TTB vs. THE WORLD (AKA differences between Ford TTB axles)

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: TTB vs. THE WORLD (AKA differences between Ford TTB axles)

Post by philofab »

Dust wrote:Ford says that they are going to protect their out of production suspension design...
3D Solids will happen soon.
Did you tell them you are developing aftermarket products for them and not planning on using the design?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

philofab wrote:
Dust wrote:Ford says that they are going to protect their out of production suspension design...
3D Solids will happen soon.
Did you tell them you are developing aftermarket products for them and not planning on using the design?
Ummm... isn't that sort of contradictory I need the design to design the new design:lol:
But I know what you are saying and yes, and I didn't give up, pointing out that the TTB was/is completely obsolete.
We'll see.
Dust

Post by Dust »

Basic question that nobody may have the answer to.
Based on the neutral axis of the beam (CL) what is the (approx. is good enough for the moment) "kingpin inclination".
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Dust wrote:Basic question that nobody may have the answer to.
Based on the neutral axis of the beam (CL) what is the (approx. is good enough for the moment) "kingpin inclination".
I'll measure the D50 and the D44 tomorrow. Other than caster it should be constant.
Dust

Post by Dust »

philofab wrote:
Dust wrote:Basic question that nobody may have the answer to.
I'll measure the D50 and the D44 tomorrow. Other than caster it should be constant.
Thanks!
The only time I'm going to have to play with this is at the end of the day and it is dark and cold out there.
Might be a Bigfoot or something out there too. :lol:
I'm going to start the CAD files at-least with the basic points.
I'm using 7° as a starting point; no reason, just needed a number.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'm guessing it's closer to 10* but I'll wait and see what Philo comes up with.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Dust

Post by Dust »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I'm guessing it's closer to 10* but I'll wait and see what Philo comes up with.
Could be, but if I create the reference geometry correctly it will be just change a number and who knows what it will be when I attempt to find the offset for a 37-38" tire :o
I'm still learning this CAD package so lest nights effort was, in the end, deleted :lol:
Dust

Post by Dust »

I hate to clutter up this thread but... Mod. please feel free to clean my posts as necessary!
Just headed out the door and received a reply from for that basically directed me everywhere but Ford.
I have been noticing this more with Ford over past few years, back in '03 I could get anything I wanted just for the asking however shortly after that; today even while dealing with a consumer issue on a 2010, not so much to nothing at all.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Dust wrote:I hate to clutter up this thread but... Mod. please feel free to clean my posts as necessary!
Just headed out the door and received a reply from for that basically directed me everywhere but Ford.
I have been noticing this more with Ford over past few years, back in '03 I could get anything I wanted just for the asking however shortly after that; today even while dealing with a consumer issue on a 2010, not so much to nothing at all.
No need to clean the thread. All of the relevant info will be compiled at the beginning in my posts. D44HD/D50 KPI is a whopping 15 degrees with no caster. I'll get the D44 measurement later, as all my D44 stuff and my Bronco are not here at the shop.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Just measured the KPI on my Bronco and it appears to be about 11 degrees. I never realized these things have so much KPI.
Dust

Post by Dust »

philofab wrote:Just measured the KPI on my Bronco and it appears to be about 11 degrees. I never realized these things have so much KPI.
Thanks for that info.
I was looking at the D44 today and I guessed 10°. I'm suspecting that Scrub Radius is more important to tire life and handling then on a Solid due to the camber swing.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Picture:

The top two axle-shafts are D44 TTB, the three below are D35 TTB

I'll measure and give dimensions later.
Attachments
D44-D44 TTB Axles.jpg
D44-D44 TTB Axles.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Dust

Post by Dust »

Dana 50 (8-lug) Hubs
Dana 60 Spindle W/Spacer
Alloy 35-Spline D60 stub shaft/Warn Lockout
D60 Alloy long shafts to the Diff./Slip.
Spicer 1480 Transmission Output slip (Female)
D60 (1410) output on the D50TTB
Possibly Wire EDM/broach 35-Spline Side gears
D50 Differential C-Clip Elimination.

