Tranny Pan replacement and service

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Tranny Pan replacement and service

Post by tcm glx »

So, Andy sent me a link to a B&M Tranny Pan slightly used for sale cheap, and I scooped it up.

I have never serviced a tranny, so I was wondering, how hard to install the pan, and do the fluid/filter change, etc etc

I have a 93 with the e4od, and here is a link to the tranny pan:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... J_3O6ksg1g
Last edited by tcm glx on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billy1911

Re: Tanny Pan replacement and service

Post by billy1911 »

Lots of rags and maybe think about adding a remote filter. So you dont need to drop the pan to service it. since you will have a drain plug.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

tcm glx wrote:So, Andy sent me a link to a B&M Tranny Pan slightly used for sale cheap, and I scooped it up.

I have never serviced a tranny, so I was wondering, how hard to install the pan, and do the fluid/filter change, etc etc
============
My 06 e40d Dropped the pan - made a mess. put in bungs for a gauge and temp switch.
My 72 AOD dropped the pan - made a mess. put in a B&M drain plug.
If your tranny has a rubber plug on the bottom of the bell housing that is where you will find the drain for the torque converter.
Without any instructions I dropped the stock pan, replaced the filter, installed the bungs. Drained the TC. Disconnected the cooler lines and used low press shop air (10 psi max) to blow out the fluid in the lines and cooler. Put it all back together with a no sealant rubber gasket from NAPA and filled the thing up with full synthetiuc ATF. I used Amsoil ATF but there are other good brands.
PW
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Tony, talk to Rich. He swears by Sweptco fluid and helped Dave do his XJ before he moved.

Also, as Paul mentioned, now might be a good time to have some bumgs welded in (before it's on the truck) and think about trans temp gauge and stuff.

If you drop the pan AND can drain the TC with a plug it's easy. If not, here is a link to how he did it (on a Jeep).

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=988174
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
PaulW

Re: Tranny Pan replacement and service

Post by PaulW »

I should have mentioned that the temp gauge location is controversial. The fluid coming out of the TC going to the cooler is always (much?) hotter than the pan temp. Easy to add a tee in that line for the sender. Fittings are a pain to find.
Another option for the E4OD is the pressure test port on the side on the tranny. Quite a few guys put the temp sender there. That temp probably is closer to the pan than the line out?
PW
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

I guess this is where/why it gets controversial, BUT, isn't the fluid in the pan the fluid getting picked up and sent through the trans? If so, wouldn't that be the temp that matters? Who cares of the fluid coming out of trans is 1000°F (exaggeration) if that temp won't make it to trans?
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Silverslk wrote:I guess this is where/why it gets controversial, BUT, isn't the fluid in the pan the fluid getting picked up and sent through the trans? If so, wouldn't that be the temp that matters? Who cares of the fluid coming out of trans is 1000°F (exaggeration) if that temp won't make it to trans?
========
Exactly why my sensor is in the pan.
The arguement is that one needs to know how high the temp really gets so one can worry about exceeding fluid temp or where the fluid goes after the TC heats it. If the hot fluid really sees important seals then I guess it would be important to look at that high temp.
Where are the tranny guys to answer the question?
PW
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Tranny guys..... comments??

Also, while we are at it, what tranny fluid do most of you use?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Silverslk wrote:I guess this is where/why it gets controversial, BUT, isn't the fluid in the pan the fluid getting picked up and sent through the trans? If so, wouldn't that be the temp that matters? Who cares of the fluid coming out of trans is 1000°F (exaggeration) if that temp won't make it to trans?
It doesn't matter if it won't make it to the trans, it's already been there! Even if it's not causing damage to the transmission, if the fluid is overheating then it's breaking down and won't be protecting the transmission as it goes back in. Then the cycle continues and the fluid gets worse with every pass.

I would put the sender where it would read the hottest point possible. Of course, this just might not be possible in some cases, so you might have to put it where you can and keep in mind that your transmission may be hotter than the gauge is showing.

P.S. A friend of mine has the sender in the side of the pan. His exhaust passes on the same side and when he's on the gas, the exhaust pipe heats the trans temp sender and gives him a false reading... something to keep in mind.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

SteveG wrote:
It doesn't matter if it won't make it to the trans, it's already been there! Even if it's not causing damage to the transmission, if the fluid is overheating then it's breaking down and won't be protecting the transmission as it goes back in. Then the cycle continues and the fluid gets worse with every pass.

I would put the sender where it would read the hottest point possible. Of course, this just might not be possible in some cases, so you might have to put it where you can and keep in mind that your transmission may be hotter than the gauge is showing.

P.S. A friend of mine has the sender in the side of the pan. His exhaust passes on the same side and when he's on the gas, the exhaust pipe heats the trans temp sender and gives him a false reading... something to keep in mind.
===========
Agree with all of your comments, Plus Use the highest temp ATF possible, regardless.
Why I use the pan sender:
Location of the sender has to be tempered with your exhaust setup. With the stock single exhaust - Y pipe the drivers side of the pan does not see the pipe and the tranny cooler lines are just inches away from the pipe. For duals inside the frame then both sides of the tranny are hot from exhaust. Not good for a temp sender. For duals outside the frame all is good and choose which ever.

When moving slow in low low in a deep sand wash at full throttle the heat from the exhaust is huge enough to melt wire as far away as 6-8". No air flow = high temps. No way I would ever put a temp sender on the side where the pipe goes.
PW
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Awesome info!! Man I love all this info!! Thanks guys, and keep it coming.

Paul, 10-4 on the tranny fluid. I asked a friend of mine that runs San Juan Capo Ford Service and he says Motorcraft synthetic is great!!
Drilim
Bronco Info: 94

Post by Drilim »

I ordered a autometer temperature sensor block. Currently, It goes from the pan to the temp block, external filter, cooler and to then to the stock return line.

On the hottest of days here, Over 100 degrees, I have never seen the temperature run above 195 and that is immediately after the pan.