leaf spring travel Question

78Class3

leaf spring travel Question

Post by 78Class3 »

For the first time yesterday I was able to lift up the back of my truck with a forklift and check how much droop travel it got. I have a custom set of Deavers 12 leaf and 2.5", I also have solo extended shackles with their hangar drop bracket. I was shocked at how little the leafs drooped out. Measureing from where it sat at ride height to full droop was only at most 6"! Is that normal?
How are people getting 16" of wheel travel out of a similar set up? Where is that measurment coming from?

Thanks, I searched but couldn't find the right answer.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: leaf spring travel Question

Post by SteveG »

78Class3 wrote:How are people getting 16" of wheel travel out of a similar set up?
With lots of bump travel. Did you measure yours?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

how do you measure bump? I've got 10-11 inches of uptravel available until it hits the frame from ride height, but the springs won't flaten out that much will they. We lifted one tire at a time with the fork lift until the other one came off the ground and that bumped only about 3 inches from ride height.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

10-11" of bump travel plus 6" of droop is 16-17" of total wheel travel.

On a solid axle you can measure from the axle-tube to the frame. A solid axle will have more articulation than wheel travel.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

that seems like a long way to go for these springs to flatten out. So 6" of droop sounds right
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The springs look stiff due to having so many leaves but they are actually quite soft. They will bottom out without a problem.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

A big enough bump or enough load, and they will certainly flatten out and go to the bump stops (or frame). If the springs are new, they will also take some time to loosen up and droop more. Race springs seem to take about 50 miles to settle in, so drive them at least that long before you do any final shock tuning or make any decisions on whether they are to stiff.
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

thanks guys, makes me feel better.