Tranny Cooler and Gauge

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Tranny Cooler and Gauge

Post by tcm glx »

Hey guys,
So with my brother recently blowing his tranny, I am obviously a little paranoid, so I am planning on adding a nice additional cooler to the Bronco. My question is, how do you run it?

**Tranny>Radiator>factory cooler>additional cooler
**??????

Second question, I am looking at adding a B&M Tranny Temp Gauge, does the sensor need to run off the tranny pan? Or can it run off the lines coming out of the tranny?

Here is the gauge I am planning on running:
http://www.amazon.com/80212-Transmissio ... B0002A596I
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Re: Tranny Cooler and Gauge

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Tony,
The sequence isn't all that important, the critical and most important thing is to simply get the oil cool. So, I ran my tranny oil line out to a stacked wafer cooler and then into the radiator cooler. I wanted to knock the temp down so I would reduce the temp input to the radiator. When the tranny is getting hot, the engine is usually getting hot too. So, in order to reduce the engine radiator work, I ran the additional cooler prior to the radiator.

To best monitor your tranny temp is to see what's going into the tranny so pulling the temp from the pan show you what's going in...
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

BajaF250 wrote:Hey Tony,
The sequence isn't all that important, the critical and most important thing is to simply get the oil cool. So, I ran my tranny oil line out to a stacked wafer cooler and then into the radiator cooler. I wanted to knock the temp down so I would reduce the temp input to the radiator. When the tranny is getting hot, the engine is usually getting hot too. So, in order to reduce the engine radiator work, I ran the additional cooler prior to the radiator.

To best monitor your tranny temp is to see what's going into the tranny so pulling the temp from the pan show you what's going in...

Perfect Tom, that is what I was thinking.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

tranny-cooler-cooler (No rad cooler)
Gauge sender in the pan beside the temp switch
One cooler is the stock trailer pkg cooler that came with the Bronco. The other one is a B&M blower unit operated with the pan switch(180F)
Works in the most severe heat situations I have ever heard of.
Paul
PS; for guys that live in a cold climate plumb up a bypass line with a hand valve. And use the rad cooler when the big stuff is bypassed. If you do not have teh trailer pkg cooler get a JY unit off a 460 truck. PW
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Don't forget to wire up the torque converter switch like Paul has too Tony.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

I thought we were doing that at your place? Ja ja
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

tcm glx wrote:I thought we were doing that at your place? Ja ja
We can!! I meant get more info on it so we are prepared. :D
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Post by Dezertbronco »

I wanna hear more about this switch???
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Dezertbronco wrote:I wanna hear more about this switch???
=====
Tons of validated tech data on this fourm by many of the guys.
just search using a keyword and if you know the author you will find lots if tech info.
Result:
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... =converter

Same comment applies to the blower cooler over-ride switch. But I will let you search for that one.
PaulW
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The radiator exchanger is important to keep the transmission up to tempeture especially on a street truck. The transmission most likely failed from lack of maintenance, age, and towing / pulling hills with od on. Although a cooler added inline is a good idea, you may find your better off not knowing what the tempeture is. I have lots of customers that add a gauge and then become extremely paranoid when they see 210 degrees on it. Don't worry until you see 275+ on it for long periods.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Yup. Mechanics hate gauges. Ignorance is bliss and no comebacks.
Your numbers are much higher than I would like for my tranny. Of course it depemds on where you put the temp sender. The line out from the tranny temps gives hotter temps than the pan.
250F redline is commonly used for the park and wait temp regardless of the location of the sender.
180 to 190F is the sweet spot for the pan temp.

Want lower temps manually lock the converter.

Not sure about your comment about heavy load in OD. The converter is locked resulting in quite a bit lower temps, but the revs are lower meaning the coolers are rejecting less heat. We can discuss this forever, but until you have a led to tell you when the converter is locked and you probably won't uinderstand. Its very revealing.

I said dont use aftermarket coolers or bypass the rad cooler in cold climates and you would agree to that.
paulw
======
philofab wrote:The radiator exchanger is important to keep the transmission up to tempeture especially on a street truck. The transmission most likely failed from lack of maintenance, age, and towing / pulling hills with od on. Although a cooler added inline is a good idea, you may find your better off not knowing what the tempeture is. I have lots of customers that add a gauge and then become extremely paranoid when they see 210 degrees on it. Don't worry until you see 275+ on it for long periods.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

I run my gage in the factory inspection port slightly above the pan.

I towed a 4k race car from san felipe to ensenada Friday and never saw over 160 cruising in D at 50-55. Around town 140 is about the highest I see. In a rally/dez race type event I did it hit 200 I think maybe a little higher.

In the morning it rarely gets off of the 100 mark on my 13 mile commute to work.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Temps I'm quoting are the cooling line out. Inlet will be much lower. Both tell the same story with different numbers.

Automatics make huge amounts of heat in OD when towing or if they are pushing a brick at highway speeds with huge tires and no regear regardless if the converter is locked up. Not trying to argue, just my opinion.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/