Help with E4OD switch

magic carpet XLT

Help with E4OD switch

Post by magic carpet XLT »

i just picked up a van with an E4OD. the OD switch had been messed with by the previous owner, it was just hanging down from the dash. you pushed once and OD turned off, pushed again OD engaged. it did not appear to be the original switch or connectors...

the switch had 3 wires, 2 went to one terminal and were +12v, and i'm assuming the other terminal was the load since it read no voltage in key on position.

i wired in a sweet lighted toggle switch to do the on/off duties, but now you have to flip the switch twice before anything happens. it is wired the same as the push button switch that was already in there.

what did i do wrong? do i just need a momentary push button? i would like to have a light so i know when OD is turned off as well, basically i want it to work like the stock one, just as a toggle instead of a push button.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Help with E4OD switch

Post by philofab »

One wire is for the light, one for the switch, and one is common. You need a momentary switch because the truck will always default to OD being on a startup.
magic carpet XLT wrote:i just picked up a van with an E4OD. the OD switch had been messed with by the previous owner, it was just hanging down from the dash. you pushed once and OD turned off, pushed again OD engaged. it did not appear to be the original switch or connectors...

the switch had 3 wires, 2 went to one terminal and were +12v, and i'm assuming the other terminal was the load since it read no voltage in key on position.

i wired in a sweet lighted toggle switch to do the on/off duties, but now you have to flip the switch twice before anything happens. it is wired the same as the push button switch that was already in there.

what did i do wrong? do i just need a momentary push button? i would like to have a light so i know when OD is turned off as well, basically i want it to work like the stock one, just as a toggle instead of a push button.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
magic carpet XLT

ok, that makes sense. so how do i wire that?

would i wire the indicator light on the +12v side, then into the load side of the momentary switch? then the common on the ground side of the push button?

i guess what i don't get is what makes the light turn and stay on?

forgive the ignorance, i've never had one of these fancy electronic automatics...
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

The light must be an LED installed with the positive to anode and negative to cathode. The cathode is the short lead and marked K or -.

1 = violet/orange = B = red/yellow= 12v power

2 = tan / lt blue = C = tan/white= when this wire gets 12v pulse, it tells the computer what mode to go into.

3 = green = A = white/lightgreen = the negative of the light in the stalk. The computer grounds this wire to light the indicator light.
magic carpet XLT

does it have to be an LED? thanks for the help, i think i will be able to salvage this mess...
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

magic carpet XLT wrote:does it have to be an LED? thanks for the help, i think i will be able to salvage this mess...
To work right yes.
magic carpet XLT

and by working right do you mean that it will flash when there is a malfunction and light when the OD is off?

sweet.

wired up a push button and 12v LED, should get it installed tomorrow so we'll see how it works out.
magic carpet XLT

worked perfect, thanks for the help philo!
Drilim
Bronco Info: 94

Post by Drilim »

Andy,

Just saw this and your reply question on your other thread. I didnt realize that the switch they had rigged up was a momentary.

Glad you got it all worked out.