I thought fuel issue but I can hear the pump and it's running totally fine now. And it was fine all the way home doing between 65 and 70 with the heat of the day behind us.
Chris Lugo
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

lugobean wrote:At first I thought fuel issue but I can hear the pump and it's running totally fine now. And it was fine all the way home doing between 65 and 70 with the heat of the day behind us.
Next time it happens check your fuel pressure. The fuel system is more sensitive to heat. Just because you can hear the pump does not mean it's operating correctly.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
lugobean

Post by lugobean »

philofab wrote:
lugobean wrote:At first I thought fuel issue but I can hear the pump and it's running totally fine now. And it was fine all the way home doing between 65 and 70 with the heat of the day behind us.
Next time it happens check your fuel pressure. The fuel system is more sensitive to heat. Just because you can hear the pump does not mean it's operating correctly.

Ya very true. I didn't have a gauge on me but I popped the shrader and there was all fuel coming out. No air and it popped when I hit it. So I think it was ok.
Chris Lugo