How much camber for cut and turned beams?

RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

How much camber for cut and turned beams?

Post by RyanDS650X »

The steering wheel is a little off and pulls to the right so the bronco is going in for an alignment soon. How much camber should the front tires have? Ive attached a pic to show what im working with.
Attachments
camber.jpg
camber.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
RyanDS650X

Re: How much camber for cut and turned beams?

Post by RyanDS650X »

driver and passenger shots
Attachments
passenger side.jpg
passenger side.jpg (96.71 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
driver side.jpg
driver side.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

I run mine at 0. +1 is ok too. Toe and caster split are a more important though. 1/2 to 3/4 more on the Right (pass) side is a good start. 1/16 to 1/8 toe in is perfect.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Depends on who you talk to. That is definitely too much positive camber though. 1/2 degree of positive camber, 1/16 - 1/8 tow in, and as much caster as you can get works well for me. Seems to wear evenly are ride nice.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

+1 to -1 would be acceptable, but I prefer 0 to -1/2. Although, I ran a bit of positive camber on my Bronco and 2wd F150 without issues.

It looks like you have too much toe in too, maybe why it pulls. What kind of alignment cams are in there now? Toe in will depend on wear of the steering components. Newer stuff gets less toe in, old sloppy stuff gets more so when you get rolling it winds up straight. Be careful of excessive toe and the death wobble and or wandering. Too much toe in can give you more positive camber too.

A decent alignment can be done in the driveway. Basically, I would set the alignment cams to get you camber first and set your toe after, drive, center wheel with tie rods, drive, recheck your camber, recheck your toe, adjust, drive. If there are adjustable cams (JBG) run the excess into the caster.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Remember that camber and toe work together. A wheel riding on it's edge turns a little.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Thanks for all the input guys. As some of you know, i bought this truck as it sits now. I dont know what alignment cams are in it. My brother will be taking it to an alignment shop to have the work done.

-shockseals.com
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I run all my beamed fords with a bit of positive camber. They drive better (on the street) and wear tires better. I hate the way they feel on pavement with negative camber and they trash tires too fast.

A dirt truck is a different story, of course.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
vegasff13
Bronco Info: 94 XLT 5.8 4in Rancho with 33in BFGs

Post by vegasff13 »

Which shop in town is he taking it to? Im in Vegas also and havent had much luck with lifted ttb and alignment shops in town. Let me know if you find one that works out ok.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Hes in Phoenix... Maybe a ford dealer would be your best bet though. Ford Country on Gibson is where i would go in Vegas.

-shockseals.com
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

RyanDS650X wrote:Hes in Phoenix... Maybe a ford dealer would be your best bet though. Ford Country on Gibson is where i would go in Vegas.
Dealerships rarely have GOOD alignment techs. Your best bet is to ask around. Go to a few (good) parts stores, to a few shops that don't do alignments and ask who they recommend, ask (good) body shops where they take their stuff.

Aligning beamed Fords properly can get expensive, so you don't want to have to pay for it twice. Make sure you get a before and after printout so you can refer to it in case of problems or changes.

If the shop you take it to bats an eye and hesitates about aligning an "off-road truck", keep looking.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:Dealerships rarely have GOOD alignment techs.
I had a buddy that worked at the local Nissan dealership. I was there for some reason and I saw another tech aligning a car. He was sitting on the front right fender and having someone else hit "print" while it was in spec.

I've also gotten numerous cars back from the alignment shops here and they drive worse than my tape measure alignment.

If I'm ever in AG during the week I'm taking my truck to Steve...
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Im going to get ahold of R&H (Gun-its builders out in AJ) hopefully they can steer me in the right direction.

-shockseals.com
David Kennedy

Post by David Kennedy »

This truck does seems to have more camber than other cut-and-turned beam trucks. It currently has the Superlift adjustable camber sleeves in the upper ball-joint locations. Various lower coil spring seats and coil spring combinations have been fitted to the truck to try to dial it in. Autofab suggested that the coil springs need to be pounded on to get them to settle... but I never got a chance to do it.

I like the idea that Brian had of machining down the factory lower coil spring seats (http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... ?f=9&t=946) which would lower the front ride height and reduce the camber. I also have friend that's making custom height lower seats out of steel for dialing in TTB ride height.
Coil SPring mount bucket.jpg
Coil SPring mount bucket.jpg (201.25 KiB) Viewed 919 times
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

That helps out ALOT David, thanks for the extra info and the PM. Would the aluminum upper and lower intake maniflods and the cylinder heads make that much of a difference in the weight on the front end??

-shockseals.com