TTB vs. THE WORLD (AKA differences between Ford TTB axles)

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: TTB vs. THE WORLD (AKA differences between Ford TTB axles)

Post by dtbback »

shawn t wrote:Old thread but this seems like the best place to pass on this information.

I have confirmed with ARB tech that their new D50 locker -RD158- can be converted with their Side Gear Set 728 HO31 (bolt in, no modification required) to set the locker up for 35 spline axles.

The 81-82 diff case (non c-clip design) can be modified with Timken LM29749 and LM29710 cup and cone to allow a 1.5" shaft. Although the cup shows it's a little larger than the stock cup, it tapped right in. The stock cup actually just flopped in the bore but had never spun. The new cup is .10 narrower than the stock cup and cone and doesn't have the funky little retainer ring on the cup but I believe they can be made to work. It appears 83+ cases are going to be more problematic as the needle bearing they use is much smaller od and the case might have to be over bored.

I have asked several custom axle shaft manufacturers about modifying a D60/70 35 spline raw cm forging to fit as the diff stub. Looks like it will work but waiting for final replies.

It was suggested in an earlier post that a 1480 trans slip yoke could be used for the slip joint. Problem is everyone I have looked at the angularity is minimal (ears are too short). So still trying to source that.

Once the slip yoke is sourced then custom length 35 spline cm axles are not a problem.

And a true 35 spline D50 will be born soon I hope. Question will be weather to stay with the smaller outer stub shafts as the weak link and fuse.
Bumping an old thread. Does anyone know if this center section was actually built?
t.r.c
Bronco Info: 79 Bronco, 545ci stroker, TTB conversion, 4.5” fabricated beams/3.5” bypasses etc, AutoFab Glass

Post by t.r.c »

dtbback wrote:
shawn t wrote:Old thread but this seems like the best place to pass on this information.

I have confirmed with ARB tech that their new D50 locker -RD158- can be converted with their Side Gear Set 728 HO31 (bolt in, no modification required) to set the locker up for 35 spline axles.

The 81-82 diff case (non c-clip design) can be modified with Timken LM29749 and LM29710 cup and cone to allow a 1.5" shaft. Although the cup shows it's a little larger than the stock cup, it tapped right in. The stock cup actually just flopped in the bore but had never spun. The new cup is .10 narrower than the stock cup and cone and doesn't have the funky little retainer ring on the cup but I believe they can be made to work. It appears 83+ cases are going to be more problematic as the needle bearing they use is much smaller od and the case might have to be over bored.

I have asked several custom axle shaft manufacturers about modifying a D60/70 35 spline raw cm forging to fit as the diff stub. Looks like it will work but waiting for final replies.

It was suggested in an earlier post that a 1480 trans slip yoke could be used for the slip joint. Problem is everyone I have looked at the angularity is minimal (ears are too short). So still trying to source that.

Once the slip yoke is sourced then custom length 35 spline cm axles are not a problem.

And a true 35 spline D50 will be born soon I hope. Question will be weather to stay with the smaller outer stub shafts as the weak link and fuse.
Bumping an old thread. Does anyone know if this center section was actually built?

Bumping a Bump on an old thread... any updates on the 35 spline setup?
shawn t
Bronco Info: no bronco's but a 1980 TTB F150 and a 1999 2wd F150 soon to become mated together!

Post by shawn t »

Still on the bench in the shop. It will work but I've had other priorities. I do hope to get back to this soon. Jack at CTM can make the slip yoke. He's done several for equal length TTB's.