The real question is the geometry.
To proof the drive parts a D44/D50 might be the best though just going =Length
might shorten total development.
Mr.N
Bronco Info: In between Bronco's

Post by Mr.N »

philofab wrote:Information for this thread has been sourced from Wikipedia, my own knowledge, and various other websites and forums.
Philofab,

Since you copied my pictures about the Dana 50 vs 60, and used that link instead of my link...

I would appreciated acknowledgment.
I took the time to compare the TTB 50 against the 60 since no one else did that I could find.
I ask you edit your first post to point out my pics, thanks.

Mr.N
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Mr.N wrote:
philofab wrote:Information for this thread has been sourced from Wikipedia, my own knowledge, and various other websites and forums.
Philofab,

Since you copied my pictures about the Dana 50 vs 60, and used that link instead of my link...

I took the time to compare the TTB 50 against the 60 since no one else did that I could find.

Mr.N
:roll: I know Philo personally and especially in this forum its only spreading knowledge...thanks for taking the time to add to the offroad world.....BTW welcome to the forum and feel free to let us know a little bit about yourself and your ride.
Jeremy
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Mr.N wrote:
Philofab,

Mr.N
Credit should be given where it is due and if those are your images then I, too, thank you for putting them together. I'm sure Philo will have no problem editing his post to add your link/credit. You might consider adding a water mark to future images to ensure that you will always be credited whether the borrower spells it out or not.

Thanks for being civil about this. I'll let you and Philo take care of it via PM.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Mr.N wrote:
Philofab,

Mr.N
I didn't mean to step on any toes, please send me your info and I will update the thread. I saved those photos years ago and did not save any info with them. Thanks for taking the time to compare them, I have no d60 stuff to do it myself.
jimmyd
Bronco Info: sold 94 (wanna bronco on FSB) 1997 f250 hd

Post by jimmyd »

I have read through this whole post and really appreciate everybody compiling this info. I have also read some of this same info on other website/forums too "rangerstation" being an example.

The one thing that I thought i missed when i began my project was the difference between the D44HD beams and D50 but yet have found someone to reference this. i pulled a set of D44HD beams from a junkyard truck and sent them out for C&T because everywhere i read said that the any D44hd beams were the exact same as the D50 beams. i am unsure of the year of the junkyard truck (no body on it) but i am pretty sure it was mid 80's which may contribute to the differences, i have no idea. my truck is a 97 D50 ttb BTW.

within 4 or 5 days of begining my build, i realized that the beams were quite different. the lower balljoint mount is drastically smaller on the d44hd beams than the 50 ( again it may be a year difference in D44HD beams, i have no idea), but when i revisited the info i had previoulsy referenced, it only said that the spindles were different. however, i believe that correlates back to the lower balljoint mounts being smaller. the uppers are exactly the same luckily. and also lucky that the 44's were smaller than 50's because i just brought it to the machine shop that the fab shop i work at, are friends with. it was literally the last bore he pulled out of the bucket (one that looked like it hadn't been used in 5 years) that was the exact pitch as my original 50 beams (plus he did it for free!!).

next, the hole alignments for the third member are slightly different. about 4 or 5 holes were slightly off and i had to die grind them about 1/16th.

also, this may be hard to explain, but i had drill out the 2 holes on the tab that is at a 90 degrees to the arm, that bolt the third member to the driver ttb arm. they were a just a bit smaller and a little out of alignment.

i think a resourceful guy can easily work around these issues, if you know about them before hand. i had a hard time finding a donor set of 44hd beams or 50 beams to be able to send them out to get C&T. so if a 44hd set are the only ones available, you should be ok.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

big-d
Bronco Info: 1987 F150, 351W/418 Stroker, E4OD, F250 1356 W/fixed yokes, Sterling 10.25, D50 TTB 4" over

Post by big-d »

Are the 2wd and 4wd pivot brackets the same on the F250's like they are on the F150's? I have read every thread I can find about TTB's on FSB, Pirate, DR, Race-Dezert and several other sites. Just a few more details to work out so I can start the build on the front end of mine!