Custom Stainless Steel Y-Pipe for Mass-Air - Any Interest?

sydude
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers

Custom Stainless Steel Y-Pipe for Mass-Air - Any Interest?

Post by sydude »

Without any success, I've been looking for a better off-the-shelf alternative for the undersized plastic 'Y' pipe that everyone seems to be using to connect our single mass-air meters to our twin-blade throttle bodies, as I believe that the current 'Y' pipe must be restrictive - it's just waaay smaller in diameter than my 80mm mass-air meter or my twin 56mm throttle body.

So I drew up a sketch of what I needed and sent it to 4 of the bigger custom stainless exhaust/header component makers, asking for quotes. The lowest price I received back was $95 for one unit, which I'm taking them up on even if no one else wants one, but I've also asked what kind of volume discount we could get.

If you have any interest in buying a unit at $95 (potentially less), please reply here. I'm also posting this on FSB, so maybe there will be decent interest.

Here's the draft sketch and the comments I submitted for the quote - this is not final and can be tweaked, so give comments if I can make any improvements:
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-03-01 at 3.20.41 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-01 at 3.20.41 PM.png (85.99 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
Last edited by sydude on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sydude
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers

Re: Custom Stainless Steel Y-Pipe for Mass-Air - Any Interest?

Post by sydude »

The image above seems like it was too big, so here's a smaller version.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-03-01 2.png
Screen shot 2011-03-01 2.png (81.9 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

I'm looking to make or get one made that has a 90mm MAF side and 61mm TB side with 15/16" gap
Last edited by monkei on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sydude

Post by sydude »

The same guy could do both I guess. What do you think about the pricing?

Also, I'm assuming you have a BBK twin-61mm throttle body - I have the twin-56mm BBK and took a rough guess with the .5" spacing between the tubes. So your number of 1" is probably the right one for my throttle body as well.
monkei

Post by monkei »

Seems like a fair price for a custom fabbed stainless TIG welded piece, I'd be willing to pay it.

I'm whipping up a model/drawing of what I'm hoping for...
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

I would be interested in having one made.
sydude

Post by sydude »

He came back with quantity order pricing of $84 for 5 units and $79 for 10. All pricing so far is un-negotiated. If you want to know who the vendor is, PM me, I don't want to post it publicly.
monkei

Post by monkei »

Drawing based on measuring my 61mm BBK with calpers.
Attachments
solid model also available
solid model also available
ypipe.JPG (216.8 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
yogib

Post by yogib »

Dont know where youre at on these but Im for sure interested.I have the 61mm x 2 BBK as well .And have a Paxton supercharger going on so this would help flow.
monkei

Post by monkei »

Yogib, what size MAF are you using?

Sydude, I'd definitely be interested in ordering something similar to the drawing I attached above!
yogib

Post by yogib »

I will be running the 80mm Mustang Cobra MAF. 3 1/2" od. I found this. http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_ ... 5c08c4dd6a a 180degree aluminum mandrel. You can slash cut them to look like turn downs and then weld together for the Y. Then cope a 3 1/2" straight piece to butt into them and mark and cut the hole in the end. Then weld that together. Im going to look into that.
monkei

Post by monkei »

Sweet!!
sydude

Post by sydude »

yogib wrote:I will be running the 80mm Mustang Cobra MAF. 3 1/2" od. I found this. http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_ ... 5c08c4dd6a a 180degree aluminum mandrel. You can slash cut them to look like turn downs and then weld together for the Y. Then cope a 3 1/2" straight piece to butt into them and mark and cut the hole in the end. Then weld that together. Im going to look into that.
Rob, that could work well. Are you planning on fabbing this up yourself or are you going to have someone else do it? If you do it yourself, are you willing to make units for us as well?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Hey guys - I didn't spend more than 15 seconds looking at this - so I'm sure the dims probably aren't right, but here's another place to look for parts...

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/co ... d92222752f

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/?g ... gwodi22RAg
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
monkei

Post by monkei »

Yeah, I may just take this one http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/co ... -1491.html and have the 3" out flared to suit, but it kinda depends on whether or not the dual tube spacing is good for the TB.

Another place to look for these type of stainless 2-1 merge collectors is Burns Stainless LLC
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Burns stainless is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ though. They are (or were maybe??) right around the corner from my shop and I only use them as a VERY last resort. WAY too expensive!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
sydude

Post by sydude »

monkei wrote:Yeah, I may just take this one http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/co ... -1491.html and have the 3" out flared to suit, but it kinda depends on whether or not the dual tube spacing is good for the TB.
I called them, and he said that while these units are made using in-stock parts, they are actually custom made for each order. So in fact, they will make the spacing between the two tubes to our spec. Also, you'll notice that the 3" single outlet side has no flange to clamp the hose on, but they will weld on a beaded section of straight pipe onto that end for another $20 or so. But that puts you right back into the $95 price I got from the other vendor.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

sydude wrote:Without any success, I've been looking for a better off-the-shelf alternative for the undersized plastic 'Y' pipe that everyone seems to be using to connect our single mass-air meters to our twin-blade throttle bodies, as I believe that the current 'Y' pipe must be restrictive - it's just waaay smaller in diameter than my 80mm mass-air meter or my twin 56mm throttle body.
2, 56 mm tubes feeding 1, 80 mm tube is restrictive is portmatched within 2%. Did I misunderstand?

2x56mm bores = 4926mm^2
1x80mm bore = 5026mm^2
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
sydude

Post by sydude »

shockseals.com wrote:
sydude wrote:Without any success, I've been looking for a better off-the-shelf alternative for the undersized plastic 'Y' pipe that everyone seems to be using to connect our single mass-air meters to our twin-blade throttle bodies, as I believe that the current 'Y' pipe must be restrictive - it's just waaay smaller in diameter than my 80mm mass-air meter or my twin 56mm throttle body.
2, 56 mm tubes feeding 1, 80 mm tube is restrictive is portmatched within 2%. Did I misunderstand?

2x56mm bores = 4926mm^2
1x80mm bore = 5026mm^2
Yes, that's not what I meant. I'm talking about the bore size differences between the stock plastic wye pipe and the much larger bore sizes of the throttle bodies and mass-air meters. I don't have one at hand to measure, but eyeballing it it looks like it's got a 50mm opening on the single inlet side coming from the mass-air meter.
monkei

Post by monkei »

sydude wrote:I called them, and he said that while these units are made using in-stock parts, they are actually custom made for each order. So in fact, they will make the spacing between the two tubes to our spec. Also, you'll notice that the 3" single outlet side has no flange to clamp the hose on, but they will weld on a beaded section of straight pipe onto that end for another $20 or so. But that puts you right back into the $95 price I got from the other vendor.
Yeah, sounds about right. I'll be keepin' an eye on this thread. I definitely need to find something better than the crappy factory plastic Y.