Custom Stainless Steel Y-Pipe for Mass-Air - Any Interest?

yogib

Re: Custom Stainless Steel Y-Pipe for Mass-Air - Any Interest?

Post by yogib »

Im curious why your so set on stainless SY? Aluminum has a better heat disipation factor and is plenty strong for a non stressed intake piece.I ordered the aluminum 2 1/4" 180 degree bent mandrel .And a 3" with a 45 degree bend.I will save the 45 degree part of it for if I need it later, and just use the straight part for the transfer from 2 to 1. I will keep you posted and get a pic asap.
sydude
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers

Post by sydude »

I wish I had a decent excuse, but the truth is that I didn't even think of aluminum... So, aluminum is fine for me.
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

Can't wait to see some pics! :)
yogib

Post by yogib »

Got the aluminum pipes from www.siliconeintakes.com today from Fed-ex. Now time to start fabbing.The pipes look nice and of good quality.
monkei

Post by monkei »

Any progress on yours Yogib?
yogib

Post by yogib »

No havent done a thing yet.My motivation lately has been horrible.Be glad you live in Cali. This rainy weather for the last 2 months straight sucks it right out of ya.Sometimes I hate Oregon.Ive been seriously looking at the FAST Ez-Efi setup, and thinking I may bag Mass Air all together.A friend is putting it on his race bronco right now, and im going to see what he thinks of it.
sydude
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers

Post by sydude »

I finally got my truck back from the buddy's body shop after six months (who didn't do anything at all, other than get overspray on it..) and have started to do the next round of upgrades, which includes getting the custom Y-Pipe.

So it's ordered and on it's way. I paid $95 for it in stainless steel, with 56mm Dual outlets and an 80mm single Inlet and a .75" gap between the Duals. If you want one, you can call Chris at Stainless Headers and order directly, and even have him do larger dual outlet dimensions for the 61mm BBK's if that's what you have.

Chris Stepp
Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc.
3051 100th St
Barnesville, MN 56514
1-800-290-3920
218-493-4509
headers@rrt.net
http://www.stainlessheaders.com

I'll post up pics of my Y-Pipe when I get it.
F-150speed
Bronco Info: 94 F-150 Extra cab, 4" lift, 35" BFG's

Post by F-150speed »

yogib wrote:No havent done a thing yet.My motivation lately has been horrible.Be glad you live in Cali. This rainy weather for the last 2 months straight sucks it right out of ya.Sometimes I hate Oregon.Ive been seriously looking at the FAST Ez-Efi setup, and thinking I may bag Mass Air all together.A friend is putting it on his race bronco right now, and im going to see what he thinks of it.
No kidding! This weather has been BS! I've been needing to change my ball joints but I can't fit my truck in a garage so I have been waiting for a few days of good weather. They have been few and far between and even then it is constantly threatening rain so I haven't felt like chancing it.
sydude

Post by sydude »

The Y-Pipe has arrived, and I'm very happy. Here are pics:
IMG_2910-small.jpg
IMG_2910-small.jpg (132.89 KiB) Viewed 750 times
IMG_2912-small.jpg
IMG_2912-small.jpg (141.82 KiB) Viewed 750 times
IMG_2908-small.jpg
IMG_2908-small.jpg (245.92 KiB) Viewed 750 times
IMG_2907-small.jpg
IMG_2907-small.jpg (240.2 KiB) Viewed 750 times
The only thing I realized I forgot is the nipple for the crankcase breather tube. So either I port the breather tube into one of the two intake tubes, or I weld in a stainless barbed nipple into the new Y-Pipe.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Sexy!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
sydude

Post by sydude »

Not bad for $95 or so, right? I'm looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference on the butt dyno.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

While I have a very hard time paying others for fab on something I could make I've gotten in the habit of thinking more about stuff like this and pricing lately. My thought process is now something like:

Well, I charge $95/hr when I fab for people (that's more of an IF than a when) and with materials cost and then the time (I always think I could do that in an hour, but I never could) it factors out that it's just easier to buy the piece. Still - I'll probably end up being stubborn and making one.

One thing I would have done and it's just because I'm a PICKY bastard is to bead roll each of the openings to put a little bead/lip there for the hose clamp to "catch" once you clamp the tubes/hoses on.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
sydude

Post by sydude »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:One thing I would have done and it's just because I'm a PICKY bastard is to bead roll each of the openings to put a little bead/lip there for the hose clamp to "catch" once you clamp the tubes/hoses on.
Yup, that was another thing I forgot about and that got left out.
RSR

Post by RSR »

Nice looking piece.
monkei

Post by monkei »

Hell yeah! I am totally ordering one of those! :!:
sydude

Post by sydude »

Call Chris, he really did a great job. Don't forget to ask him to put a breather fitting in and a bead roll at the end of each opening if you want one.
Drilim
Bronco Info: 94

Post by Drilim »

Very nice.