Shift Improver kits

Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Shift Improver kits

Post by Dezertbronco »

I need to change the Pan Gasket and Filter on my trans, I can buy the B&M shift improver kit for the same price as the Filter and Gasket, I would like to firm up the shift but dont need anything crazy. I had a transgo kit in my 95 lightning and it was great.

Anyone have any input...

mind you I put 1200 miles a year on this vehicle.

Powerplant is stock.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: Shift Improver kits

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Spend the 180 bucks and get a punisher valve body if you have the e4od. The ball and spring "improver" kit really isn't that great. The valve body works WAY better.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Tell us which transmission you have so we can make a recommendation.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Post by Dezertbronco »

Its an E40D
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

I liked the Transgo as well Matt. It felt better than my $3500 Mogi trans. Haha!
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

X2 on the Punisher Valve Body. I have one and love it, install is a simple bolt in job.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

RyanDS650X wrote:X2 on the Punisher Valve Body. I have one and love it, install is a simple bolt in job.

Did you do the install Ryan? I have one sitting here in the garage, just need to make time to throw her in.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

I sure did, its easy. Just drop the pan and youll be staring right at the VB there are a few 10mm bolts and a maybe 8 or 10 screws to take out and she comes right off, install in reverse order. Be prepared for another gush of ATF when the VB is ready to come off.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Any suggestions for those of us who run the C6?
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Augi, I've had good success with the B&M Improver kit, bit I now intsall Transgo kits and love them. Simple, great intsructions and most of the time their kit addresses the transmissions inherent faults. Never even had any probs with Transgo. :mrgreen:
Drilim
Bronco Info: 94

Post by Drilim »

Another vote for Punisher.
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

Ya, i'd like to hear any options for the c-6 as well if anyone has done it. I've gotta replace the gasket and maybe a new pan, if its that easy of an install I'd like to do it while i'm down there.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

C-6 Reverse manual valve body and R code servo kit for starters. Not worth trying to make auto shift valve body work for racing I think.
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

Moss- Can I drop that servo and the valve body in without pulling the tranny? Thanks
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

Yes should be able to install both in the car. Straightaxle might chime in as he knows them in much more detail. You probably will want to check the pressures after install. I recall we had to do some spring swapping or shimming to get the correct pressures. Some kits dont have engine braking in first (born from drag car accidents) so make sure you get which one you want. Shift pattern goes from RN321 to RN123.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Does anyone do a manual valve body for the E4OD?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

I checked on Summit's web site and it doesn't look like it, just c-4 c-6 and AOD

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make ... valve+body
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

78Class3 wrote:Moss- Can I drop that servo and the valve body in without pulling the tranny? Thanks
C6 valve body and servo can be done without pulling the trans. Some of the servo kits require tapping and plugging a hole in the case, which means you have to be very careful cleaning out the chips. The TCI manual valve body will free wheel in first. Had another VB of unknown origin that had the circuit for engine braking in first, but it did some weird stuff when we tried it, so we pulled it back out and put the TCI version back in. Just learned to drive it like it was. Use low range and second gear for going down the back side of the Summit. Line pressure should be around 195 psi with the manual vb.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

SteveG wrote:Does anyone do a manual valve body for the E4OD?
I am sure it has been done somewhere! It would require a completely different valve body that would have to be custom machined, but somebody has probably done it. Rotating components are shared with the C6, but the valve body and mounting is totally different. Don't they make a "box" that would operate the trans manually via the solenoids? Even the Ashley/Smith truck used an electrically operated trans when they were doing development work for this trans in the Duralast single seat truck. It had a paddle shifter on the steering wheel and it was set up to use the OD in every other gear so it turned it into a 6 speed. Drivers were instructed to drive it until they broke it.........

Yesterday watched two technicians working on a CAT forklift, with the laptop plugged in trying (unsuccessfully) to figure out the electrical controls in the field. Can't imagine being afraid of an electronic trans!
poolman
Bronco Info: 84 Bronco,Body off reconstruction. Auto Fab suspension,mix of 84-96 parts.

Post by poolman »

We been working on a C-6 with this set up and won't down shift to 2nd any ideas? pm
84 Bronco 351W,C-6,9 Inch,Work in process
83 Bronco 302,C-6,8.8, beater for parts
94 Bronco roller for parts
91 F150 4x4for parts
96 Bronco for parts
84 Bronco for 351W