Help with Bronco "Flame out".

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Help with Bronco "Flame out".

Post by philofab »

1. It's a 47 uF (or farad) capacitor. Not a resistor. They do completely different things. A resistor is measured in Ohms.

2. Good job on attempting (and successfully!) repairing your own ECM. Electronics are only as complicated as you make them.

3. As long as you don't have cold solder joints it should last. Capacitors only have so many cycles before they need replacing. As long as you install them in the right direction, they are the same farad rating, and the same or more voltage rating this fix should last you a while.

You're ahead of most people when it comes to troubleshooting or you got way lucky on a problem that would have challenged most mechanics. Either way I'm glad you got it handled.
Conejoracer wrote:Okay, two capacitors were leaking on the ECM. After calling around, nobody had one in stock, and they were not cheap. I decided to give it a go at fixing it. First attempt; a trip to Radio Shack, a bit of soldering, and she fired right up! Then a pop and smoke. Sheesh. So I pull the ECM (only partially reinstalled in case of this happening), and a 47Fu resistor I installed had exploded. It turns out I had accidentally bought a polarized resistor, and it was installed backwards. Back to Radio Shack to get a NON polarized Fu47. Soldered it in and success again! I'm a real hack when it comes to electronics, and I worry that my soldering job may not hold, but other than that, fixing the ECM for less than $5 is so much better than spending $162.99 for the cheapest ECM I could find locally.
If anyone has a working F2TF-DA ECM laying around, I'd love to buy it for a spare!
Thanks for all the help, you guys are great.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Conejoracer
Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 5.8, Beater

Post by Conejoracer »

Sorry I meant to say capacitor, I edited the post. The fuel pump running continually with the key on engine off lead me to the ECM (after eliminating the relays as a possibility). Site's like this one and FSB along with Google make troubleshooting so much easier than in the past!
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Congrats on the fix
Jeremy
Conejoracer
Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 5.8, Beater

Post by Conejoracer »

I just wanted to pass on a couple of observations after the repair. The Bronco starts immediately now, where previously it would crank for 2-4 seconds before starting. The throttle response feels crisper as well. I'm not exactly sure what the capacitors that I replaced in the ECM do, but the Bronco runs much better now they they have been replaced.