Air Intake Tube?

yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Air Intake Tube?

Post by yikes »

Not sure what to call it, but I'm looking for something to re-route my intake tube. Do you guys have any sources for this? I need something with a tight bend and/or flexible/bendable with sizes that will get it from the throttle body to the single inlet MAF.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Re: Air Intake Tube?

Post by Nick »

I can't remember the name of the company, but there is one that is plastic and comes prebent, so you can cut a 90, 45, 22 1/2, or whatever angle you need. It comes complete with couplings. I think it's AFE, or Airaid.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Well that's a good start. Thanks Nick!
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

I used silicone hose for the intake ducting on my Comet when I converted to fuel injection. Check out http://www.siliconeintakes.com/. I just used about 3/4" of metal tubing to join each piece of hose. You can also look at http://intakehoses.com/
Last edited by Phoenix0783 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

You can check Pep Boys and similar parts stores that carry "tuner" parts. I used an aftermarket air intake off a Honda Civic on my Ranger that I put a 5.0L in.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Phoenix0783 wrote:I used silicone hose for the intake ducting on my Comet when I converted to fuel injection. Check out http://www.siliconeintakes.com/. I just used about 3/4" of metal tubing to join each piece of hose. You can also look at http://intakehoses.com/
Ha! Sweet! they've got a 3" to 3.25" elbow that would be perfect.
convoy

Post by convoy »

Brian my brother had ordered products from siliconeintakes and the products came nice and fast. When I eliminated the POS K&N oiled airfilter for the 5.8l I used this intake hose straight from the dealership to run a AEM filter. I heated the small inlets in a large oven at our office so I could get two peices of 2 1/2" Dia. exhaust to connect to the existing throttle body tubes (cut down of course) then the larger inlet I ran a 4" Dia. exhaust piece. Works great and it might work for you since I got this idea from a website that was solely about converting from SD to MAS.
[Image
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

I bought several intakes, including that F5TZ-9B659-F from a 1995 4.9L six cylinder F150 that you show above.

I opted to just modify my existing K&N tube for the time being. Fits well, works good. Maybe some pretty blue silicone reducers and couplings are in order...

1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

Seattle, not sure what TB you're using (stock/56/61mm) but that k&n molded tube has very small outlets at the end designed for use with a stocker TB. Probably a bit restrictive for your 408!

Convoy, that 4.9L intake tube has a 4" I.D. on the single opening??
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

monkei wrote:Seattle, not sure what TB you're using (stock/56/61mm) but that k&n molded tube has very small outlets at the end designed for use with a stocker TB. Probably a bit restrictive for your 408!

Convoy, that 4.9L intake tube has a 4" I.D. on the single opening??

Yup. I am using the BBK 56mm and may upgrade to the 61mm with a custom intake tube, but I do believe that the throttle body connections are the same size. The engine does not choke until approaching 6000 RPM, which is way beyond the designed power band.

The 4.9 intake tube has a 3" I.D. opening. That is one reason why I did not use it for the non-stock modified application.
Last edited by Seattle FSB on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
convoy

Post by convoy »

I don't recall the outlet's opening, could of been 3" i.d. but after heating it up a bit I used 6 inches length of 4" dia exhaust to connect to a conical AEM air filter with a waterproof dryflow wrap. Works awsome!

This is the Dry filter 4" opening at 9" length. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIS-21-3059DK/ I switched after rebuilding the last engine after noticing how much oil from the K&N made it into my intake manifold.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

This worked out great! Thanks for all of the tips. I picked up a 90 3 to 3.25 silicon adaptor from intakehoses.com. I was a little nervous ordering from the po-dunk website, but everything went great and they shipped promptly. Couldn't be more pleased. The MAF plug reaches the new location too!

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Brian, that is where the air box is on 85 or 86 F150s with the fuel injection option. Not sure why Ford moved it other than cool air. It may be worth creating a heat shield behind and below it and plumbing fresh air to it. Directly above it is a low pressure area on the hood and may not work well unless it is a rear facing scoop (cowl induction).
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/