98-ish F-150 intake manifold job - how long?

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

98-ish F-150 intake manifold job - how long?

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Hey guys - got a message last night that my cousin blew the intake manifold in his F-150. I think it's a 98 - but 97-01 style for sure F-150. Being the family "car guy" I get the call that they don't have much $$ to fix it and need it done ASAP - can I help...
I have no clue what motor is in it or how they decided it was the intake manifold as I have yet to be able to call them back and discuss, but I figured I'd ask here about how long this job should take.

It's been quite a while since I had my expedition and even then the thing was pretty much new and I didn't own it long at all so I never did anything but change the oil on it. I can't remember anything about it aside from the engine compartment was WAY tight with the 5.4l in there. I'm assuming this F-150 will be the same.

Anyone done any top end work recently and want to give me an idea of how much of a pain this will be to deal with?

This makes me remember why I like the basics of a 70's carbed motor...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: 98-ish F-150 intake manifold job - how long?

Post by SteveG »

Alldata shows 4.3 hours for the V6 and 4.6L and 5 hours for the 5.4L. Of course, this is for a seasoned mechanic with lots of tools. It's a shitty job and will probably take you a full day. The smaller engines are easier than the 5.4L
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks Steve. I figured it was an all day deal for sure but was hoping it wouldn't be...

While I consider myself pretty hand around trucks and I do have more tools than many fab shops/mechanics in the area I will be down at my aunt's house in San Juan = 1/2 hour or so from the shop. I don't think they have a ton of tools and knowing my luck/experience I will forget a tool that I can't get the job done without. Man I'm not looking forward to this...
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

So I talked to my uncle (different uncle) and he said the last 2 of these F-150's he's had come in have ended up having cracked heads. 17 hours labor and replacing water pump, head bolts, getting the heads welded then a valve job, etc. He also reminded me that these overhead cam engines are somewhat "fun" to tear apart. I think "pain in the ass" was more of the phrase. And that is coming from a well seasoned professional. Looks like I won't be trying to tackle this next weekend...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I probably wouldn't do this job at all, but if I was, it sure as hell wouldn't be at someone else's house away from every tool I own.

Cylinder heads on a 5.4L.... F-that!

Thread moved to General Tech.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

It's actually the 4.6L but still...

Sorry about the wrong location - I put it "down there" since it wasn't really bronco related.
Prerunbronc
Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.8 coilovers, deavers, 2.5 fox, full glass, air bumps, 9" rearend

Post by Prerunbronc »

They aren't too bad to do I have done it a few times
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Well I have not removed the intake but I have had the joy of repairing blown spark plugs on the 6.2 and the 5.4 the biggest problem is that everything is tight on space. I recomend when you do tackel the job you have a good selection of socket extensions and swivel joints in some instances I have had to use 2 swivels the 4.6 should be a little roomier though. Were you able to get any more info on what happened?
Jeremy
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

I have a 97 and a 98, both with 5.4 engines. You certainly don't work on them on the side of the road, you need an entire shop full of tools. The 97 has 280K miles and has blown out 4 of the sparkplugs, but otherwise has not had much trouble. The only thing I have found tougher than repairing a blown plug is replacing the heater core, I still have visible scars. Would really hate to try and puill the heads on one of these in the truck! Very curious to hear what the problem is on this one.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

300 wrote:I have a 97 and a 98, both with 5.4 engines. You certainly don't work on them on the side of the road, you need an entire shop full of tools. The 97 has 280K miles and has blown out 4 of the sparkplugs, but otherwise has not had much trouble. The only thing I have found tougher than repairing a blown plug is replacing the heater core, I still have visible scars. Would really hate to try and puill the heads on one of these in the truck! Very curious to hear what the problem is on this one.
We have a Lisle spark plug thread repair kit for the older 5.4 and V10 that makes the actual repair job a piece of cake. Everything is done with an air ratchet and has positive stops so you don't drill or thread too far... well thought out and easy to use. Let me know if you want more info on it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

SteveG wrote:
300 wrote:I have a 97 and a 98, both with 5.4 engines. You certainly don't work on them on the side of the road, you need an entire shop full of tools. The 97 has 280K miles and has blown out 4 of the sparkplugs, but otherwise has not had much trouble. The only thing I have found tougher than repairing a blown plug is replacing the heater core, I still have visible scars. Would really hate to try and puill the heads on one of these in the truck! Very curious to hear what the problem is on this one.
We have a Lisle spark plug thread repair kit for the older 5.4 and V10 that makes the actual repair job a piece of cake. Everything is done with an air ratchet and has positive stops so you don't drill or thread too far... well thought out and easy to use. Let me know if you want more info on it.
I have the kit from Lok n Stitch in Turlock. It requires air or electric drills to do the reaming and drilling a set pin hole. This is a real problem with the plug holes that are under the cowl, unless you have 90 degree drill adapters. Using an air ratchet sounds like a better solution. Still wouldn't call it a piece of cake! Fortunate it never happened in Mexico. Even with grease, you still lose a lot of the chips into the hole, don't you?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

300 wrote:I have the kit from Lok n Stitch in Turlock. It requires air or electric drills to do the reaming and drilling a set pin hole. This is a real problem with the plug holes that are under the cowl, unless you have 90 degree drill adapters.
That sounds like our old kit that we no longer use. It sucked.
300 wrote:Using an air ratchet sounds like a better solution. Still wouldn't call it a piece of cake! Fortunate it never happened in Mexico. Even with grease, you still lose a lot of the chips into the hole, don't you?
You'd be surprised. Maybe not a piece of cake on its own, but compared to the old kit... gravy. Yeah, you still drop metal in the hole. They all do, though, and we've yet to have a problem. All customers of this service are forewarned as to the possibility of catastrophic engine failure, though. Their options are, take a chance and repair the hole for two to three hundred dollars or we'll yank the heads and give for two or three thousand.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Funny - a buddy just paid someone to do the rear spark plug in his 2001 with the 5.4l. Sounds like a very common problem.

I haven't heard anything more yet other than he had a mechanic friend diagnose the thing and that guy said it looks like a blown intake manifold gasket. I told him what my other uncle said about it quite possibly being the heads and he is now researching options. The truck has +/-150k miles and probably isn't worth a ton so he's not sure if he would rather start tearing this apart and see what he finds, drop in a rebuilt/replacement motor, or just sell the truck.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Yah the plugs blowing out are a problem, as Steve said you do lose some metal chips but with the metal being aluminum generally its not a problem. I have used the certa thread Kits very easy all things considered unfortunatley I have done all my spark plug repiars by hand very slow...last one was in 100+ degree heat and hung over lol. When I had my F-350 I carried the kit with the truck and toold to make the repair. I have noticed that there does seem to be a correlation to the onset of hot weather. My dad just had one blow on my old F-350 too
Good luck on the F-150
Jeremy
Prerunbronc
Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.8 coilovers, deavers, 2.5 fox, full glass, air bumps, 9" rearend

Post by Prerunbronc »

I use the big sert kit. Super easy to use just make sure the valves are closed