ABS Removal

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: ABS Removal

Post by PaulW »

VintageIronFab wrote:Paul I just have to disagree- the abs on these is now 1996 technology at the newest and all the extra lines and such imo are just huge harbors for so many other issues. I’m genuinely glad mine is all gone.
=== ==
I cannot imagine what you think is bad. I ran thes ABS switch mod for 15 years on my big bronco and never encountered any issues. Extra wiring for gadgets like radios and GPS are similar no brainer mods. The usual care of wire routing is obviously the way to avoid any issues. The mod you made to delete your ABS is way more tech savvy of a mod than just adding a couple of wires, fuse, and a switch.
Of course now you do not have ABS - REALLY ??
IMO, deleting a major safety item is questionable and shows questionable thought process. Stock is well designed and reliable as made by Ford.
Lets just disagree.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

PaulW wrote:
PaulW wrote:ABS disconnect of off road issue. Put a jumper on the ABS fuse and wire a switch in series with the fuse. Mount the switch on the dash. I will make a picture later.
=== =
ABS defeat for offroad use is about the simplest wiring job you will undertake.
Replace the fuse with a terminals the same size (1/4") as the fuse. One terminal is soldered or crimped to one wire of the fuse and the other end of the wire from the new fuse holder and connect (solder or crimped) to a long wire routed to the dash inside of the car where you connect it to one side of the switch. Connect another long wire from the second terminal on the switch and route that wire back to the fuse. Solder of crimp that wire to the unused fuse wire. Mount the switch in a hole in the dash. Put a fuse in the new fuse holder with the same amps as stock. Tuck the fuse holder inside the cover of the fuse box.
Use: Turn off the ABS when you want but using the switch to "on". Proof it is off will be the ABS light on the dash. To reactivate ABS, operate the switch to "off" and restart the motor. Proof will be the ABS light on the dash will turn.
Crimp terminal
Image[/u
Solder/crimp terminal
[url=https://postimages.org/]Image
Excellent, thanks Paul!

I have a friend that is kind of a electrical guru. I might have him help me wire up a momentary switch with a relay, so it automatically resets to ABS "on" whenever the key is cycled.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Good Plan
Boots & Slicks 14
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8L California Edition.
Location: The State of Jefferson,trying to move back to the SouthWest.

Re: ABS removal question......

Post by Boots & Slicks 14 »

Seabass wrote:There is a way to uninstall the entire system. There is a thread on FSB and maybe one on here. No lights, like it was never installed from the factory.
Waking up an old, but very useful thread. Anyone have a link to said thread in quote?

I read all 103 posts and didn't see a clear answer on how to do this mod without having the ABS light stay on?

I'm guessing you can pull the bulb out of the cluster which I would rather avoid if possible especially since I just had it out recently and it's tedious and stressful, but if it's the only option, I'll just have to man up..
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Personally having done this - if you had a non abs truck I’d doubt a bulb would’ve been in the dash- just pull it and move one. It’s a great time to put some LED’s in there. The only hassle is making new brake lines but that’s not bad especially if you have a good hydraulic shop - you bend your lines, mark where they need to terminate, and have the ends put on.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

ABS Removal

Post by Andy Jones »

I de-pinned the entire ABS harness and some other wires I didn’t need anymore. No ABS light ever came on. Super easy. You can have it all done on a Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boots & Slicks 14
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8L California Edition.
Location: The State of Jefferson,trying to move back to the SouthWest.

Post by Boots & Slicks 14 »

Andy Jones wrote:I de-pinned the entire ABS harness and some other wires I didn’t need anymore. No ABS light ever came on. Super easy. You can have it all done on a Saturday.

Good to hear. What year is/was your truck?
Andy Jones

ABS Removal

Post by Andy Jones »

Boots & Slicks 14 wrote:
Andy Jones wrote:I de-pinned the entire ABS harness and some other wires I didn’t need anymore. No ABS light ever came on. Super easy. You can have it all done on a Saturday.

Good to hear. What year is/was your truck?

Deslboy
Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 351. Currently being built. Solo c&t beams, solo radius arms, solo shock hoops

Post by Deslboy »

so once all the wiring is eliminated, will the brakes still operate with leaving the ABS pump system in with the factory brakelines running thru it? until I would have the time to build new brake lines...
Andy Jones

ABS Removal

Post by Andy Jones »

Deslboy wrote:so once all the wiring is eliminated, will the brakes still operate with leaving the ABS pump system in with the factory brakelines running thru it? until I would have the time to build new brake lines...
I’d scrap it.. new brake lines can be made up in a couple hours.

RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Deslboy wrote:so once all the wiring is eliminated, will the brakes still operate with leaving the ABS pump system in with the factory brakelines running thru it? until I would have the time to build new brake lines...
Your brakes will work with abs pump still in the system, mine ran that was for the last 10 years. Just recently I removed that pump and plumbed new hard lines. My ARB compressor now lives in that spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hdgasser
Bronco Info: 94 EB, stackin parts to make me a nice LT daily!

Post by Hdgasser »

Deleted the ABS recently but not the wiring… figured since it’s apart again and waiting parts I’ll try and tackle this mess of wiring.

If I get rid of all this extra wiring will it get rid of the ABS light? Or do I gotta break it like I did the airbag light??
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

With the guts of the ABs removed no need to mess with the wiring. If you get a light remove the bulb.

For others reading this thread

Don't remove the thing just use a switch which will allow ABS for on road use and on for off road use. The light will remind you of the position of the switch and use or non use of ABS.
This is the KISS method
Hdgasser

Post by Hdgasser »

I didn’t really have much of a choice… I needed the real estate.

I wasn’t gonna ditch all the wiring but it’s ALOT and it’s ugly.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Understand
I recommend leaving the stock wires as is.
Hdgasser

Post by Hdgasser »

That was fun…
1C0BDC66-8E1C-43A0-9644-B914254E2CDE.jpeg
1C0BDC66-8E1C-43A0-9644-B914254E2CDE.jpeg (347.87 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Hdgasser

Post by Hdgasser »

Hmmm… how’s that get twisted??
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Sooooo... I've only ever perused this thread. my ABS actuator just got removed. The control module and other electronics are still installed. I'm hoping to not need to dive into this before a trip next weekend.

Does the unhappy shifting only occur when the module is unplugged?
Sho nuff,
SteveG