Stock Pitman Arm

PELLEY
Bronco Info: 1990 5.8L, auto, roll-a-long.

Stock Pitman Arm

Post by PELLEY »

DMbronco wrote:I have recently pulled my 4" Rancho lift off my '96, and gone the cut and turned route.

I currently have a 4" drop pitman arm, and am wondering if you guys recommend I use it,
or go back to a stock pitman?

I've read/heard different things about this, input much appreciated.
Why not leave it? Still gunna be lifted. If you really wanna change it out, I'll trade you for my stock one!
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Re: Stock Pitman Arm

Post by DMbronco »

Hey Pelley,

Thanks for your quick response.

I was under the assumption I HAD to swap my drop pitman for the stock one?

Let me know, and if I am 'supposed' to switch them out, I would be more than happy to trade you.

Thanks
DMbronco

Drop Pitman Arm with C&T?

Post by DMbronco »

I have recently pulled my 4" Rancho lift off my '96, and gone the cut and turned route.

I currently have a 4" drop pitman arm, and am wondering if you guys recommend I use it,
or go back to a stock pitman?

I've read/heard different things about this, input much appreciated.
PELLEY
Bronco Info: 1990 5.8L, auto, roll-a-long.

Post by PELLEY »

No prob. Don't take it as gospel just yet, I am in no way the expert on this stuff, but in reading tech write ups on the different options for steering, a lot of people run them. Really if you think about it, the steering isn't related to the drop down, but is related to the amount of lift... Others please chime in!!
damon1272

Re: Drop Pitman Arm with C&T?

Post by damon1272 »

You should be fine with the stock arm. Most builds do not use a drop pitman arm for a 4" lift.
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Damon,

Thanks for your help.

I have a drop pitman on it at the moment, put it on when I did the first lift (rancho with drop brackets).

Now, I am going to a c&t setup with a deaver coil (5.5").

I was under the impression (from a search here) I would need to go back to the stock pitman arm once I did the cut and turn.

I no longer have my stock pitman, and was looking to source one, when I was informed that I may
be able to use the dropped pitman I already have on the truck.

Could it hurt or help me to stay with the drop?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

One of the benefits of using "cut and turn" housings Is you can keep the stock steering geometry. You want to keep your steering on the same plane as the beam and radius arm pivot. I've always used stock steering and have had good results.

That said, I've heard of people using dropped pitman arms without issues. I mostly see it on widened front ends because stock steering geometry can't handle the added wheel travel. In my opinion, though, that's a bad patch. I think in those cases the steering needs to be upgraded or travel needs to be limited.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

DM,
I would look for a stock pitman arm but I would not worry about running the drop one until you can source one. Since you are in SD try ORW or 4Wheel parts as they may have one laying around. They do plenty of lift kits and remove those parts all the time. If not then try John at Autofab. I am sure he has one.
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

I have a drop bracket lift on my Bronco with a stock pitman arm.....and need a drop pitman arm.....just sayin'!!
@cwriz
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Pitman arms HAVE to match your pivots to have a chance at a drivable amount of bump steer.

Stock pitman arm = stock pivots = c+t beams.

2" pivots = 2" pitman

4" pivots = 4" pitman

Got it? Steering is directly related to where your beam pivots are.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

...probably why my Bronco drives crazy!! Down the road is fine, but as soon as its in dirt....
@cwriz