ABS Removal

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: ABS Removal

Post by VintageIronFab »

Does anyone know if the F150 abs different from the Bronco on a 95 year? I had the RABS module on the frame I unbolted and I'm missing the pump and line and such like my 96 bronco has. I'm just doing a wiring harness swap from a 5.0 MAF truck on my 5.8 and there's an oddball plug that I can't seem to figure out.

Here's the pics of the plug and it comes out on the driver side part of the harness where the harness goes thru the plastic pieces on the radiator support.

As a side note I do not have the abs sensors on the front knuckles.
Attachments
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG (89.02 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG (84.48 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG (84.48 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0361.JPG (77.23 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Needles929
Bronco Info: 95 Part Deux

Post by Needles929 »

Reviving the dead! LOL

Hopefully someone else will benefit from this as well.

Just bought a 95 with the speedo jumping. The guy tells me that he had the PSOM replaced and there is a receipt that seems to validate that. He told me that he did not have them replace the VSS sensor in the rear because he couldn't afford it at the time. No problem, the part is cheap, so I drove it home. Two days later, the ABS light came on, Overdrive off light is illuminated all the time, and it started to shift kind of weird. The speedo seemed to also be bouncing to a greater degree as well.

I slid under the rear to find that the VSS looked to be recently changed "SURPRISE SURPRISE". I even found a brand new cable drive transmission speed sensor for the earlier model Broncos in the back that doesn't even go to this one. Obviously he has been trying to figure this out.
My question is.... Should I do the jumper method to start? This will give a direct signal to the PSOM from the VSS if I have read correctly so far. I don't believe that my transmission is in limp mode but it does seem to shift goofy and didn't start until the ABS light came on. The transmission is also newer. I called the place that installed it to see if they would check it for me under warranty. They exclaimed that the previous owner had made the same call. "Everything is fine with the tranny. Take it to Ford, just like we told the other guy"

Thanks in advance for the help.
95 Part Deux. Starting from scratch.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Cheapest easiest thing to do is check the ring ( make sure the teeth aren't damaged) and replace the sensor. Bad speed sensor will not code up but will affect the transmission shifting and ABS along with speedo read out.
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

How I read this - which to me is pretty damn confusing-- you unplug the ABS pump connect the 2 sets of wires and then methodically go through and delete all the wiring as all the wiring basically just routes through the ABS pump? That's how I read it- if that's the case it's pretty damn easy-- if not well it's nightmare city lol. Personally it would be great to have a non-postable sticky that people could follow and not comment on.
Attachments
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG (217.77 KiB) Viewed 2265 times

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

Agreed! What confused me is that some posts claim that the ABS and VSS system are completely separate and don't affect each other and some do. The diagram above tells me they are connected somewhat. I know that my vehicle starts to act funny only when the ABS light is on, which isn't all the time and the speedo jumps around regardless of ABS light.

I do think this would be a good sticky topic. I see many recent posts on all different sites about this issue but the last replies to the topic were 2-10 years old.
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

Well if I can confirm my question then this is easy just time consuming- if not a great way to find out is a razor knife and a small tool kit and a morning at the salvage yard doing exploratory surgery on a FSB with ABS

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

Well if I can confirm my question then this is easy just time consuming- if not a great way to find out is a razor knife and a small tool kit and a morning at the salvage yard doing exploratory surgery on a FSB with ABS

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

This is interesting. Speedo and intermittent ABS light caused by wire chaffing. http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/Dow ... f?id=41293
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Pull the codes before you try anything, ABS removal is the best fix
Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

tcinu2 wrote:Pull the codes before you try anything, ABS removal is the best fix
Bypassed the ABS with just the jumper method for now. Code pulled before disconnect was #37. I will pull the wires from the plug and continue the complete ABS removal later.

The speedo still bounces all over but the transmission is shifting great now. I can't believe how much effect it had on the transmission, literally felt like it was going out. Heavily considering the VSS relocation kit from Solo seeing is how I will nab a 9" when I find a steal on one.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

A typical ABS fix:
Swap out the module with the one in the rig. No need to open the brake lines. Find the exact P/N off yours and do a google search and get a cheap salvage.
Important to get the exact P/N off yours.
NOS units are above $400 and Salvage are much less than $100 depending on availability
Defeat the ABS for off road use with a jumper, fuse and a switch in the jumper. Works just like the ABE in not even there. Switch it back on for daily driver on the highway.
If you like the effort Yikes did to remove the whole system - Have at it.
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Post what P/N you need
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

I'd check the wires and connections all the way from the VSS at the axle all the way to the firewall. I've had some issues with the wiring harness plugs lately and wouldn't be surprised if that's a possible issue- that or the sensor is bad.

