Front Locker/ limited slip options

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Front Locker/ limited slip options

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

So I got to thinking. What should I be running up front? I know I don't use 4wd that much but when I do I have to depend on it and the posi is starting to click alot. I've seen a few choices, Aussie Locker (Lunchbox type), a spool, a detroit and if you want to get pricey an eaton or an arb.

The way I see it a spool is cheap and dependable, but I've heard you have a hard time trying to turn. The posi although good does wear out. Cheap as well. The Aussie Locker is 250 and seems like a good setup but have never really heard any imput. To be honest, I really don't have the money for an air or electric locker.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Front Locker/ limited slip options

Post by philofab »

I've always had an open front diff but I'm going to try a Spartan locker. I ordered it from Giant Motorsports the other day. It inserts into the factory open carrier, so installation is a snap. I'll let you know how it works.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
hobbyturnedobsession

Please do! Can I ask you what they run?
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

philofab wrote:I've always had an open front diff but I'm going to try a Spartan locker. I ordered it from Giant Motorsports the other day. It inserts into the factory open carrier, so installation is a snap. I'll let you know how it works.
looks pretty nice and economical. what spline is a bronco d44 front? Is it HD?

Does it activate with hubs locked but in 2wd creating issues in 2wd?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
hobbyturnedobsession

Can someone post the link I can't seem to find it.

EDIT*** Got it same design as the Aussie Locker.
gunit

Post by gunit »

shockseals.com wrote:Does it activate with hubs locked but in 2wd creating issues in 2wd?
I have a Detroit in mine and it has that issue, you can feel it and it affects the steering in 2wd if the hubs are locked. When I get time and some cash I am switching to a selectable locker of some kind for the front.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

http://www.ringpinion.com/SpartanLocker.aspx

Not sure if I'll feel it in the front. We'll see.
hobbyturnedobsession

Only one problem.... It said for use with tires under 32"....
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Only one problem.... It said for use with tires under 32"....
I saw that. Don't really care.
hobbyturnedobsession

Ok. I guess it isn't a big deal if its in the front.
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

arb or eaton e locker
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

What? No love for the tru-trac in the front?
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

damon1272 wrote:What? No love for the tru-trac in the front?
Had one in the front of a Toyota, loved it. The old barge had a factory limited slip in it. Liked that as well. Open diff in Barge 2 sucked for climbing.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

I have a power lok up front, that was put in under the advice of unitrax when I reageared. If the hubs are locked on the street you can feel it but otherwise its been great. The tru-trac I have also heard good things about as well. FWIW if your not getting into rocks etc a good limited slip like those mentioned is a great combo with the detroit in the rear.
Jeremy
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Polarcub wrote:I have a power lok up front, that was put in under the advice of unitrax when I reageared. If the hubs are locked on the street you can feel it but otherwise its been great. The tru-trac I have also heard good things about as well. FWIW if your not getting into rocks etc a good limited slip like those mentioned is a great combo with the detroit in the rear.
Agreed. :D The Tru Trac in front /Detroit Locker in rear is a great combo. The Aussie lokka is just a copy of the original Lock Right. I wouldnt use one of these in the front. I have found in the front with a Lock Right style of locker driving in 2WD with hubs locked, the weight of the front driveshaft being accellerated and decellerated makes the Lokka react strangely and cause steering feedback. Try it and see the difference.
magic carpet XLT

Post by magic carpet XLT »

i have to say, front lockers are not the best for going fast in my experience. you will notice some interesting handling characteristics when going on/off the gas while turning. in 4wd you will probably notice a lot of "snowplowing" or "understeer" for you top gear types. if you use your 4wd in the snow/ice forget it.. don't even consider a welded diff/spool, i had a couple friends who ran them for a short time and they were blowing axle u joints once or twice per trip, and this wasn't even rock crawling, just good ole fashion trail wheelin. too much bind and all the stress causes everything to wear very quickly.

if you can afford it: selectable locker
if you can't: power lock/true trac
if you just want traction: lock rite/spartan can't be beat, plus they are easily removable if its not for you

front locker still ranks as one of my top 5 best mods. its just an acquired taste.
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Just something to think about, running a true locker up front will lead to some problems down the line... especially if you have a locked rear end. With a true locker on rear and front, you will blow u-joints and possibly twist/break axle shafts. If you are in a situation where you're binding there's no torque relief in the system which is especially exacerbated by large tires... which results in damage. The driveline needs some torque outlet, a way to keep from binding the driveline up. I run a detroit in the rear and a trutrac in the front and have plenty of traction but if I get into a situation where I get the driveline bound up, the front diff will slip a little to avoid breaking parts.

When you're running in 2WD with the hubs unlocked and the transfer case in 2WD, you'll not experience any handling issues because none of the front driveline is moving therefore the traction device in the front diff will not influence the handling characteristics of your Bronco.

Of course a lot of how you setup your driveline depends on how you want to use it... and of course, going fast in the dirt is your thing, you won't really need to have both axles locked. Just my 2¢.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

BajaF250 wrote: Of course a lot of how you setup your driveline depends on how you want to use it... and of course, going fast in the dirt is your thing, you won't really need to have both axles locked. Just my 2¢.

I like this thought... I keep telling myself (even when I had my jeep) if I need the front locked, I am probably in a pretty bad situation, hopefully a tow rope would get me out of it!
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

BajaF250 wrote:Just something to think about, running a true locker up front will lead to some problems down the line... especially if you have a locked rear end. With a true locker on rear and front, you will blow u-joints and possibly twist/break axle shafts. If you are in a situation where you're binding there's no torque relief in the system which is especially exacerbated by large tires... which results in damage. The driveline needs some torque outlet, a way to keep from binding the driveline up. I run a detroit in the rear and a trutrac in the front and have plenty of traction but if I get into a situation where I get the driveline bound up, the front diff will slip a little to avoid breaking parts.

When you're running in 2WD with the hubs unlocked and the transfer case in 2WD, you'll not experience any handling issues because none of the front driveline is moving therefore the traction device in the front diff will not influence the handling characteristics of your Bronco.

Of course a lot of how you setup your driveline depends on how you want to use it... and of course, going fast in the dirt is your thing, you won't really need to have both axles locked. Just my 2¢.

If im in mexico prerunning or anywhere sandy i lock my hubs as soon as I hit the dirt and leave them locked until its time to come home. The locker would be an issue.

I hit up my gear guy who I buy everything gear/diff related from and he said not to bother with the locker in question.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

shockseals.com wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:Just something to think about, running a true locker up front will lead to some problems down the line... especially if you have a locked rear end. With a true locker on rear and front, you will blow u-joints and possibly twist/break axle shafts. If you are in a situation where you're binding there's no torque relief in the system which is especially exacerbated by large tires... which results in damage. The driveline needs some torque outlet, a way to keep from binding the driveline up. I run a detroit in the rear and a trutrac in the front and have plenty of traction but if I get into a situation where I get the driveline bound up, the front diff will slip a little to avoid breaking parts.

If im in mexico prerunning or anywhere sandy i lock my hubs as soon as I hit the dirt and leave them locked until its time to come home. The locker would be an issue.

I hit up my gear guy who I buy everything gear/diff related from and he said not to bother with the locker in question.
Hey Kris,
I so infrequenly need 4wd, I do not lock my hubs at all. The only time I'll lock up is if/when I anticipate the need or actually need it... (most of the time, I'm pulling someone else out!).