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Needles929

ABS Removal

Post by Needles929 »

VintageIronFab wrote:I'd check the wires and connections all the way from the VSS at the axle all the way to the firewall. I've had some issues with the wiring harness plugs lately and wouldn't be surprised if that's a possible issue- that or the sensor is bad.
Yeah, I replaced the VSS and checked the wires up the frame with a meter. Tone ring was said to be replaced recently but I can tell that isn't the case upon further inspection. No way that cover has been off in the last few years at least. That's what I get for striking a Craigslist deal in the dark, getting to emotionally enthusiastic about a Bronco and not fully looking over top to bottom. Lol
Feel as if I got a good deal anyways. I am changing the rear diff fluid and inspecting everything this weekend. Ordered the female plug pigtail as well cause it was cheap. The wires tested okay but one of the two clips on the plug were busted off. I will report back!
I should have jumped on the Solo VSS kit you had and ran new wires to the PSOM seeing is how I will probably swap rear ends down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

Just did this to my 96 and this absolutely works as pictured and the wire colors are correct - I used the larger orange-blue wire as my reference point on the connector. The diagram with the red and blue lines above is being shown in the same view that the actual picture that I just attached. I did also confirm that just removing the frame rail sensor will rend the speedo inoperable, trans not shifting properly and the OD light on the shifter to flash.
Attachments
4E375EF0-7734-4BAA-A130-E6DF1B1DD2F2.jpeg
4E375EF0-7734-4BAA-A130-E6DF1B1DD2F2.jpeg (855.91 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

PaulW wrote:A typical ABS fix:
Swap out the module with the one in the rig. No need to open the brake lines. Find the exact P/N off yours and do a google search and get a cheap salvage.
Important to get the exact P/N off yours.
NOS units are above $400 and Salvage are much less than $100 depending on availability
Defeat the ABS for off road use with a jumper, fuse and a switch in the jumper. Works just like the ABE in not even there. Switch it back on for daily driver on the highway.
If you like the effort Yikes did to remove the whole system - Have at it.
Paul, i am clueless when it comes to electrical. Do you have a diagram, or pictures of what you did?

I am not trying to remove the ABS as i want the truck to be relatively street friendly, and i want my gf to be able to drive it without having to worry. My Tacoma did not have ABS and it was serious pucker factor a few times when i was cut off on the freeway, or traffic stopped suddenly from 75mph. ABS in the dirt is awful, so i'd like an easy disconnect option as well.

Thanks in advance!
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Before you do anything else replace the rear diff sensor. Then test drive to see if the problem still exists.
The get the part number for the ABS module remove the battery and use your camera to get a picture of the part number. Do a search on Google to see what the thing is all about. And search You tube for r&r instructions. After that contact me.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

ABS disconnect of off road issue. Put a jumper on the ABS fuse and wire a switch in series with the fuse. Mount the switch on the dash. I will make a picture later.
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

Paul I just have to disagree- the abs on these is now 1996 technology at the newest and all the extra lines and such imo are just huge harbors for so many other issues. I’m genuinely glad mine is all gone.

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

PaulW wrote:ABS disconnect of off road issue. Put a jumper on the ABS fuse and wire a switch in series with the fuse. Mount the switch on the dash. I will make a picture later.
=== =
ABS defeat for offroad use is about the simplest wiring job you will undertake.
Replace the fuse with a terminals the same size (1/4") as the fuse. One terminal is soldered or crimped to one wire of the fuse and the other end of the wire from the new fuse holder and connect (solder or crimped) to a long wire routed to the dash inside of the car where you connect it to one side of the switch. Connect another long wire from the second terminal on the switch and route that wire back to the fuse. Solder of crimp that wire to the unused fuse wire. Mount the switch in a hole in the dash. Put a fuse in the new fuse holder with the same amps as stock. Tuck the fuse holder inside the cover of the fuse box.
Use: Turn off the ABS when you want but using the switch to "on". Proof it is off will be the ABS light on the dash. To reactivate ABS, operate the switch to "off" and restart the motor. Proof will be the ABS light on the dash will turn.
Crimp terminal
Image[/u
Solder/crimp terminal
[url=https://postimages.org/]Image